The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2010, 03:00 PM   #1
GOPAPA

Wiring in Engine Bay Questions ..

My fire wall electrical block is missing a wire ,,and I think it is the Oil Preasure Guage wire..blue one

If it is,, I will crimp a clip to a 20 ga wire and plug it in to this spot..Any body know if where I have shown it in the drawing , is correct?

Also ,,I find that the white wire is no longer needed ,,just take wire out of the plug and toss it ? Is this wire of any use for anything else..?

One more question is :: where are you running the wire to the distributor at through the fire wall at.. ?

First and second is a picture (not mine ,borrowed)showing the electrical block I am talking about .

Old 10-23-2010, 04:27 PM   #2
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Re: Wiring in Engine Bay Questions ..

This should help.
http://www.boomspeed.com/bofh1968/ch...ng_diagram.pdf
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 11:51 PM   #3
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport/Truck View Post
It does help and thanks.. gp
Old 10-24-2010, 12:08 AM   #4
mr48chev

Depending on what equipment the truck came with it may not have a wire in every slot/hole.

The oil pressure gauge is mechanical in these trucks and has a tube going to the back of the engine if it is a V8.

That's a nice diagram Sport/Truck many of us will be saving a copy of that in our documents files or bookmarking the link, thanks.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:24 AM   #5
gkesseru

See my thread in the electrical section about adding extra wires into the bulkhead connector.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=425114
00 F150
68 Step (named El Scorcho by PO)
Build thread for the new El Scorcho http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=392932
gkesseru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 07:21 AM   #6
stich626
Account Suspended

nice, I'll have to print that out and laminate it..
may even have it made into a decal and stick it under the hood.. so with hood open you can read it..
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 09:54 AM   #7
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Thumbs up Re: Wiring in Engine Bay Questions ..

You might want the rest of set too. (The link above is reposted here)
http://www.boomspeed.com/bofh1968/ch...g_diagram2.pdf
s/t
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Old 10-24-2010, 10:16 AM   #8
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkesseru View Post
See my thread in the electrical section about adding extra wires into the bulkhead connector.
I seen your thread and it was and is very helpful ,,in fact yesterday I went to Napa auto parts and they said that they have not one of these 72145 parts in any of thier warehouses or stores anywhere in my area ..They also said if they did they would have to sell me a 50 count box at .85 each ,,

So I went to National and they cant even find them in thier books and O'rileys/Shucks do not have them either.. I guess I will try the wrecking yard and get the whole block and maybe clean up some old ones..

It's hard to find someone who really knows what these clips look like and how to work with them and your pictures are the best . I also could not fine purple 12 ga wire anywhere ,,except for Home depot and I would have to buy a spool for $60 to get it.. I am not giving up ,,just running out of places to go find these hard to find things.. thank you for all your help ,,appreciate it ..GP

Last edited by GOPAPA; 10-24-2010 at 11:00 AM.
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 10:32 AM   #9
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Cheers S/T.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 12:39 PM   #10
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
I seen your thread and it was and is very helpful ,,in fact yesterday I went to Napa auto parts and they said that they have not one of these 72145 parts in any of thier warehouses or stores anywhere in my area ..They also said if they did they would have to sell me a 50 count box at .85 each ,,

So I went to National and they cant even find them in thier books and O'rileys/Shucks do not have them either.. I guess I will try the wrecking yard and get the whole block and maybe clean up some old ones..

It's hard to find someone who really knows what these clips look like and how to work with them and your pictures are the best . I also could not fine purple 12 ga wire anywhere ,,except for Home depot and I would have to buy a spool for $60 to get it.. I am not giving up ,,just running out of places to go find these hard to find things.. thank you for all your help ,,appreciate it ..GP

You should consider a new harness from M&H, they use the original drawings and colors & connectors.
Plus you can have them update your harness to include electric choke, internal regulated alt. Headlight relays. etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by eightbanger View Post
Cheers S/T.
Your welcome,
Thank you.
Old 10-24-2010, 12:51 PM   #11
KEL
72 GMC

Quote:

My local (next door to where I work) NAPA store ordered the box from the warehouse and sold me the pieces individually. If you want me to pick some up for you, I can walk over and see if they still have any.
KEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 02:48 PM   #12
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by gkesseru View Post
You have great pictures of the Weatherpack Terminals Or Packard 56 Terminals ,,which ever one wants to call them.. but ,,I have one question to ask you .. You quoted the numbers for the terminals as male-72145 and female-72147,, just wondering which numbers are correct now after reading from two other forum members postings that have quoted them as male-725145 and female 725147...maybe that both numbers are usable to order them from at napa ,,can you check this out and let me know ..thanks gp
Old 10-24-2010, 02:59 PM   #13
KEL
72 GMC

http://www.napaonline.com/Search/Res...mber&Nty=1&N=0
KEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 03:28 PM   #14
GOPAPA

thx Kel

I used the 6 digit numbers and it found both male and female terminals ,,It does say that I cannot order them online and would have to get them from my local store.. I kinda want them tomorrow if I can get them ..

As I said ,,the local Napa store person said none to be found in the area .. so I will go to a wrecking yard tomorrow and maybe buy the both both parts and then take it apart and find me a terminal and just rehook it to my wire and then solder it .. If I run out of options then I would be glad to check back with you on you getting me some ..thx for all your help.. gp
Old 10-24-2010, 03:44 PM   #15
truckdude239

man my napa i deal with has like 40 of the mail in stock but have to order the females

1971 Chevy c-10 under going a 4.8l LSx swap

Build Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=421305

2007 Honda Accord my daily 145kmiles
2002 Honda Accord 4 door With 330k(sisters car)
2005 toyota Avalon 228k( brothers car)
2002 Sububran 5.3 245k
2000 Tahoe 5.3l 378

General manager for Marco's Carwash & lube
truckdude239 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 04:09 PM   #16
GOPAPA

What kind of grease is used to protect the connectors in the firewall bulk head from the elements ..I read in one of the postings that do not clean this grease off when taking apart .. Mine has been wiped clean of any protective "anything" it ever had..
Old 10-24-2010, 05:29 PM   #17
don t. - 72gmc

Quote:
What kind of grease..
I always use a lite coat of dielectric grease on most all elect connections/auto light bulbs.
Bulk head...never been there, but I would think it would be ok.

HTH....don t. ....
don t. - 72gmc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:37 PM   #18
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by don t. - 72gmc View Post
I always use a lite coat of dielectric grease on most all elect connections/auto light bulbs.
Bulk head...never been there, but I would think it would be ok.

HTH....don t. ....
You got it ,thx ,,I just got through reading where the guys in the moparts forum said they use dialectic grease on all thier firewall bulk head electical connectors . Some of the old guys over there still call them Pakard 56 terminals.. I guess because they were first used by Packard ?? i'm learning ..lol gp

Sorta Hyjacking my own post ,,

Is there any reason or reasons why not to have a Kill Switch on the ignition wire going to the Silinoid? What options are they to install a Kill Switch ..?

Last edited by GOPAPA; 10-24-2010 at 05:42 PM. Reason: I can hyjack my own post can't I ..LOL
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote