The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-17-2010, 12:39 AM   #1
my1st69

Rear Taillight Harness?

Ok I have been busy sanding wlding grinding all mouldings off all holes welded reagy for grinding and finishing nady work, Yes I am happy. What I need to know is when removing the rear (HOMEMADE) bumper I unpluged the rear harness and am wondering wear I can get a new one(NOS PREF) because the prev owner REally did a number on it. Also there IS 2 wires one on each side coming from the front is the factory. I would guess They all would be in the loom but on the wires and there RUN there were like sm. metal body straps to hold them kinda looked factory kinda not.

what are everones opinions on after market tie downs?
how Do i remove the Gas tank
how many bolts to remove the bad? Would it be worth it to do so?
Would they break at this age (1969) would I or should I buy new bolts.
Would It be good to buy a new body bushing kit will it really make enough of a differnce any would it require removing the cab, I am a broke stay at home DAD= BROKE

I ask about removing the bed because when I go to paint I would like to paint the entire cab.

Also my gas gauge it wierdly off when full it is past full and when empty it is it is almost at empty

anyone have any clever ways to remove the back glass. without breaking or cutting moulding?

My headlights only work when the brights" button is stepped on it this normal a quick fix

and finally the removal of the core support how long would it take and what are your thouights on removal for painting purposes?

Thank you everyone for your support
Old 10-17-2010, 01:23 AM   #2
mr48chev

Re: Rear Taillight Harness?

I found a stop/tail light wiring harness on Brothers website http://www.brotherstrucks.com/prodin...number=WH22075 but it is not all that inexpensive. I went there because it was easy to get to what I wanted to but be sure and check different vendors sites for prices. If one of these trucks ever towed anything the stop and tail light wiring is often hacked up in that area. There should be a harness with three or more wires running down the inside of the drivers side frame rail to a plug in the back crossmember where the harness for the tail lights and side marker lights plugs in to it.
A lot of guys on here don't build or restore their trucks with plans to haul anything except a cooler and soft duffel bag so you will get mixed opinions there. My truck works for it's keep so I've been thinking about some but they will go inside the bed if I do.

I'd remove the seat first and then take the bolts holding the straps for the gas tank out and unhook the line coming through the floor to the tank. I'd do that first along with unhooking the wire for the gauge. Some guys take the clamp to the hose to the filler neck loose and pull it off the tank before removing the tank but I pulled mine with the fller neck on it. It was a fight though.

I'm not sure on the bolts to hold the bed on but think there are about eight. I'd pull it off to paint the cab and front of the box if it were mine.

Gas gauges are beyond my scope as I haven't had an operating one on either of my trucks for over 30 years. you may have a ground issue though and I'd check that first.

On the back glass rubber, if you look at the outside of it close you will see a line down the middle of the rubber that goes all the way around. That is the seam for the locking part of the rubber. If you take a skinny old worn out screwdriver with a well rounded off end and maybe an ice pick to get it started and start at the bottom corner you should be able to lift it up an release the tab. you have to work your way all the way around with the screwdriver or tool of choice and then gently push the window out and back. For my money I'd cut the rubber and buy a new one if the old one is hard as they quite often get torn up anyhow. Wes at www.classicheartbeat.com sells some nice window rubber that I like.

On the headlights it is most likely the dimmer switch I put one in my 71 this afternoon. Two screws hold it in. Get the NAPA Echlin DS115 and if the harness going to it is bad it's number is SC115 I had to put both on my truck today.

You can unplug the switch an with a jumper wire go from the center slot to each side and turn the lights on and see if both sides work. If both work it's a bad switch if only one works you may have other issues.

Removing the core support depends on how fast you work and how crusty the bolts are. I'd expect to spend most of a day unless you work pretty fast.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 08:55 AM   #3
KEL
72 GMC

I have not dealt with this guy.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...TQ:MOTORS:1123
KEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 09:45 AM   #4
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

To trouble shoot your fuel gauge:
http://www.6066gmcguy.org/Electrical-02.htm

For the taillight harness here is a diagram:
Attached Images

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote