The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-09-2010, 08:30 AM   #1
Pkrjkr

3 on the tree shifter linkage

Can someone tell me if the shift linkage for a 3 on the tree is the same for a 6 cyl and 8 cyl? I am trying to restore my 70 GMC back to the column from the floor and I am having trouble finding the linkage.
Pkrjkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 08:47 AM   #2
Palf70Step
State of Confusion!

Re: 3 on the tree shifter linkage

As far as I know they are. I do not think any parts are reproduced, so you'll have to find a parts truck or pick up the pieces from someone going the opposite way that you are.

Member of Louisiana Classic Truck Club (LCTC)

Bill's Gallery
Life isn't tied with a bow, but it's still a gift.
Live simply. Love generously. Care deeply. Speak kindly. Leave the rest to God!

Last edited by Palf70Step; 10-09-2010 at 01:11 PM.
Palf70Step is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 09:17 AM   #3
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

Three-ona-tree.....that's old school! My late aunt called 'em Wiggle Sticks. May have been because she was driving a '47 Hudson. The first car I had was a '54 Ford, that had a big, chrome, 2-inch diameter knob that meant that I had to hold it in Reverse and especially second gear.

The shifters in these trucks and the earlier (60-66) trucks were bad to get hung up when shifting from First to Second. I used to get out and under the hood to release the levers on the lower part of the column, but learned that I could just stop, pull the shifter back into first, then start again and shift slowly and deliberately into second and not get greasy. That tactic was useful when I was in college (for the 2nd time).

Good luck on your restoration project.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.

Last edited by ChevLoRay; 10-09-2010 at 09:18 AM.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 12:59 PM   #4
Pkrjkr

Thanks for the info guys, now all I have to do is find the parts. Yeah, it's old school. But then again so am I. This GMC was built the year I graduated from high school and I really want to put it back the way it rolled off the line. On a scale of 1 to 10 this truck is a seven before I start the rebiuld.
Pkrjkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:09 PM   #5
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

I graduated in '65, and I've owned 3 from that year, so I understand your sentiment. My '69 C-10 is from the model year that found me returning from a 15-month tour on the island of Taiwan, and the same year that I started a 179-day TDY at Bien Hoa AB, RVN. However, I never envisioned myself owning/driving/retstifying one of them. To be honest, my truck tastes were not for this body style, yet here I am....neck deep in my truck and wishin' it was back on the road. One of these days, Alice....One of these days....

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-09-2010, 02:32 PM   #6
capev86

my 72 burb c20 has a saginaw with the 3 on the tree. the '66 and newer saginaw had a synchro first gear and a 7 bolt side cover (vs 4 bolts on the earlier style). you don't see them anymore and it is nice having a column shifter up out of the way but the fun of shifting yourself and using a clutch. i like it so much that i just tracked down a 66-69 unit with the borg warner overdrive in place of the tail housing for a bolt in upgrade. i just need to track down the wiring harness and a lock out cable and i will be able to install it and enjoy 60-70mph highway driving.
capev86 is offline   Reply With Quote