The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-08-2010, 04:21 PM   #1
Menekali

First time owner with some questions.

Hello everyone. I just picked up a 74 Shortbed C/20 350/350. The block is brand new essentially from mid line up (the bottom has yet to be rebuilt).

I've got some questions though. This is my first truck. I'm used to working on Z/28s, and other sports cars. I'm not used to some of these things on the truck, and I have yet to get one in this condition. Rust is an issue, especially along the doors, just next to the bench seating on either side. So I've got a list of questions, and if anyone could provide information, links, personal experience anything I'd be greatly appreciative.
  • The interior is shot. Dash pad looks like someone lost their sense, and punched out the dash. Or it was in an accident, who knows. I just got another from a junk yard (local ecology) and was wondering how hard fiber-glassing a new one would be. It seems easy enough, but was wondering if there are any specific tutorials around for this application.
  • My bench seat is pretty shot too. Not only the cover, but the springs. What years, and from what other trucks will bolt right in? Any years that require no modification would be awesome, but if necessary what would I be looking at getting in to? There are a few bench seats on craigslist around here from newer vans and what not, and they're awesome.
  • RUST. UGH. It's a California truck, but there is rust. Under the carpet in the cabin, it's pretty ugly. A long the area between the bench seating and the doors is ugly, and holey as all hell now. I plan on laying down new carpet etc... when I do the seating, but is there any simple solution to fixing the floor rust? Anything I can bolt / weld right down? I'm mostly an engine guy, and self taught at that, I'm afraid of messing around with this. If picture are necessary I'd be more than happy to take some in a bit.
  • The chrome bumpers are also pretty rusty. How can I go about getting the rust off the chrome and cleaning it up a bit? Short of replacing it, if I can't get it off, I'm going to just black it out, I'd prefer to keep it chrome though. Again, not my area, but if there's a way I can rub and buff it out I'd be very happy .
  • The doors. Damnit the doors... The locks do not work. The window cranks are completely off. One of the cranks for the window seems like it's sticking out further than the other. What a hassle. Is there any easy way to replace the guts of the doors? At the junk yard, I just took a gander, and ripped one apart, and ending up feeling like a jack ass because I couldn't get anything useful out of it. Any guides / tutorials on taking everything out of one, and putting it into mine?
  • Exhaust. No cats, no mufflers etc.. But it came with an H pipe, and glasspacks. Guh... Would 3.5" Straight pipes be TOO loud on one of these crate 350s? I'm used to working on my LT1s, where an H pipe with glass packs would be heard for blocks to come. This seems childish in comparison, but I know it's capable of more. So I figured maybe I could just get some pipes bent and throw them on there.
  • I'm looking to put a flat black coat on the truck. Would rattle canning be sufficient? I'm looking for a black primer look, and do have access to a compressor etc... but I'm just experienced in spraying with them. I'm going to bang out some of the dents, and holds, bondo them out, and go from there.
  • My gas tank seems to leak. Not the tank it's self, but gas keeps running up into the over flow. In fact, when filling sometimes it just pours right out of the overflow. I can't figure it out.... It seems there might have been a mild impact at some point, and it's pretty difficult to fill up. Can I just plug the overflow until I straighten the bed back out a bit?

I've got plenty of questions, but I can't bombard everyone at once heh. More information in my signature. I'll get some pics for you guys of some of the troublesome areas.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to working on the truck, and having fun in a new community (big z28.com contributor here). Again, thank sin advance, and I apologize if it's too much for one thread ><

Cheers!
Attached Images

Last edited by Menekali; 10-08-2010 at 05:14 PM.
Menekali is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 04:49 PM   #2
jasonroman

Re: First time owner with some questions.

well hello and welcome aboard from new jersey.
unfortunatley, i cant be much help to you. i dont know much about much, so i come here and ask questions.
good luck with your truck. im sure soon enuff you will be getting a bunch of replies to each and every question you have posted. great bunch of guys here with tons of knowledge.
post pics. always helpful and everyone wants to see another square!!!
jasonroman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2010, 05:11 PM   #3
Menekali

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasonroman View Post
well hello and welcome aboard from new jersey.
unfortunatley, i cant be much help to you. i dont know much about much, so i come here and ask questions.
good luck with your truck. im sure soon enuff you will be getting a bunch of replies to each and every question you have posted. great bunch of guys here with tons of knowledge.
post pics. always helpful and everyone wants to see another square!!!
Thank you

Here are some support pictures. More to come
Attached Images

Old 10-08-2010, 05:13 PM   #4
Menekali

More pictures to help the advice along

Also as far as anyone can see with the body, I can fix most of the obvious dents and dings with bondo correct?

Should I be going for something like Rage Extreme (http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=146) or would something like a Bondo Quick Fix be sufficient (http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/BONDO...motiveQ5fTools).

