The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-20-2010, 09:28 PM   #1
southern gator

need trans info, which one to run???

ok, i got a 76 k30, 4x4 with 44's. 4.56 gears. Im running a th400 with a divorce np205. I need more gears or overdrive. Them gear vendors are way to pricee. Are there any manul 5 speed or 6 speed transmissions i can run with my sbc 400 motor??? or any other autos out there that are strong, i heard about running a 700r4 but i dont know if it will handle the towing/tires
any info thanks
southern gator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:35 PM   #2
GMC87

Re: need trans info, which one to run???

Dont know if you have a long or short bed but one option that I have been looking into is a auxiliary tranny, like a spicer brown lipe (often called a brownie) or a fuller. they work similar to you current divorced t-case and give you over drive.
Sounds like height/clearance would not be an issue but you would have to look into if you have enough length.
GMC87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2010, 09:53 PM   #3
southern gator

i got alot of room between my transmission tail shaft and my divoce case now, im a short bed. is this overdrive unit like the gear vendor it bolts up to the th400??
Old 10-22-2010, 01:45 PM   #4
GMC87

Quote:
Originally Posted by southern gator View Post
i got alot of room between my transmission tail shaft and my divoce case now, im a short bed. is this overdrive unit like the gear vendor it bolts up to the th400??
No its a completely separate divorced unit with a drive shaft in front and back.

If you google auxiliary transmission in images you will get the idea.
GMC87 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 12:45 PM   #5
southern gator

not sure i have that much room for another case
Old 10-25-2010, 01:04 PM   #6
Rpratt

You can replace the TH400 with an NV4500 5 speed manual transmission. I went from going 65 and pushing it, to going 85 and having more speed available.
Rpratt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 04:04 PM   #7
southern gator

well the nv4500 out of a gm bolt up??? same flywheel as the sm465???
Old 10-26-2010, 01:14 AM   #8
bucannon
Salty Sailor

use a 700R4 they are by far the best and if you get a built one it will handle the big tires and all the power you can throw at it

Savannah, Georgia
bucannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 02:43 PM   #9
southern gator

does the 700r4 have any wiring or need a computor for it????
Old 10-26-2010, 07:44 PM   #10
bucannon
Salty Sailor

nope, but if you want most newer trucks have an electronic version of it.

Savannah, Georgia
Old 10-26-2010, 09:34 PM   #11
Grease Monkey Kuztum

No offense but I would take a built 5spd or 6spd Allison 1000 over a built 700r4 anyday of the week!!!! Bolts right up, only problem is you need a standalone tune for transmission control, but you have either one or two extra final drive gears as well as complete control over every function possible in tranny.... This is just my opinion, not tryin to step on toes or anything.... I will have a similar setup with 6spd allison to a twin turbo 454 pretty soon built for daily drivin and towin race car reliably

On a side note is their a direct bolt on application for the Browning or Ranger transmissions? Or would you just adapt a setup from a medium duty truck??

The allison 1000 is a direct bolt on setup with 5 or 6 forward gears and still able to manually row the gears for towing control while also helping acting like a trans brake down steep grades...

That coupled with a twin turbo setup and I can really wake this monster up when wanted and keep the revs super super low with short tires and a tall diff gear to get out of the hole like a damn rocketship, and then settle down and purr down the highway doing 80-85 and barely be above idle pretty much lol. This is my "basic" plan of attack.

If I could directly bolt up a ranger 13spd to my 454 bye golly that would be one fun and one tough as hell truck tho and might reconsider but if not direct bolt on and around same price range as I know these trannys aint cheap by any means, then its just out of the question!

Have you thought about an allison auto at all?
Grease Monkey Kuztum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 09:45 PM   #12
southern gator

i dont want no computer or wireing in for a transmission in my 76 chevy, thats me. i come across nv4500s before but never liked the idea of the slave cly. being on the passnager side when your clutch pedal is the driver side. Never ran a 700r4 before but i heard if built right they are good transmissions too, im ditching the th400 i have now for sure i need another gear and gearvendors is what to much$$$$$$$$$$
Old 10-27-2010, 01:32 AM   #13
Grease Monkey Kuztum

I can agree when not wanting wiring... Ive never ran a 700r4 personally in any of my vehicles, my pops had one in a 96 vortec 5.7 that was bone stock truck and ran really well but was computer controlled.

