The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-21-2010, 11:12 PM   #1
DG Racing

MustangII suspension

OK im looking to instal a mustang II suspension on my 1957 3/4 ton (3600) but the low budget style

beside fatman is their other ones ?

thanks
DG Racing is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:40 PM   #2
Indian113

Re: MustangII suspension

I would go with a Camaro or Gm clip over a CHEAP Mustangll
Indian113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2010, 11:43 PM   #3
Atomsplitter

Or search for the Crown Victoria bolt in IFS.
Atomsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 10:54 AM   #4
Scottshotrods

Look at the Scotts ifs we offer, we have great prices for memebers here.It will
save you time on install and it comes with lifetime gaurantte.Our product is alot different
than typical mustang 2.
Justin
www.scottshotrods.com
Scottshotrods is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 02:40 PM   #5
troy54gmc

i went with the 1975 nova front clip on my 54. i have a bunch of install pictures if you want. i picked up the whole clip for $80 from craigslist.

Last edited by troy54gmc; 10-22-2010 at 04:04 PM.
troy54gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #6
DG Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
I would go with a Camaro or Gm clip over a CHEAP Mustangll
Why you say CHEAP mustang ?
Old 10-22-2010, 08:18 PM   #7
xpickup

DG Racing, Try a google search for Welder Series. My buddy bought some things form them and the were inexpensive and nice looking.

Last edited by xpickup; 10-22-2010 at 08:19 PM.
xpickup is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2010, 09:20 PM   #8
Indian113

When I say CHEAP I mean The ones that are made out of thin metal,they crack around the cross member where its welded to the frame and cause Failure. It's your Life and your money a welded GM clip is a lot safer and will take the weight of a TF truck better. If you have to buy a IFS I would look real hard at SCOTTS they are the best for a AD or TF truck. He has spent a lot time and effort to come up with a really great design and safe way to put a IFS together. Sorry If I ranted but safety should come before cost
Old 10-22-2010, 09:59 PM   #9
Indian113

DG I hope I didn't offend you, I live on a budget just like everybody else on this board so I feel your pain about low cost parts. I have made adjustments and waited to buy the quality parts instead of buying them twice. I guess what I'm trying to say I 'm sorry about the Rant on safety if it seemed out of place or I was out of line.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:02 PM   #10
DG Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by xpickup View Post
DG Racing, Try a google search for Welder Series. My buddy bought some things form them and the were inexpensive and nice looking.
wow that is a really good price for a crossmenber

http://www.welderseries.com/catalog/...products_id=92
Old 10-22-2010, 10:14 PM   #11
DG Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Indian113 View Post
DG I hope I didn't offend you, I live on a budget just like everybody else on this board so I feel your pain about low cost parts. I have made adjustments and waited to buy the quality parts instead of buying them twice. I guess what I'm trying to say I 'm sorry about the Rant on safety if it seemed out of place or I was out of line.
No problem i understand you
but i whant to pay a good price but not 5 000 for a clip this will be a truck for fun and i know there is a way to do a nice driver for a good price .

but i have to do rechearch to find the best prices i dont have only that truck in projet .

And maybe i will install a camaro clip but before i whant info about Mustang because the intallation is fast and it look good .and for the parts its cheap (RACK,TIE ROD )

And the frame is intact with a Mustang (rad suport mount etc .)

Last edited by DG Racing; 10-22-2010 at 10:27 PM.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:36 PM   #12
Indian113

At least the welder set up is wider and fits your truck better than the street rod ones will. If your interested google camaro clip at the top of the page there are some good pictures of them in some posts. I have some of a buddy of mine that did his 57 and they are neat and clean looking.I can post them for you but there is a post already with them.
Old 10-22-2010, 10:50 PM   #13
DG Racing

yes i have look a lot of info about a camaro clip on google and it look good also but i whant more info about a mustang kit price ,installation , etc..

and after all my research i will decide what i will do for my front end
Old 10-22-2010, 11:45 PM   #14
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

Okay I will put my 2 Cents in now.

GM clips are nice and I personally like the g-body(78-88 Monte Carlos, Cutless etc) the best for the track width but Camaro's and Firebird work great also. They ride really nice and handle well.