Again, sorry for the barrage of questions! I've got a lot I know heh.
Attached Images

Last edited by Menekali; 10-08-2010 at 10:34 PM.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:36 AM   #5
nbpro
Account Suspended

welcome aboard from ALA
Exhaust
3.5" Straight pipes to big 2 1/2 as big as i would go on a street setup.
interior and bench seat
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=420500

RUST
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...made+easy&aq=7

chrome bumpers

Over time, chrome oxidizes and develops rust spots. The higher quality the chrome plating, the more it will resist rusting, but eventually, it will happen. If you allow chrome to go too long without removing rust, it will become permanently pitted.
so some chrome polishe will help you here

The doors
http://www.youtube.com/results?searc...ruck+door&aq=f

flat black
if it was me i would go with hot rod flatz but if your going for a primer look be sure to use some type of epoxy because regular primer is not uv protectant and will turn white and chalky eventually hope this has helped somewhat oh yeah the gas tank id get that looked into right away by a pro

Last edited by nbpro; 10-09-2010 at 11:49 AM.
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
nbpro
Account Suspended

i wouldnt go over a fourth of an inch in the bondo repair tends to crack if you do
http://www.evercoat.com/productDetail.aspx?pID=32 should be all you need and was advised by a bodyshop owner here in the forum

Last edited by nbpro; 10-09-2010 at 11:41 AM.
Old 10-09-2010, 11:52 AM   #7
Hulk Will Smash

Rust looks very typical of a SoCal beach truck. Salt air laying on the body for long periods of time rots them from the top down (you should seen my neighbor's '65 C10). I'd guess that bad weather stripping (dried out from our socal heat) and maybe a blown heater core has caused the internal rust. Water has run into the cab corners and sat until it rotted. Probably under the damp floor mats or carpet.

Pre '75 you don't need a cat on the truck in CA. No smog check. The truck is worth the effort on that alone. I'd probably replace the cab rather than mess with the rust repair. But Classic Industries up in HB has a lot of body stuff for your truck and it's relatively inexpensive. Especially compared to your Camaro stuff.

I'd probably just pick up a cheap set of turbo mufflers and replace the glass packs. Probably all in for under $50.

Oh yah, gas tank... My bet would be you've got a plugged vent.

Good luck and enjoy that classic truck! Remember, they're not making any more 1974 Chevys!

It's 11 PM, do you know where your IAC pintle is?

Last edited by Hulk Will Smash; 10-09-2010 at 11:56 AM.
Hulk Will Smash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:34 PM   #8
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Quote:
Originally Posted by Menekali View Post
  • The interior is shot. Dash pad looks like someone lost their sense, and punched out the dash. Or it was in an accident, who knows. I just got another from a junk yard (local ecology) and was wondering how hard fiber-glassing a new one would be. It seems easy enough, but was wondering if there are any specific tutorials around for this application.
There have been several guys glass the stock pad and smooth it out. I'll see if I can find one of the many threads on the subject.
  • My bench seat is pretty shot too. Not only the cover, but the springs. What years, and from what other trucks will bolt right in? Any years that require no modification would be awesome....
You can use any bench from 73-87 truck, or 73-91 Burb. You will have to use your brackets if you get a bench from a Burb.
  • RUST. UGH. It's a California truck, but there is rust. Under the carpet in the cabin, it's pretty ugly. A long the area between the bench seating and the doors is ugly, and holey as all hell now. I plan on laying down new carpet etc... when I do the seating, but is there any simple solution to fixing the floor rust? Anything I can bolt / weld right down? ...
They make replacement panels for the most common rust areas. Check with Forum Vendor Capt Kaos for a great deal and top quality service.
  • The chrome bumpers are also pretty rusty. How can I go about getting the rust off the chrome and cleaning it up a bit? Short of replacing it, if I can't get it off, I'm going to just black it out, I'd prefer to keep it chrome though. Again, not my area, but if there's a way I can rub and buff it out I'd be very happy .
You can't "fix" chrome plating. You can have the rechromed, or stripped at a chrome shop to paint them.
  • The doors. Damnit the doors... The locks do not work. The window cranks are completely off. One of the cranks for the window seems like it's sticking out further than the other. What a hassle. Is there any easy way to replace the guts of the doors? At the junk yard, I just took a gander, and ripped one apart, and ending up feeling like a jack ass because I couldn't get anything useful out of it. Any guides / tutorials on taking everything out of one, and putting it into mine?
Replacing the internals of these doors in like giving a cat a bath in a tub of alcohol. Plan on cussing and bleeding a lot. If your door are rusted, it woulds be easier to find fresh door assemblies and replace everything.
  • Exhaust. No cats, no mufflers etc.. But it came with an H pipe, and glasspacks. Guh... Would 3.5" Straight pipes be TOO loud on one of these crate 350s? I'm used to working on my LT1s, where an H pipe with glass packs would be heard for blocks to come. This seems childish in comparison, but I know it's capable of more. So I figured maybe I could just get some pipes bent and throw them on there.
If it were me I would keep the H pipe and trash the glass packs. Replace them with something a little quieter and still free breathing. Running 3.5" on a stock 350 is a waste of time and money.
  • I'm looking to put a flat black coat on the truck. Would rattle canning be sufficient? I'm looking for a black primer look, and do have access to a compressor etc... but I'm just experienced in spraying with them. I'm going to bang out some of the dents, and holds, bondo them out, and go from there.
Do not use "flat" black as it will look chalky in no time. Use satin black instead. It can be done with rattle cans, but your better off buying something that can be sprayed. Borrow a or rent a compressor for a weekend and the results will be well worth the extra effort.
<

Cheers!

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 01:53 PM   #9
nbpro
Account Suspended

dont know if id go as far as replacing the cab from what i can tell in the pics it can be repaired with some new floor pans and so on now if you already have a new cab its a different story first thing i would do is wire brush everything off to see how bad the cancer is then go from there but the rust i saw is pretty typical for these trucks that havent been maintained i would think about a new hood looks like that one is bent where it rusted
good luck

Last edited by nbpro; 10-09-2010 at 01:57 PM.