The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-18-2010, 12:49 AM   #1
AJLChase

GMCPAULS Disc conversion

Looking at getting a 6 lug power disc conversion from GMCpauls as I can keep my ball joints and tie rods. Has anyone used this kit from them? My 67 doesn't come with a brake booster so I'll have to get that as well, how complicated is it to install the booster? I see it goes just right before the master cylinder. Anything else to keep in mind while ordering/installing?
AJLChase is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:19 PM   #2
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

Re: GMCPAULS Disc conversion

You'll need a Master cyl and proportioning valve for disc brakes also.The install is fairly straightforward but be sure your ball joints and tie rod ends are good or be ready to replace them and the ball joint boots when you do the swap.Might want to anyway since they may be 40+ years old.seeten posted a video on doing a spindle swap a while back.It's a good one to see if you've never done one before,there should be more info in the FAQ's to peruse before you start.research will be your friend since it will help you avoid pitfalls and guide you thru the swap.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 10-18-2010 at 05:19 PM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 05:53 PM   #3
68 Stepside
huh?

I used the GMCPaul kit on my 68. Used the 2" drop spindles as well. Easy to do, but be sure to replace the ball joints/tie rods anyway, as PD said. I didn't do my ball joints and now I get to take the whole thing back apart to do them As far as the brake booster, I did that too, really easy swap, just be sure you get the pedal rod off of the disc brake truck, the rods between power brakes and manual brakes are different lengths.

Best of luck to you.
Things we said today.

RIP El Jay
68 Stepside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2010, 06:10 PM   #4
AJLChase

Well, that's a big reason why I was thinking of going with GMCpauls set up...as I had recently changed out all of my ball joints and tie rods and steering components. I'm debating on if I want to make it just power brakes, or power disc breaks? I'm trying to keep all of my truck as 100% stock as possible. Plus, the less I do the more money I save towards other parts
Old 10-19-2010, 05:22 PM   #5
raycow

Similar kits are also available from CPP, ECE and Performance Online. All of these give you an aftermarket spindle which works with your stock ball joints and tie rod ends. You might want to compare prices before you lay down your money.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 09:02 PM   #6
ERASER5

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post
Similar kits are also available from CPP, ECE and Performance Online. All of these give you an aftermarket spindle which works with your stock ball joints and tie rod ends. You might want to compare prices before you lay down your money.

Ray
True, but only GMC Paul (of the ones listed) are site vendors.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 12:04 AM   #7
AJLChase

I'm starting to notice that with a lot of these kits if i were to go to a 6 lug front disc set up that uses stock balljoints and tie rods that they won't fit factory 6 lug rims. Is that correct? I really wanna keep my stock rims and hubcaps....or am I reading this wrong?
Old 10-20-2010, 12:37 AM   #8
raycow

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJLChase View Post
if i were to go to a 6 lug front disc set up that uses stock balljoints and tie rods that they won't fit factory 6 lug rims. Is that correct? I really wanna keep my stock rims and hubcaps....or am I reading this wrong?
They won't fit factory 6 lug 15" rims made before 1971. If you go with rims from a 71 or later 4WD truck or any 16" or larger rims you will be fine.

Ray
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 10:43 AM   #9
ERASER5

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJLChase View Post
I'm starting to notice that with a lot of these kits if i were to go to a 6 lug front disc set up that uses stock balljoints and tie rods that they won't fit factory 6 lug rims. Is that correct? I really wanna keep my stock rims and hubcaps....or am I reading this wrong?
Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post
They won't fit factory 6 lug 15" rims made before 1971. If you go with rims from a 71 or later 4WD truck or any 16" or larger rims you will be fine.

Ray
That is correct. the caliper hits the old rim. Cars have the same problem with older rims hitting the calipers, so it is a universal problem, not just 6 luggers. The older rims are shaped differently than the newer rims and do not clear the calipers.

If you want to keep the old school look, find some 1971+ 4X4 standard rims.
ERASER5 is offline   Reply With Quote