The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-13-2010, 01:56 PM   #1
BarnabyHooge

Parked for the winter :( Need Advice

I've decided that instead of keeping my "rough around the edges" '71 on the salty streets of Chicago over winter, I'll be parking it next to my in-laws garage in the 'burbs. It'll probably sit for from mid Nov. until about March.

Is an expensive outdoor cover really necessary? My only concern is rust since the paint is roughed up anyway. I'm certain snow will still be getting at the bottom with or with out a cover. Can I just tarp the bed?

Thanks!
BarnabyHooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:37 PM   #2
RPBurris

Re: Parked for the winter :( Need Advice

My truck has sat outside since i owned it. I would suggst getting a cover made to withstand staying outdoors. They are only about $200. I got mine from LMC and it fits good. Only complaint would be one of the corners ripped at the seam by the bed. I have a bed cover on mine and if you dont it will fill with snow and water. Maybe put something in the bed to keep it from sagging. i think it is the best $200 spent.
Old 10-13-2010, 02:42 PM   #3
LilD

Any cars Ive stored outside have went uncovered. Snow isnt gonna hurt anything. The salt that wouldve been getting on the truck is what you want to avoid. I would suggest focussing more on winterizing. Anti freeze level, gas stabilizer, getting the tires off the ground..........
LilD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:46 PM   #4
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Wouldn't hurt to sprinkle a few mothballs on the manifold and under the seat to make sure critters don't take up residence.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:48 PM   #5
don t. - 72gmc

Quote:
Originally Posted by BarnabyHooge View Post
Can I just tarp the bed?
FWIW....We put a blue tarp over a car for the winter. It left scratchs in the doors, fenders, quarter panels, roof. Anywhere it wasn't tied down completly, the tarp flapped in the breeze and left scratches. In our case, not a big deal, it needs a paint job anyway.

Have fun....don t. ....
don t. - 72gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 02:59 PM   #6
rsavage

You can buy one of those temporary type garages with side curtains, front and back for a couple of hundred bucks (conduit type pipe frame with tarp roof/sides. It would need to be securely staked down so strong winter winds wouldn't take it for a ride. Maybe your inlaws wouldn't object? If you get one of those, I'd also put a tarp down underneath the truck. The ground moisture can do a lot of damage.
There are also a lot of places that store cars inside during the winter around my snowy/salty neck of the woods for a 2-300 bucks. Well worth it I think. Check around with other car guys in your area.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 03:08 PM   #7
Lee H

"rough around the edges" will be just fine without a cover. As mentioned above, antifreeze, gas stablilizer, moth balls. Fresh oil and filter would be good.

1965 Corvette roadster, 44K miles, 327/365 SHP, 4 speed, side exhaust, knockoffs, teak, second owner (bought in 1970), Have ALL numbers matching components.

My frame off restoration thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=556703
Lee H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 04:02 PM   #8
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

NOT MOTH BAQLLS INSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

use drier sheets put a few in the vents and make sure you set the heat to HOT over the winter it keeps the vents closed to the inside!!!!!
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:10 PM   #9
Longhorn Man
its all about the +6 inches

if they use sale brine in your area, then you'll want a cover. In areas that use brine (salt water calcium mixture) you can taste the sale in the air miles away from the roads.
It's real bad stuff.
Longhorn Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 05:32 PM   #10
Dads69C10

move to Texas and drive your truck all year !
Old 10-13-2010, 07:01 PM   #11
ETsC10
Hand Crafted C-10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hottrucks View Post
NOT MOTH BAQLLS INSIDE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

use drier sheets put a few in the vents and make sure you set the heat to HOT over the winter it keeps the vents closed to the inside!!!!!
I agree! I know of no way to get the smell of mothballs out of upholstery except by removing it from the truck and airing it in the sunshine for several weeks.

Forum Guidelines and Rules
Buying and Selling Code of Conduct
Become a Board Supporter!
Truck FAQ

Ellen... the boards artsy-fartsy, eclectic, truck-lovin' gal-member...
ETsC10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 07:21 PM   #12
epashhans

Yeah, DON'T use moth balls unless you love that smell. I had a neighbor put them throughout his camper to keep mice out. It ruined that camper... you could smell them 5 years later in that thing!

I agree...

1. Make sure Antifreeze is good to however cold its going to get
2. Fuel stabilizer (I use seafoam...great stuff)
3. I pull the battery and put it in the basement on a 2x6 and cardboard (then trickle charge before I put it back in)
4. I usually pull the wheels and tires and put them inside for winter. Or fold over cardboard and put that and wood between them and the ground.
5. Set a few mouse traps and check them occasionally.

If your cab/or windows leak at all, it might be good to get a tarp or cover. We get snow and then thaws all the time, so there is always water running down everywhere...and it will find those leaks into everything.

Thats about it!
Old 10-13-2010, 08:03 PM   #13
sailed2japan
Jonny

I'd also suggest that when you ad the fuel stabilizer be sure to runn the truck enough so that all the fuel in the whole system has stabilizer in it. Also top the tank all the way to the top to prervent condensation forming on the insides of it and causing rust. Personally I like to run wintered vehicles every couple weeks, just to keep them fresh. Keeping the rubber of the ground is also a great idea, otherwise you can develop flat spots on your tires. Maybe get some junk wheels/tires to slap on for storage. A friend of mine used to use an engine fogger that oiled the top end of the motor on his boats before he put them away. I've never used one, but he said you just spray it down the intake until it causes the motor to die. Supposed to keep the top end for getting any surace rust.
A veteran - whether active duty, retired, national guard or reserve is someone who, at one time in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to 'The United States of America', for an amount of 'up to and including his life.' That is Honor, and there are way too many people in this country who no longer understand it."
-AEC Hundley USNR
sailed2japan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:27 PM   #14
mikey531

This is what worked for me

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=370267
mikey531 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2010, 08:34 PM   #15
mrein3

I've stored at least one car for the winter every winter since 1987.
Here is what I do.
Antifreeze - test it. Make sure it is good to -40.
Now that all gas has some ethanol in it, you HAVE to treat it. In MN you can get ethanol free gas but I would treat even that. Sta-bil says one ounce treats 2.5 gallons. A twenty gallon seat take needs 8 ounces. Go to the filling station. Pour in 8 ounces of Sta-bil. Fill the tank to the top. Drive to the in-laws. By the time you get there you probably have treated gas in the carb.
No moth balls. If you can stand the smell of Irish Spring soap, get a bar and whittle it into chunks into a plastic container. Divide it in two. Put one on the floor of the cab, and one under the hood.
I pulled tires once since 1987. Just leave them on the ground. If they don't leak, they'll be fine.
No tarps! You will scratch your paint with one. MOST communities have rules against those temporary garages. Check with your in-laws local government unit before you plunk down any money for one. Snow doesn't hurt them. Salt does. Keep it off the road and you'll be fine there.
Pull the battery. I put mine on boards but that isn't for the old wife's tale about them losing charge to the concrete. I put them on boards so any acid on them doesn't hurt my floor.
I fog every outboard I own (I own five right now). I have never fogged a V8 car engine (I own seven right now).

Next spring charge the battery a day before you want to run it. Install battery. Remove coil wire. Crank engine until you get the oil light off or see pressure on the gauge. Start it. Drive it home.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:15 PM   #16
BarnabyHooge

Thanks for this tips everyone.
BarnabyHooge is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2010, 01:36 PM   #17
KEL
72 GMC

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=411066