My best friend in high school however, was huge into the early 90s stepside 2wd and 454ss trucks and his 700r4 behind a fairly stock less than 300whp 5.7 broke multiple times and not just the same part, it was a different part breaking every time... He went thru more 700r4 trannies than any person Ive ever met in my life no lie!!! I know we tried different performance bands/clutches all the works!!! His pops built race cars for a living so he helped us both learn an immense amount about chevy auto trannies and rebuilding them.... And he took BEAUTIFUL care of his vehicles so it wasnt neglect or bad driving or anything like that... It was weird, Ive never wanted to touch one since his horror stories and remembering us working on it almost every other damn weekend for about 6 years till I moved to a different state and he finally sold the truck for a newer one with an allison after all lol and me and him with ideas from his dad thrown in also are running all different ideas back n forth of what to do with my new to me Dream Truck lol....

Thats the only experience I have with these trannies thats why I would prefer a different route... But I dont know off top of my head what else is a NON computer design... 4l60e & 4l80e are both computer ran I believe... What other options are out there? I know there is more, my brains just in a million different places at once lol ???

Ive heard others never have a single problem with 700r4s also, thats just my one experience with this trans im sure their are tons more good stories than my single horror one lol I definetly need to brush up my chevy history again wow where its all gone I have no clue lol playin with rice rocket Hondas last couple years....

Sorry to not be of more help to ya man, I would really like to know what options you have available if others more knowledgable at the moment will chime in too....
Old 10-27-2010, 07:20 AM   #14
BigBlocksRule

Check out a 2004R. They're stronger than the 700R4 and you lose that massive 1-2 shift drop. They've survived behind some big-inch big blocks and plenty of turbo'd engines, they're the best alternative if you don't want to run a computer.
Regardless, after you have one built to take big power, you'll have spent more than a 4L80E and stand-alone computer.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:12 AM   #15
v502

You can get 4l80 manual valve body without the electronics's they are pretty strong. Hell fully built one will 1800hp and built one with billet shaft will hold 1200hp.

I getting one for my truck fully built for $4500 but the piece of mind that comes with it is priceless

I think refreshed one will hold somewhere around 600hp just pick good shop that will build it.
v502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2010, 08:21 AM   #16
BigBlocksRule

^ most shops rate a stock rebuild at around 750hp.
The first generation of controllers are going for a bit less than the newer stuff, I've seen 'em complete with wiring harness off of ebay for around $500.
BigBlocksRule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 07:46 AM   #17
Grease Monkey Kuztum

I completely forgot about being able to run a 2speed splitter combo with a couple different trannys and styles of splitters... But the combo I found to like best and seem to be a very reliable setup and company with good service and customer service too.. while having great prices, they seem like it would handle quite a bit of punishment too...

If you run a chevy nv4500 they have setups to run the splitter either at the bellhousing in front of the transmission or they have a setup to trade the tailhousing with the splitter and then the transfer case or just driveline bolts to the rear of transmission replacing tailhousing and extending it.. Its only 7-1/2" or 7-1/4" cant remember but ill find the link and post it....

They make a 27% overdrive unit as well as a 17% underive unit too and they sell all the adapters to the atlas transfer cases n such...

I really am starting to like this tho, you would have a split 5 speed so 10 gears and doin the math should bring your setup below 2k rpms at 75 with the 4.56 gears and still have a pretty good first gear for crawling around when needed, and 4 good gears for cruisin that you can split all of them even reverse If you really wanted lol...

NV4500s are pretty much bulletproof from what I hear, I mean anything breaks if you treat it wrong but ive heard they are pretty tough... I might change my mind on the allison gotta run it by my mad scientist crew lol...

