The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-26-2010, 10:44 AM   #1
ARTISTIC

New to forum, Q's and Photos

My first post on here since 2004 when I bought my truck - it hasnt been driven much in the past 6 years, maybe 5 - 6k miles in all.

I had the engine rebuilt the year after I bought it as the original owner had really done a number on it.

We moved way north in 2007 and the truck sat for two years before I went and drove it the 2500km north.

I now have the means to begin what I meant to start almost 6 years ago just not the space (yet)

The truck is a 1970 C10, LWB 3/4 with wood bed, 350 and came with new rockers and cab corners which are still in storage.

Ive now put together spreadsheets on parts, companies, etc to begin buying in bulk (sheet metal, chassis etc). Its far too expensive up here to have body work done so I plan on doing it myself (along with everything else). Im used to it as Ive built an '84 Camaro and '88 Ford Ranger V8 with no pictures to show for it..

My plan is to convert the original drums front to back with some form of disk kit. Engine and sheet metal to follow.

A couple questions to start:

1) Is it worth spending big bucks on small patch pieces for things like the front fenders (shipping to northern Canada, the part price and the cost of time) or just replacing them?

2) Have a look at the bed sides in my pics - they seem bowed out in the middle. Is this normal or should I just replace them? Theyre on my 'replace' list at this point. I have never found a photo straight down the bed to compare.

3) How difficult is it to reskin the doors on these trucks?

Anyways, heres some photos.

ARTISTIC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 10:51 AM   #2
KEL
72 GMC

Re: New to forum, Q's and Photos

Welcome !
I think what you need is a really really big heater !
KEL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 11:45 AM   #3
eightbanger
454 MAKES IT ROAR

Quote:
Originally Posted by KEL View Post
Welcome !
I think what you need is a really really big heater !

Welcome mate!!
My bedsides are about the same as the D/S one in your pics, but your right hand side seems a little more bowed I've often thought if it were possible to fix a heavy duty ratchet strap in the stake pockets and start tightening to see if it pulled them in. Your bed headboard is a little worse than mine, I'm going to try and straighten mine soon if I get some decent weather.

An American living in a British body.

1971 Chevy Cheyenne 10 454

"In a time of universal deceit, telling the truth becomes a revolutionary act." - George Orwell

"When injustice becomes law, resistance becomes duty" - Thomas Jefferson

No more pain.
03.12.60 -- 12.28.10

http://www.youtube.com/Eightbanger

Last edited by eightbanger; 10-26-2010 at 11:50 AM.
eightbanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2010, 12:49 PM   #4
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

Re-skinning the doors is really very easy. You just use a hammer and dolly to wrap it around. My advice is to make sure that everything on the inside of the door is nice and rust free prior to skinning and make sure that the inside edges of the door(where the skin will sit) is nice and smooth too. I skinned mine and didn't make sure the edges were super smooth and now have some ripples and bumps that show on the door skin. Only problem I see is that the complete skins only pop up every so often for a good price.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote