The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2010, 05:14 PM   #1
19Hoosierdaddies68

Upper Door hinge replacement

Hello all,

I just bought another 68 and want to swap the doors from my first 68 to the one I just bought. I have pulled the drivers doors from both and decided to swap the upper hinge as well as the new 68 has a broken and missing stop. When I am pulling the upper hinge there is a loose plate behind the cab wall that seems like it will fall into the cab if I pull the last bolt. I just want to know if it will or not, maybe it is held in place but stays loose for adjusment? I just dont want to loose the bracket/cage nuts into the door and not be able to mount the door again.... Does this make sense?

Thanks,

Jerry
19Hoosierdaddies68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 05:28 PM   #2
stich626
Account Suspended

Re: Upper Door hinge replacement

most move, and shouldn't drop , if it does. the kick panel should alow you to get it..
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:00 PM   #3
Classic Heartbeat
Project Junkie! Fishing Poor!!

They are loose to allow for adjustments in the door. It should stay in place unless the housing that captures the nut is rusted away or fee of the back side of the pillar. If it falls the only way to retrieve it would be to cut the lower part of the pillar off or the lower part of the kick panel. WES
Call us Toll Free (888) 338-2502
Like Us on Facebook
No appointment necessary.
72 BB Chevy Custom Deluxe / Custom Camper
67 I-6 (Soon to be 5.7 LS1) Panel
68 BB Chevy Short Bed
72 6.0 LQ9 Short Bed Chevy 4X4
Olympia's fastest growing truck parts supplier.
Olympia's home for Wayward Chevys
Classic Heartbeat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 09:15 PM   #4
19Hoosierdaddies68

Thats what I was afraid off, having it be rusty or something and fall into the cab. i can report I got lucky on both doors and they didnt fall in. what a PITA trying to align the door is, I have the door hung but it isnt right, at least it closes....

It does appear that my "good door" has a coupld striped hinge nuts though, I might have cross thread one of them. What can be done to repair this? weld in a new nut?

Thanks for the help so far,

Jerry
19Hoosierdaddies68 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 10:39 PM   #5
NevadaDVX

I just replaced the drivers upper hinge on the truck I'm working on. It was a piece of cake, although I had the front fender off so adjustment was easy. But the plate did not fall out.

There was also a stripped hole in the door. I just put a nut on the inside of the bolt which wasn't too hard to do because I have a speaker hole in the bottom of the door which made life a bunch easier. The plate inside the door are not really nuts, but just threaded holes. I tried tapping mine and there was not enough metal left which is why I put a nut on the inside. Whoever at GM decided to put fine thread bolts in door hinges was a moron.
NevadaDVX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2012, 11:36 PM   #6
oldrustytrucks

Looks like I have a stripped out cage nut on the upper hinge. This is the cage nut in the A post of the cab. What's the best fix? It looks like a pain in the @ss.... Ideas?
Posted via Mobile Device
oldrustytrucks is offline   Reply With Quote