Scotts does have a nice setup but to use the term the "best" is open to debate. There are a lot of nice IFS units out there Jim Meyer, Heidts Superride etc. I think they are all nice and you can't go wrong with either them. So I don't know how you can say best unless you have experience with all of them and then its still your experience. I have installed the Jim Meyer, Heidts Supperides, Flat Out and have seen Scotts on a friends ride and they are all really nice and yes I do think they are a better design then
the Standard Mustang 2 aftermarket IFS and they should be for the price. Would I buy one? hell yes.lol They are that nice.

I've also done Volare installs and they ride nice but there are a few set backs like that big bulky steering box you have to off set you engine. But most ford guys do them anyway. I've done them on both Fords and Chevys.

Now as for the Mustang 2, I have installed Heidts and TCI and have never had a problems (I can only speak for those because thats all I've used). I have a TCI on my current project and its good choice for me. Why? the cost did not kill me and I'm done with donor clips on my cars. Not that anything is wrong with them they are time proven it's just a personal choice.

What ever you choose to do just make sure the installation is safe I've seen terrible GM Clips installations. I have to help a buddy fix one on a AD truck he bought. I was driving behind him and the truck was not tracking straight. Who ever done the clip put it in crooked. The aftermarket clips are easier to install so you don't see as many botch jobs as you see GM and Volares and the like. I've also seen some first time clip people do beautiful jobs, better than a lot of shops. This is 56chevy1300 first time doing a clip and I think its really done well.

So there is my 2 cents or maybe more like 10.lol

Last edited by Kabwe; 10-22-2010 at 11:54 PM.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 01:06 AM   #15
46deluxe

I just bought one of these and I'm very impressesd, its thicker than the one I installed on my 46 Ford. It is a 56" wide one but he probably makes 58" and 60".
S10/ G body -56" wide
Camaro/ Nova - 60" wide
NOT APPROXIMATE

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/MUSTA...Q5fAccessories

Last edited by 46deluxe; 10-23-2010 at 01:09 AM. Reason: info
46deluxe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 02:00 AM   #16
Scottshotrods

I am not to sure where you came up with a number of $5,000 for a frontend.You
can get two of ours for $5,000.lol
Being serious now our ifs retails for $2395.00 add $100.00 for power rack and the total will be $2495.00 retail.We do have forum discounts and you will save between 10-15%
off our frontends.If you want to compare ours with any other frontends out there please do.Make sure you look at how they are made and what you get for dollor to dollor and you will see we have the best quality for the money out there.Most of all ours is not a
mustang 2 at all.Our sevice is great as well
Justin
www.scottshotrods.com
Old 10-23-2010, 09:13 AM   #17
Hottrucks
Redefining LowBudget

Justin I only wish I still had the pics from the front end you built for my 1 off 35 ford dually (I lost them in a computer crash) it was set up with 1 ton spindles for bud style wheels this thing looks,works and fit like a dream with the correct wheel spacing sot he tire tucked perfect....the truck now has a cummings diesal in it with a old school cable wrecker boom on it and yes the guy hauls alot of stuff with it....when not being USED the guy drives it everywhere and has had ZERO problems with it!!!!!!!

Guys I'm not kissing up to Justin ( have you seen his ugly mug) but I have used his stuff and don't tell him but tried the Fatman stuff and local guys have even used other less expencive front end kits or clips and there is NO compairison...Scotts stuff fits and is as close to bolt/weld in as they come and there customer service is nothing short of them putting it in for you...my next project will probably be a 48 Buick and guess what front end it will have...
Hottrucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 12:20 PM   #18
DG Racing

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottshotrods View Post
I am not to sure where you came up with a number of $5,000 for a frontend.You
can get two of ours for $5,000.lol
Being serious now our ifs retails for $2395.00 add $100.00 for power rack and the total will be $2495.00 retail.We do have forum discounts and you will save between 10-15%
off our frontends.If you want to compare ours with any other frontends out there please do.Make sure you look at how they are made and what you get for dollor to dollor and you will see we have the best quality for the money out there.Most of all ours is not a
mustang 2 at all.Our sevice is great as well
Justin
www.scottshotrods.com
$5 000 was just a price like that .

but yes i look at your front end and YES this is a VERY VERY nice kit but its only not in my budget . my truck will be a very low budget truck i have other car to do this winter .
Attached Images

Old 10-23-2010, 01:07 PM   #19
DG Racing

i received this link from a menber and its look ok also
if its a real direct fit crossmenber ?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...K%3AMEWAX%3AIT
Old 10-23-2010, 11:39 PM   #20
mr48chev

That's an interesting unit. I have been intending to go with one from Welders Series . I've bought a lot of small pieces from them and they have all been first rate.

The problem with the MII crossmembers cracking has usually been because who ever installed the unit didn't reinforce it right if they ran lower A arms rather than the control arm and strut setup. The Ford pieces in them if you run oem MII pieces are plenty well up to the task. The upper ball joint is as strong as any upper ball joint you will find on any car. Don't believe me. Go to the O'Reilly site, look up 75 Mustang II upper ball joint and then click "compatibility" and then come back and tell me it isn't strong enough for a truck or hotrod.

Scott, we all know you build some beautiful pieces that most of us would love to have but they are probably out of reach for the budgets for 70% of the guys on here.

Subframes work well on the model of truck in question and the link of the HAMB that is often referred to is a great help in that respect. But it isn't without issues, the biggest one being fitting the sheet metal and getting it right. The other is having someone who can fit it up and weld it up right.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:22 AM   #21
Woodbutcher

I am assembling my frame righ now with a TCI setup because that is what came uninstalled with the truck. I have purchased items from Horton's Welder Series and have to agree with MrChev48 - they are first rate laser cut top quality. DW is a first rate guy, too. If you are any good with a MIG then the Welder Series will save you the dough you can use on other aspects of your project. Good luck.

Keep your stick on the ice, Woodbutcher

Last edited by Woodbutcher; 10-24-2010 at 02:24 AM.
Woodbutcher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:36 AM   #22
NLR

Hi ! I have just bought a -49 chevy 3100 pu . And it seems like your "frontend" are the way to go ! I looked at your "site" and couldnt find it for the 47-54 chevys (44 year old plumber haha ).I want it as complete as possible ,steering,brakes, bags !? Is it possible ? / Reegards "Nicko"
NLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:30 PM   #23
Scottshotrods

Quote:
Originally Posted by NLR View Post
Hi ! I have just bought a -49 chevy 3100 pu . And it seems like your "frontend" are the way to go ! I looked at your "site" and couldnt find it for the 47-54 chevys (44 year old plumber haha ).I want it as complete as possible ,steering,brakes, bags !? Is it possible ? / Reegards "Nicko"
Shoot me a p/m or a e-mail and I wil get you a complete price over to you
Justin
justin@scottshotrods.com
www.scottshotrods.com
Old 10-24-2010, 03:52 PM   #24
vjjack04

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottshotrods View Post
Shoot me a p/m or a e-mail and I wil get you a complete price over to you
Justin
justin@scottshotrodssycom
www.scottshotrods.com
Nicko,
Justin will do you right. Unless you're doing the really high end optional stuff, you can get the Scotts for less than $2500....Now for powder coated, polished, and chrome - or airbags it will be more. But the system they sent me is really nice and complete. The installers also remarked about how well engineered it was. The picture DG posted is what I have. Every conversation I had with Justin shows me he knows his business....Although he should have sent me a Scotts T-shirt free.....

Last edited by vjjack04; 10-24-2010 at 04:15 PM.
vjjack04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:38 PM   #25
CHIZZLER
SAVING ONE TRUCK AT A TIME

No other kit compares to scotts.fully adjustable upper and lower a arms.QUALITY AND CUSTOMER SERVICE IS AWESOME.
Attached Images

61-crew cab D-max

"PAY LESS FOR WHAT YOU NEED PAY MORE FOR WHAT YOU WANT"

53 BURBAN BARN FIND:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=404091

1940 PROJECT MOON SHINE:http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=551088

1961 CREW MAX: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s....php?p=6957999
CHIZZLER is offline   Reply With Quote