The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-28-2010, 12:55 PM   #1
LeatherMan69

Gas Tank ?'s

So I want to do what alot of you have done and move the gas tank to under the bed.. Question is... where is the best place to get a tank for the best fit and obviously cheapest one. I know alot of you use the blazer tanks. I like that idea just havin' a hard time finding one.

Plus when i do this what cross member bars from the frame do i have to remove?

Let me know if this is a dumb ?
LeatherMan69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:09 PM   #2
PCHRODS

Re: Gas Tank ?'s

Brothers trucks offers the cheapest blazer tank kit but if you want the sickest tank out there go with the Rick's hotrod tanks theyre stainless and the fitment is perfect!
Posted via Mobile Device
PCHRODS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:19 PM   #3
thesledhead

Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherMan69 View Post
So I want to do what alot of you have done and move the gas tank to under the bed.. Question is... where is the best place to get a tank for the best fit and obviously cheapest one. I know alot of you use the blazer tanks. I like that idea just havin' a hard time finding one.

Plus when i do this what cross member bars from the frame do i have to remove?

Let me know if this is a dumb ?
I got lucky and found one out of a suburban for 40 bucks. It fell right in place and all I had to modify was the holes for the straps.
Name:  IMAG0170.jpg
Views: 785
Size:  105.4 KB
thesledhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2010, 05:25 PM   #4
GOPAPA

This is the Blazer Poly tank I put in my truck and if you look closely you can see where the bed rail sits by me wiping the dust off both frames..

This is the bed upside down showing where to take the rail out from by the white chalk marks on the rail ..I am standing at the rear of the truck bed taken this picture.. I left a couple inches of rail to sit on the frame on both sides and took the center out so to fit over the gas tank.. hope this helps ya

Old 10-28-2010, 07:06 PM   #5
mrhino
Account Suspended

I tried to use a blazer tank, but it hung down to low for me, and I couldn't afford one of the custom made ones. So I used one from a jeep, I paid $65 bucks for it Check out my build thread, we are on that topic right now!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=427417

mrhino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 09:03 AM   #6
LeatherMan69

GOPAPA yes that helps a great deal! I have to be honest i didnt even think about having to cut one of the bedrails sto make it fit. I was more concerned with the frame cross members. So if your standing at the end of your bed. it'll be the second bedrail that'll need to be chopped?

mrhino, that looks great too! i will check out your build thread for sure
Old 10-29-2010, 09:48 AM   #7
67Slider

I did a 69 Camaro gas tank install. Check out this thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=423035
67Slider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2010, 10:55 AM   #8
GOPAPA

[quote=LeatherMan69;4266716]GOPAPA yes that helps a great deal! I have to be honest i didnt even think about having to cut one of the bedrails sto make it fit. I was more concerned with the frame cross members. So if your standing at the end of your bed. it'll be the second bedrail that'll need to be chopped?

I thought you meant bed rail when you said frame rail.. Beings I didnt have to do anything with the frame cross members I assumed you meant bed rail..Yes the rail is the first one in from the tail gate end of the bed..

The correct way to take this out (espessially after one has painted the bed is to use a Recipitating saw and cut down on both ends and then along the bottom edge of the rail from both sides ..just leave the flange part of the rail which is spot welded on as it will not be in the way of the top of the gas tank..

DO NOT DO .. I had a friend helping me with taking the peice of bed rail out and I cut the ends down to this flange and the left my shop to go to the house to the rest room and when I came back ,,he had taken a chisel and broke the spot welds off and removed the rail piece.. NOW ..I have holes in my bed the size of dimes and larger where he chiseled out the bed metal with the flange of the rails .. doubt you will do it this wrong way ,, just needed to vent .LOL gp
Old 10-29-2010, 12:13 PM   #9
LeatherMan69

[quote=GOPAPA;4266855]
Quote:
Originally Posted by LeatherMan69 View Post
GOPAPA yes that helps a great deal! I have to be honest i didnt even think about having to cut one of the bedrails sto make it fit. I was more concerned with the frame cross members. So if your standing at the end of your bed. it'll be the second bedrail that'll need to be chopped?

I thought you meant bed rail when you said frame rail.. Beings I didnt have to do anything with the frame cross members I assumed you meant bed rail..Yes the rail is the first one in from the tail gate end of the bed..

The correct way to take this out (espessially after one has painted the bed is to use a Recipitating saw and cut down on both ends and then along the bottom edge of the rail from both sides ..just leave the flange part of the rail which is spot welded on as it will not be in the way of the top of the gas tank..

DO NOT DO .. I had a friend helping me with taking the peice of bed rail out and I cut the ends down to this flange and the left my shop to go to the house to the rest room and when I came back ,,he had taken a chisel and broke the spot welds off and removed the rail piece.. NOW ..I have holes in my bed the size of dimes and larger where he chiseled out the bed metal with the flange of the rails .. doubt you will do it this wrong way ,, just needed to vent .LOL gp
Its good that you thought i meant bed rails... In all honesty i did even think of having to do that but it makes perfect sense. But as you can see on my build thread 'Irish Zombie' the bottom of my bed is in need of some serious work. So cutting that bedrail out may save me some money from havin to buy some new ones. I will have to buy some but one less sounds good to me! I actually just tore the bed down almost completely. Got some pesky rusted on bolts a grinder has to take care of till its completely torn down. But as far as the frame crossmembers i just have on i have to take out that used to hold the Spare tire
Old 10-29-2010, 12:19 PM   #10
bguild

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrhino View Post
I tried to use a blazer tank, but it hung down to low for me, and I couldn't afford one of the custom made ones. So I used one from a jeep, I paid $65 bucks for it Check out my build thread, we are on that topic right now!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=427417

Can you tell me what jeep this came out of? also you are running an L:S motor.. I have a 350 so I assume the sending units will be different. Please let me know.

Toys:
2014 Dodge Ram
1967 SHORTBED
bguild is offline   Reply With Quote