The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-07-2010, 10:15 PM   #1
Strange

The Painless harness

Well I had my new toy(72 swb) delivered to my shop yesterday, and after getting it under the scope I discovered the whole wiring harness is a GIGANTIC disaster. It has all new gauges but none of them are hooked up and there are no wires for them anywhere. Whats left of the harness is spliced all over the place and there are un explained bare wires aplentyThe crescent shaped steering column connector is hooked up but none of the signal lights work.

I really like the way the Painless harnesses look, how are they in terms of quality and ease of installation? Im using "ease of installation" loosely as I know this is not one of the easiest things to do. I have never done a full chassis harness before. There one of the 67-72 Painless harnesses on ebay for $390.00, is there another manufacturer that makes model specific harnesses for a good price?

I posted pictures of my project in the Welcome section if you'd like to see
Strange is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:22 PM   #2
msgross

Re: The Painless harness

I bought the painless when they had a grat rebate, very good quality...

another options is the American Auto Wire for 69-72, it might be a notch better than the painless is is usually found at a decent price.

They also have a plug and play original replacement harness, M&H has one as well, but they run $800 for the entire truck.

The first two will require some ends to be added, the later has everything that you need already attached.
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"

Last edited by msgross; 10-07-2010 at 10:22 PM.
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:32 PM   #3
chevy71c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strange View Post
Well I had my new toy(72 swb) delivered to my shop yesterday, and after getting it under the scope I discovered the whole wiring harness is a GIGANTIC disaster. It has all new gauges but none of them are hooked up and there are no wires for them anywhere. Whats left of the harness is spliced all over the place and there are un explained bare wires aplentyThe crescent shaped steering column connector is hooked up but none of the signal lights work.

I really like the way the Painless harnesses look, how are they in terms of quality and ease of installation? Im using "ease of installation" loosely as I know this is not one of the easiest things to do. I have never done a full chassis harness before. There one of the 67-72 Painless harnesses on ebay for $390.00, is there another manufacturer that makes model specific harnesses for a good price?

I posted pictures of my project in the Welcome section if you'd like to see
Welcome, I've used a harness from American Autowire on a 55 Belair before and was a good quality harness with clear instructions, each wire labeled every few inches and schematics. I'm not familiar with any others but know there are a few different companies out there.

http://www.americanautowire.com/69-72truck.html

Justin

71' C10 SWB
00' Dakota R/T
05' Z-71 Silverado
16' Z-71 Silverado

Build Thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=376904
chevy71c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:33 PM   #4
Strange

The plug and play option is a touch out of my range for now, that may change though. I downloaded and breezed through the manual that comes with the Painless harness. I read that two of the connectors are no longer produced, did you encounter any trouble popping the pins out of the old connectors and placing them into the Painless supplied replacements?
Old 10-07-2010, 10:40 PM   #5
Strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by chevy71c10 View Post
Welcome, I've used a harness from American Autowire on a 55 Belair before and was a good quality harness with clear instructions, each wire labeled every few inches and schematics. I'm not familiar with any others but know there are a few different companies out there.

http://www.americanautowire.com/69-72truck.html

Justin

Thank you for the link! American Autowire is defiantly on the table. Your build is looking great btw
Old 10-07-2010, 10:47 PM   #6
1stimer

I have a mess of wiring, too, and it is outside the scope of what I am comfortable tackling. What would a reasonable estimate of hours be to completely rewire a 72 using one of the aforementioned kits?
1stimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 10:53 PM   #7
gkesseru

I can't afford American Autowire prices, but their instructions are great.
http://74.8.159.74:8081/recordlist.php
00 F150
68 Step (named El Scorcho by PO)
Build thread for the new El Scorcho http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=392932
gkesseru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:00 PM   #8
Strange

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkesseru View Post
I can't afford American Autowire prices, but their instructions are great.
http://74.8.159.74:8081/recordlist.php
Wow those are some great instructions. American Autowire is looking better and better!

2007 Acura MDX Tech (my daily driver)

Build thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...18#post4230818
Old 10-07-2010, 11:07 PM   #9
laid_out_70

i installed a painless wiring harness in my 70 c20. i have no experience or understanding of wiring other then negative and positive. went togeher without a hitch. i got it for a horrible price, dont ask. but i had it together after a few weekends. i took my time and the only thing i need that wasnt included was a diode of the alternater wire. all the wires were labed every few inches also and the plugs that i had to reuse were the stering column and something else, cant remember but it wasnt diffucult removing old pins and installing the new ones. all the fuses come pre installed and has extra wires for things like power windows,ac, 1 wire alternator and a few other accessories i cant remember
laid_out_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:27 PM   #10
1stimer

Quote:
Originally Posted by laid_out_70 View Post
i installed a painless wiring harness in my 70 c20. i have no experience or understanding of wiring other then negative and positive. went togeher without a hitch. i got it for a horrible price, dont ask. but i had it together after a few weekends. i took my time and the only thing i need that wasnt included was a diode of the alternater wire. all the wires were labed every few inches also and the plugs that i had to reuse were the stering column and something else, cant remember but it wasnt diffucult removing old pins and installing the new ones. all the fuses come pre installed and has extra wires for things like power windows,ac, 1 wire alternator and a few other accessories i cant remember
Great! So....how much will you charge me to do the same thing to mine?
1stimer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2010, 11:58 PM   #11
tantrumpipeline
Master Procrastinator

running an EZwire setup on a few past projects and ordered one for my current build as well, labelled wires, good fitment, never had any issues and they seem to be the lesser expense when looking anywhere for our trucks, under $200 in the US
77 2wd short fleet beater
52 short project
tantrumpipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 12:17 AM   #12
laid_out_70

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1stimer View Post
Great! So....how much will you charge me to do the same thing to mine?
ha. not much but you would have to come to me. i ride a bike for transportation.
laid_out_70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 06:18 AM   #13
OARNGESI

I bought the amerinan auto wire on ebay like 460 shipped on ebay all new conections enen came with extras like a headlight switch and new key switch
OARNGESI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 08:37 AM   #14
Tom Vogel
2WD Jimmy

AAW... save your coins if you need to, but buy AAW. Do a searsch on yhis site.
Tom Vogel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:27 AM   #15
68BBC

I just got finished putting a painless harness in my truck, and I have to say all in all it was not bad at all. The only things you really have to take from your old harness is the parking lights, tail lights, and your steering column (half moon) plug. I was really not looking foward to doing it, but I just took my time, and I think that it turned out great. They also gave plenty of wire, so you can run it how you want. I went with the painless #10206. I have no complaints.
68BBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 10:34 AM   #16
Cbrown67

my buddy showed me a wiring harness he picked up for his 55 chevy its called EZwire
looked pretty sweet and i think only like $100 i plan on doing that in mine
Cbrown67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 02:40 PM   #17
Lance-ftw

I'm also in the market for a wiring harness but I shied away from the 500+ dollar stuff from the more popular sites.

I just came across this..

http://www.ezwiring.com/wiring_harness.html

How do I know which one works? Are these good for our trucks? Which one shoudl I use? Do I ask too many questions? I like grapes, do you guys like grapes?
Lance-ftw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 03:03 PM   #18
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

it depends on what you have on your truck. power windows, power antenna, power locks, cruise and alot more come with the EZ, I used one on mine and it went together fine, used some new brass (?) connections but used the old bushings, they are easily pushed out, take a real small flat blade screw driver and push through the connector ( there is a small tab that locks it in there) and it will pull out the back easily.

If you dont use the circuits then just snip them off at the fuse block or tape them well and hide them until you need them.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote