The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-25-2010, 10:30 PM   #1
rogergodding

Air in the fuel lines?

Anyone ever had this problem? I recently gave my son a 72 for his bday and it will run for a few minutes and then die. I went so far as to take my carb off of my truck and replace his with it. I also installed a glass filter close to the carb so I could watch the fuel flow..... plenty of fuel but same result. I kept watching and eventually saw bubbles in the filter. I assume it is one of the old hoses back under the cab or in the cab. Will look more tomorrow.
rogergodding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2010, 11:19 PM   #2
pat 70/71

Re: Air in the fuel lines?

had the same type of issue with my rear mounted tank. took me some time to figure it out so here goes! I checked everything to do with the fuel system(all new) hard lines/filter/pump/tank etc, what happened in my case was the rubber feed line from the tank to the hard line was rubbing on a frame member above the tank and it had made just a little hole in the rubber so small that the only way i found it was to run air through it! swapped it out & all was well in my world . good luck Pat
pat 70/71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2010, 11:15 PM   #3
rogergodding

Re: Air in the fuel lines?

update.... Got around to pulling the sending unit out of the tank. It was 99% blocked! Got it cleaned out and no more are in the line..... must have been sucking the air in at one of the clamped hose connections since it couldn't get enough fuel.... runs great now.....
rogergodding is offline   Reply With Quote