The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 10-30-2010, 02:06 AM   #1
OldJimmy57

New direction for an old project. 57 Chevy

I have had this truck for quite a few years now and have been down 2 different paths so far. So hopefully third times the charm with this truck. My mom actually bought it for me when I graduated school. Anyway to get to the truck and the point and soon to what you guys like. Pictures.
The truck is a 57 Chevy SWB small back glass. had the chance to get a big back glass and decided not too since I think the smaller back glass looks more (hot rodish) imo. Ya i know just my opinion. Anyway I have been doing alot of reading and have been doing some measuring. Here is what I have came up with and will be doing. The 03-09 crown vic's have a bolt in front subframe that is all aluminum has 12 inch brakes, sway bar and rack and pinion all in one unit and is VERY VERY cheap. Picked mine up for 250. I know the crown vic is a bit wider and by a bit we are talking 62.8" front track width to the chevy trucks 60.52" track width so the difference is 2.27" I can offset that with wheel choices. The rearend I am planning on using is a 3.73 LSD unit with disc brakes and sway bar as well from a Ford Exploder so I can keep the same wheel pattern. By the way this model is the 8.8" rear end but it has 31 spline axles so it is stronger then the 28 spline 9" but weaker then the 31 spline of course. And I was planning on using a ls1 motor but the 5.3's have become so cheap and plentiful and have the same basic design that I cant see any reason to spend the extra money right now. So I found a 5.3 motor and transmission for 500 bucks. Has 41k miles on it and just need a ECU so I think my project is coming together nicely. Anyway for now here are some pictures.
Attached Images