Are you wanting to Stay auto or would you go with a clutch setup???
Old 10-28-2010, 07:47 AM   #18
Grease Monkey Kuztum

http://advanceadapters.com/product/3531/27-0032.html
Old 10-28-2010, 07:51 AM   #19
Grease Monkey Kuztum

I getting one for my truck fully built for $4500 but the piece of mind that comes with it is priceless

this is so true lol..... Im selling a 7.3 powerstroke, its one pretty badass truck to say the least. Yet im only 22 and the cost that I put into that truck in the last two years compared to my normal insane builds like import cars and rat rods and regular gas trucks n stuff I swear I could of paid off almost 1/4 of a house and still have like 2 other projects halfway badass for what that truck has into it.....

will I even see like a 1/10th of what I put into it without strippin it back to nothing.... NOPE... damn shame in loving automobiles lol some call me stupid, yet the look on their face when I prove them wrong and do something they say cant be done is worth every penny...

You only live once!

Also my apologies not trying to steal your thead man, just throwin out ideas and maybe changing my mind now too lol...

Last edited by Grease Monkey Kuztum; 10-28-2010 at 07:53 AM.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:21 PM   #20
southern gator

thanks for the info guys, still anit sure which way to go i dont want to drop $4000 into a transmisson to tell the truth. Im thinking of th700r4 throw a rebuild kit in it and ahift kit be done. Unless i come across a good nv4500.
Old 10-28-2010, 03:34 PM   #21
v502

Quote:
thanks for the info guys, still anit sure which way to go i dont want to drop $4000 into a transmisson to tell the truth. Im thinking of th700r4 throw a rebuild kit in it and ahift kit be done. Unless i come across a good nv4500.
You don't need to pay 4000 except if pushing crazy horsepower

If you running somewhere under 700hp good core 4l80 and shift kit is more than enough.
v502 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 11:02 PM   #22
clinebarger

Quote:
thanks for the info guys, still anit sure which way to go i dont want to drop $4000 into a transmisson to tell the truth. Im thinking of th700r4 throw a rebuild kit in it and shift kit be done. Unless i come across a good nv4500.
A 700R4 is going to need alot of work done to it before it will handle a heavy truck with 44s on it. The lock-up converter has to be operational, The TV cable will need to adjusted properly & have the correct geometry, A quality converter is a must. The planetery gear set, sunshell, front pump, input shaft/drum, forward sprag, 3-4 clutches, 2-4 band & separater plate etc....Will need to be upgraded.
A 700R4 with just a rebuild & shift kit in it will not last in your truck. Depending on how you drive...the fully upgraded one might not last.

A built 2004R whould be a little stronger....But all 2004Rs use a 27 spline input shaft (the same diameter/spline count as 82-84 700R4s that are supposedly such a weak link) 85 & up 700R4s have a larger diameter 30 spline input shaft.
clinebarger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 07:51 PM   #23
southern gator

well i mite just see if i come across a gear vendor used for a good price then and throw that into my th400,
Old 10-30-2010, 02:54 AM   #24
bucannon
Salty Sailor

i was able to run a used 700R4 on my truck with 33" tires and have no problems with it.

Just be sure the TV(throtle valve) cable is hooked up properly.

Savannah, Georgia
Old 10-30-2010, 11:00 AM   #25
68 TT
Still plays with trucks

Why do you need overdrive? You are only at 2600 rpm at 75 mph with those gears and 44" tires. That is the equivalent of a normal truck running 32" tires with 3.42 gears. Pretty much a dog off the line. No overdrive trans is going to make much of a difference in that.

What you need is a set of 5.13 gears or better to make up for those tires. I had an 84 with 40's on it running a 400 small block. It had 3.73 gears when I first got it on the road and I put 5.13's into it shortly after. The gear change made a huge difference. It could barely get out of its own way with the 3.73's and your 44's with only 4.56's are pretty close to the same. Just not enough gear for what you have.
68 Camaro SS / RS 500hp 439 inch roller cam big block 4L80E
79 Malibu TPI 350 4L60 w/ Z28 steering & sway bars
68 TT is offline   Reply With Quote