The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
53GMC

Connect Old GMC Steering to S10 - easy process

Hey guys,

I found a new way to connect my S10 bottom end shaft to the old column of the 1953 GMC steering with much less strain than using the astro van linkage mixed with the S10 linkage, and searching down parts, etc.

So here is how i did mine....all on accident at first but it came together so easily (about 1 1/2 hours) that i wanted to share with you all...pictures are here to help if i didnt explain it well enough

1 - i cut the bottom end of the S10 steering column off where the smaller end of the tube begins. I cut straight on through the smaller rod on the inside as well as the large tube with the bolting plate at the bottom. I was left with the internal rod (to be used) and the large tube at the bottom with the bolting plate (which bolted to the firewall in the S10).

2- the tube from the bottom i took out and inserted over the end of the GMC steering shaft. It was a snug, but easily movable connection. The length of the shaft was 6 3/4" long (exactly what you will need).

3 - The bottom end of the S10 tube connects to the GMC column shaft as well as the S10 linkage that inserts into the steering D tube of the S10. I welded the S10 tube to the GMC shaft (make sure your steering wheel is lined up straight like the tube so that when your wheels are straight, your steering wheel will be right side up!) and bolted the two S10 sections together like normal.

4 - I then slipped the lower end of the S10 larger tube over the bottom of the GMC Column tube to add support (this piece is essential for support) and easily bolted to the firewall.

5 - insert S10 end into D shaft and bolt the column to the dash...and THERE YOU HAVE IT! easy as pie but takes a little more sweat to get done!

took me about an hour and a half and went fairly easily...even if it was by accident....i love the results and am proud of that big ole' wheel back in the cab!

hope this helps some of you guys from running around scrap yards for some parts and helps you just use what you already have there...

pics continued in next post

53GMC
Attached Images

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=357365

53GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:29 PM   #2
53GMC

Re: Connect Old GMC Steering to S10 - easy process

pics continued
Attached Images

Old 10-12-2010, 05:58 PM   #3
OrrieG

Don't you need a bearing at the bottom of the steering column sleeve to keep the shaft centered in the outer column? It would seem with only the top bearing when you turn under power the universal joint will try to push the shaft in a circle binding or hogging out the upper bearing. I know my kid got in real trouble once when the lower bearing retainer failed on his 74 truck and the bearing dropped loose letting the bottom of the shaft move around, had a pretty interesting time getting it stopped at highway speed.
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 10:57 PM   #4
53GMC

Thanks OrrieG. I will look into getting that added to the setup....a little more stability never hurt...right? advice like that is why i have you guys! thanks again