The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2010, 04:22 PM   #1
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

using an 88 suburban engine in the 65?

pretty much smoked the 283 in the 65...

I have an 88 sub with a low mile goodwrench replacement 350 in it.
it is the sbc that has the center bolt valve covers.
it has tb fuel injection.

would it be a ton of work transfering it to the 65?

I would want to keep my stock ram horn manifolds alternator bracket?

**haven't looked yet , it probably has a serpintine belt.....
so would its alternator work on the 65 instead of the stock one?

or is it easy enough to change out the pulleys for a regular belt, I would not be using the ps pump or any of the smog stuff, so the serpintine belt would probably not fit.

I don't want to use the fuel injection, would I be able to bolt a q jet manifold, or an edelbrock performer manifold from an earlier sbc to it?

would my 283 flywheel bolt up to the 350 crank?

this is just 1 option I have it is the nicest sbc we have, if I could make it work without too much hassle I might go for it, if not I will try a different motor...

I need to get a pretty quick turnaround , since the 65 is my dd..
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
chevy_mike
Never Ending Projects

Re: using an 88 suburban engine in the 65?

'88 is right in the year range where GM was changing their manifold bolt pattern. Earlier pattern, the mounting bolts are angled thru the manifold. Then GM started to use verticial bolts in the middle part of the manifold. Then they went to the Vortec style and lost the middle bolts completely. Standard carb manifolds are available for a carb setup, just make sure you get one that matches the style of the heads you have.

The '88 will be a long water pump setup and if a serpentine belt setup, likely a reverse flow water pump. If you swap all the parts and water pump from your '65, it will work fine.

Biggest issue you might fine, when GM started into the EFI world, they stopped using mechanical fuel pumps and even though the boss in still in the block, they are not machined with the fuel pump rod hole nor does the cam shaft have the lobe to run the pump. That can be fixed with a cam swap but the hole in the block, that can be machined into it but you'll need to have the block completely torn down and sent to a machine shop. Double check this before you do anything else as this might be your stopping point for using this engine, unless you are using an electric fuel pump, then it doesn't matter.

Also, find out if it's a one piece rear main seal. It was about that time frame for the change. If a one piece seal, your flywheel will not work. If two piece, it will work fine.

Hope that helps.
1965 Chevy C10, Long, Fleetside, Hot Rod C10 http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=415702 SOLD

We were given two ears and one mouth for a reason... listen twice as much and speak half as often...

Last edited by chevy_mike; 10-20-2010 at 04:38 PM.
chevy_mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 04:37 PM   #3
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

that does help, I will eyeball it and check for that fuelpump first.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 07:56 PM   #4
Chevy Fleetside

This is an 87 year model engine in my 66. I got an intake manifold from Summit for the new angled bolt holes in the center. It was cheap and their brand. The engine bolts right up and I don't think the exaust should be a problem. You can't use the alt from the serpentine as it has not adjustment. The engine in the truck dose have center bolt valve cover and it also still has a hole for a fuel pump. It just had a cover over it but I don;t know if the cam as a lobe for the fuel pump rod.
Attached Images

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536

Last edited by Chevy Fleetside; 10-20-2010 at 07:57 PM.
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 01:19 AM   #5
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

An '88 350 is a one piece rear main, so your 283 flywheel won't work. That block should be machined for a fuel pump, that was more of an issue in the early to mid 90's particularily with the Vortec engines. However I'm not sure if the TBI cams had a fuel pump lobe. Easy enough to find out.....slide a FP pushrod in there and turn the engine over. Just keep in mind it's still a small block Chevy. All of your pulleys and brackets will swap over as well as your short water pump. You will need to either get an aftermarket aluminum intake for the '87 and up heads, or modify an early cast iron Q-jet intake for the different angle of the 2 center bolts on each side.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 08:23 AM   #6
ChiefRocka
Hollister, CA.

Why not keep the TBI on there ?? Those harness' are pretty straight forward.

What the Heck is that ??

CURRENT BUILDS:
62 BurbMaster

Other Builds:
My '63 C-10,LWB,CC,BBW
'06 HD StrAight Axle Swap

Father/Son '67 C-20, LQ9,4L80,Bagged,8-Lugger !!Good Friend Richard's Build

AMERICAN CUSTOMS & CLASSICS (831) 630-1965
www.ACCHOLLISTER.com
ACC on FACEBOOK
"Rest in Peace, Mom & Dad ... I will see you again someday!"
ChiefRocka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 12:57 PM   #7
onequickchevy

I agree with Rocka. I have a buddy here that just did a similar swap to an early seventies 4 x 4. He kept the throttle body on there, and it cranked first try. He bought the whole donor truck for 500 bucks. By the time he sells off the rest of the parts the motor will be free. If mine wasn't so out there on cam and compression I would consider the swap. I'll just stick with my little 850 DP for now.
Old 10-21-2010, 05:21 PM   #8
Chevy Fleetside

I was thinking of putting the TBI on later when I have the truck at my house. I do have a TBI Edelbrock manifold sitting in a box also.

65 Short Fleetside BBC
65 Long Fleetside 283 3 on the tree for now.
my build thread http://www.67-72chevytrucks.com/vboa...d.php?t=259536
Chevy Fleetside is offline   Reply With Quote