The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1969 - 1972 Blazers and Jimmys Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-11-2010, 10:37 PM   #1
aztecworrior

carburetor or distributer?

i have a question regarding my jimmy.. its been acting funny lately. im really confused with the driving characteristics lately.. used to run fine but i had to replace some parts, (edelbrock carb, and distributer internals.)
it will drive fine, then come in and out of power.. (rpms will go up.. down...up... down...) almost sounds like the truck is misfiring.. the only difference is it will only do it iff i blip the throttle while driving around.. very weird.. let me know if you have any ideas.. i thought because it came in and out of power if might be spark.. but, your the experts! thanks!
aztecworrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:40 PM   #2
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

Re: carburetor or distributer?

Dizzy internals? Did you replace the module? Or have it out and not replace the heat sink goo? Almost sounds like you are having heat issues with the module.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 10:50 PM   #3
AlaskaMatt

I have been fighting weird things like this for over a year. New carb, new coil, cap, rotor, plugs, wires etc. Never seemed to fix the issue. Each of those things were overdue but they didn't fix the intermittent power flux I had. Sometimes it ran pretty well, then without explanation it would be a dog even during the same drive. My buddies thought I was nuts, every time I tried to show them it of course was having one of it's good days (either that or I got the "it's a 350 and a heavy truck of course it's a dog"). Anyway...

I put in a new MSD dizzy on Sunday. It's like a new truck. Seriously i should have just bought a new one a year ago. It's smoother and has more power in my basically stock 350 than I have ever had since owning the rig.

Matt

My Website

Last edited by AlaskaMatt; 10-11-2010 at 10:54 PM.
AlaskaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:12 PM   #4
aztecworrior

so what msd setup did you go with? photos? price?
by the way, big fan of your truck... those pics of it in alaska are just amazing!
aztecworrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-11-2010, 11:13 PM   #5
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlaskaMatt View Post
I have been fighting weird things like this for over a year. New carb, new coil, cap, rotor, plugs, wires etc. Never seemed to fix the issue. Each of those things were overdue but they didn't fix the intermittent power flux I had. Sometimes it ran pretty well, then without explanation it would be a dog even during the same drive. My buddies thought I was nuts, every time I tried to show them it of course was having one of it's good days (either that or I got the "it's a 350 and a heavy truck of course it's a dog"). Anyway...

I put in a new MSD dizzy on Sunday. It's like a new truck. Seriously i should have just bought a new one a year ago. It's smoother and has more power in my basically stock 350 than I have ever had since owning the rig.
Can't say the same thing here, but I did just put in a new Skip White dizzy and so far its working well. My engine is new, so I'm just getting a feel for how it is.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 01:12 AM   #6
AlaskaMatt

Quote:
Originally Posted by aztecworrior View Post
so what msd setup did you go with? photos? price?
by the way, big fan of your truck... those pics of it in alaska are just amazing!
The streetfire, I would have to look up the exact model. It was about 180, but can be had for 150 or so from summit. Summit hammers us on the shipping up here so 180 at the local Napa seemed just fine. I don't have any photos of mine but here is a link to what I bought.

http://www.msdignition.com/Products/...stributor.aspx

Thanks for the comments on the rig!

Matt

My Website
AlaskaMatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 06:53 AM   #7
chuckmc8
It's alsways something.....

I had a similar issue with the Edelbrock carb on my 67. It would misfire on oppoiste sides of the engine- I finally traced it back to the carb has a passage to get fuel from one side of the carb to the other and it was stopped up in the middle-it nearly drove me crazy. With my Weiand manifold, one side of the carb does 4 cyls and the other side does the other 4, but i had to look at how the runners on the intake went to which cylinders, and when I did, I realized that the cylinders that were misfiring were all fed by that one side of the carb. It would run fine for about 1/4 mile ( then would use up the gas that had made it through the nearly clogged port in the top of the carb) and then those 4 cyls would run out of fuel. Take the carb top off and remove the needle seats and spray carb cleaner thru the passage from where the fuel comes in and make sure it flows into both fuel bowls.....worked for me! PS, I thought it was a misfire and bought a new HEI dizzy and installed it to eliminate that from troubleshooting. when that didn't solve the prob, I finally found that clogged fuel port. Sorry for the long reply. Hope this helps!
1968 C10 Black with red interior and orig paint. 5.3 / 4l60e,3:73 POSI 17" Torq Thrusts
1968 CST 514 Red with black interior. Buddy Buckets, Factory A/C, PS, PB- 20" AR custom shop TT, 5.3 and 4l60e
chuckmc8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 07:54 AM   #8
hgs_notes
GEARHEAD

Might be the fuel filter. I had a rusty gas tank and it kept clogging the filter. It acted a lot like that.
hgs_notes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2010, 08:21 AM   #9
pound41

if they are high mileage check compression I have 2 blazers and both had those issues. Ran good just not great. Change carbs dizzys etc. 7 cylinders great 1 on its way down. put top ends in both motors
pound41 is offline   Reply With Quote