The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-16-2010, 08:13 PM   #1
Thadious

AD truck intermittent wipers....?

Well, after building the kit and getting everything set up... it's time to work on the wiring for it. I decided that I could live with a single speed, but I really wanted some sort of intermittent setup for the wipers...

So, some serious online research and off to the wrecking yard... the best work out I could come up with was a dashboard mounted setup from a mid 70's to late 80's F**d switch w/intermittent module... $45.

Now... studying the wiring diagrams, it wasn't too difficult to get the switch to wipe in both high and low settings, even to get the intermittents to work... but the one problem I've found is that the "pulse" for the intermittent is too short for the S10 Blazer rear wipers. It has to pulse 3 times before it will cycle...

Anyone out there a circuitry wizard that knows how to increase the "pulse" duration about 3-4x in duration? I'd think it must be a resistor or something, but not truly sure...

Once I get this figured out... I'll put it out for everyone to assist...

Thanks!
Ted.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you...

My new build - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...70#post8958970
Thadious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 02:38 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: AD truck intermittent wipers....?

My truck has Specialty power window Co electric wipers with the delay switch. I couldn't find anything on just getting the switch though.
You may already have this link but it addresses the two speed and delay using a Ford truck switch. http://forums.vintage-mustang.com/mo...onversion.html And sometimes we have to think outside the brand.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2010, 03:16 AM   #3
Thadious

Re: AD truck intermittent wipers....?

Thanks for the link! I went through the writeup and even though I hadn't read this one yes, it's basically the same as another couple that I had.

The switch setup they are indicating is the same one that I am using as well, and yes... it is a Ford intermittent switch... outside the box! The problem with our trucks is that they use a secondary gearbox drive on the wiper motor which is why we have to use the S10 Blazer rear wiper, as they are a self reversing rotary action. Normal windshield wipers are full rotary, single direction.

I can get the switch to work the S10 Blazer motor... single speed only (it is after all, only a single speed wiper motor), but the "pulse" 12 volt signal for the intermittent is too short in duration and takes 3 "pulses" for the motor to start it's cycle. If I can increase the duration of the "pulse" 3-4x, then this would work just fine....

Cheers,
Ted

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you...

My new build - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...70#post8958970
Thadious is offline   Reply With Quote