The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 10-30-2010, 11:42 PM   #1
TruAggression

check engine light on code 55

So my truck today for some reason did not wanna start finally got it started with my foot floored on the gas so truck has flooded code came on pulled it its code 55 ecm failure so i replaced the ecm still same issue help its my daily driver. Oh i also replaced o2 sensor cause that was part of a code 55 does anybody think ground???
TruAggression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2010, 11:42 PM   #2
TruAggression

Re: check engine light on code 55

by the way its a 87 305 tbi
Old 10-31-2010, 12:54 AM   #3
rfmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruAggression View Post
So my truck today for some reason did not wanna start finally got it started with my foot floored on the gas so truck has flooded code came on pulled it its code 55 ecm failure so i replaced the ecm still same issue help its my daily driver. Oh i also replaced o2 sensor cause that was part of a code 55 does anybody think ground???
Possible causes for Code 55 are limited to:
1. Defective or incorrectly inserted MEMCAL (aka PROM)
2. Defective ECM
If replacing the ECM, be sure to transfer both the PROM and the CALPACK from the old unit. If the old-ECM also indicated PROM failure (Code 51) or a bad CALPACK (Code 52), be sure to verify these components are fully operational in the new unit. If they are not, they too will have to be replaced. Did you move PROM from old ECM to the new one? Are the two ECM's the same?? Are you sure about Code 55???

You should see it as 12 12 12 pause 55 55 55 pause repeat sequence

//RF

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2010, 01:07 AM   #4
TruAggression

Yeah I moved both prom to the new ecm and nothing changed. Thankfully I'm in the automotive business and they accepted the return on the ecu even though I used it. So I just got done playing with truck now and noticed one of my grounds coming off the coolant temp sensor thats on top of the alternator bracket was showing wire and looked horrible so i put a nice shiny new one on it. Since that I started it up and now no code on no hard start WTF??!! Was that my whole problem? I guess it really is Halloween already weird i guess? or no? And thank you RF for responding for some reason I thought you would. You are probably one of the best I've dealt with when it comes to these issues and I thank you for that sir.
Old 10-31-2010, 11:37 AM   #5
rfmaster

Quote:
Originally Posted by TruAggression View Post
Yeah I moved both prom to the new ecm and nothing changed. Thankfully I'm in the automotive business and they accepted the return on the ecu even though I used it. So I just got done playing with truck now and noticed one of my grounds coming off the coolant temp sensor thats on top of the alternator bracket was showing wire and looked horrible so i put a nice shiny new one on it. Since that I started it up and now no code on no hard start WTF??!! Was that my whole problem? I guess it really is Halloween already weird i guess? or no? And thank you RF for responding for some reason I thought you would. You are probably one of the best I've dealt with when it comes to these issues and I thank you for that sir.
Any time Mr TrueA.

Since this is Halloween I am going to venture and say that you may have had a DTC code 15 and not 55. DTC 15 stands for coolant temperature sensor (CTS) circuit is open (equivalent to very cold temperature -40C). If you had a broken ground wire this will result in open CTS circuit! With CTS open ECM will command very rich fuel mixture, especially when starting. Did you ever tried to start engine at -40C (Minnesota comes to mind)?? No wonder folks there have block heaters! This may explain why it flooded - ECM did not know any better! Post a picture of that wire - CTS has two wires Yellow and black (or some other color sometimes) and if black was broken - this will explain your situation.

Good luck

//RF

1975 Chevrolet C20 longbed
350/700R4! with 3inch body lift
Dual Flowmasters Super 40's!
TBI retrofit completed (2007-07-29)
New 383CID (+030) 08-304-8 9.5:1CR x36,005 (2012-12-17)
rfmaster is offline   Reply With Quote