The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-23-2010, 05:52 PM   #1
81c10

Suggestions??

Hey fellas.

So I just bought an 81 SWB C10 w/350. Good project, but needs some love. I figure im goin to start slow. I know i need the trans linkage adjusted. There are long tube headers on it now but somebody had to bash the bend coming right out of the 2nd cylinder on passenger side to get them through the engine cradle and i think its causing problems so i think they will need to be replaced with shorty headers? It has a quadrajet 4bbl carb (just rebuilt) pretty solid motor but it sputters here n there. When i hit the gas it almost sounds like a blow off valve and the truck almost stalls. I want to get an MSD ignition set up with shorty headers to 2 super 44's.(true duals already ran) I also figure iridium plugs with 9mm MSD wires would help too. I just put an 2.75" K&N on it and it seems to have helped.

Any suggestions on what this might be caused by or if somebody has some exhaust recommendations or any recommendations really. Can the quadrajet be re jetted? and is it worth it?

This is my 1st post on a forum ever so hope i did it right.

Thanks,
lml att

Attached Images

Last edited by 81c10; 10-23-2010 at 05:59 PM.
81c10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:04 PM   #2
1BadSS
NOT REALLY BANNED!

Re: Suggestions??

First off, Welcome to the forum! You can post pictures using the following code: [.img]linktoyourpicture[./img]. Be sure to remove the period's between the brackets to properly display your image.

I'd suggest regular delco plugs and autolite / etc wires for the truck. You're wasting money on plugs and wires unless the truck makes a ton of power.

The longtube headers should work just fine, although it sounds like you have a pair of headers that aren't made for trucks. Just a pair that someone badgered into place. If cost is a concern, go pickup a pair of Flowtech headers (made by holley), from your local parts store for under $150.

The sputtering may be a timing / ignition issue or simply the carb isn't totally adjusted correctly.

On the linkage, parts aren't too openly available to rebuild it. I'd much rather go with a kit from CPP. Just installed one on an 86 pickup this week and it worked great! Cheap too!

http://www.classicperform.com/Store/...ucks/CPTSL.htm
68 C20 LWB stripper truck
73 K5 Cheyenne
76 C20 Sierra Crew SRW
88 K20 Suburban

I'm not hammering on metal just to hammer, i'm creating a piece of art.
1BadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:23 PM   #3
81c10

Thanks man!

What kind of oil should i use? Does it except synthetic well? Its a fairly nice built motor just needs some clean power-producing good parts to bolt on. If i have to replace it im going to get better than stock. Nothing to crazy. I would like to get some ceramic coated headers and wrap them. mmmm
Old 10-23-2010, 06:27 PM   #4
1BadSS
NOT REALLY BANNED!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 81c10 View Post
Thanks man!

What kind of oil should i use? Does it except synthetic well? Its a fairly nice built motor just needs some clean power-producing good parts to bolt on. If i have to replace it im going to get better than stock. Nothing to crazy. I would like to get some ceramic coated headers and wrap them. mmmm

Flowtech offers Longtube headers with ceramic coating aswell. Oil is whatever you'd like. I usually run 10w-30, but that also depends on your climate. Speaking in terms of temperatures.

Synthetic, it depends on how many miles are on the motor and if it has always had synthetic. As synthetic is a thinner oil, a higher mileage motor that hasn't had synthetic oil in it, all it's life is prone to start leaking / consuming synthetic over standard dinosaur oil.
68 C20 LWB stripper truck
73 K5 Cheyenne
76 C20 Sierra Crew SRW
88 K20 Suburban

I'm not hammering on metal just to hammer, i'm creating a piece of art.
1BadSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2010, 06:53 PM   #5
81c10

Nice. I think ill stick with some gtx or quaker than to keep it American.
Old 10-23-2010, 09:20 PM   #6
geezer#99

When you hit the gas and it bogs on you then either you don't have a good shot of fuel from your accelerator pump or your secondary air valve is set up too loose. The secondary air valve is the big plate over your secondaries. They open by air flow and are controlled by a tension spring. Pull the lid off your cleaner and tap the secondary air valve with your finger. If it opens real easy that's the source of your bog.
That's an Olds or Buick quadrajet btw. Might be the big 800 cfm one too!!
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2010, 05:53 PM   #7
81c10

Quote:
Originally Posted by geezer#99 View Post
Pull the lid off your cleaner and tap the secondary air valve with your finger. If it opens real easy that's the source of your bog.

That was it! When i pull the lid off...not only was i missing a vacuum plug towards the distributor cap but that sencondary air valve is completely wide open. It's attached to some linkage but the linkage isnt attached to anything. Its all free floating. That must be how this thing blew through 3/4 of a tank in 100 miles huh?!
Old 10-24-2010, 06:52 PM   #8
geezer#99

Here's a link. If you look in New Links heading for rebuilding and adjusting carbs you'll see lots of pics to see how to fix it or how it's supposed to look.
http://www.florida4x4.com/tech/quadrajet/
geezer#99 is offline   Reply With Quote