The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > General Truck Forums > Engine & Drivetrain

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-19-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
6erWebb

How do I know this is the right posi unit?

I got this with a 69 truck, the guy telling me it was for a 12 bolt. Not long ago though someone was telling me that they had two different 12 bolts for the cars and the trucks and that the diffs were different. So how do I figure out if this will work in my 77 with a 12 bolt?

thanks for any info you guys can provide.

-Webb
6erWebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 06:53 PM   #2
LONGHAIR
just can't cover up my redneck

Re: How do I know this is the right posi unit?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nbpro View Post
The truck series 12 bolts came under C and K series trucks, so they were 5 or 6 lug depending on the application
Accurate...and not relevant in this discussion, he is asking about the differential itself out of the housing.

6erWebb,
unfortunately I can't help you ID the one in the pic, but I can add to the confusion. Even if you do identify this carrier as one fitting a truck, you still need to determine it's gear "series". The flange where the ring gear mounts is at a different height depending upon what ratio "series" it was made for.
So you need to know what gear ratio you have (or desire to change to) before you will be able to determine whether or not this one will work.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Longhorn Man View Post
As for reading directions...
The directions are nothing but another man's opinion.
Learn from the mistakes of others, you won't live long enough to make them all yourself...

Bad planning on your part does not necessarily constitute an instant emergency on my part....

The great thing about being a pessimist is that you are either pleasantly surprised or right.

Last edited by LONGHAIR; 10-19-2010 at 06:55 PM.
LONGHAIR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 08:31 PM   #3
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

im thinking this may be better served in the drivetrain section where more rear end experts go

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 10:02 PM   #4
86k10

No that one is from an 8.75 car axle used in late 70's and early 80's big cars and wagons. It has a 10 bolt cover and 12 bolts on the ring gear. And the one you have pictured there i'm guessing has 28 splines.
86 GMC 5.0
77 Olds 98 6.6

REAL AMERICANS, DRIVE AMERICAN
86k10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2010, 11:43 PM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

If you can give me the measurement from the floor to the flange where the ring gear bolts as it sits in this pic. I'll compare that to a 4 series truck 12 bolt carrier I have at the shop.

Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote