The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-01-2010, 10:28 PM   #1
kcfirstbuild

Rear Main Question

So I have my engine on an engine stand and I'm rebuilding the entire thing. I'm a bit confused about the two piece rear main and how to properly install it. I have been told two different ways . Install it dry and other to rtv it in ??? The book I have has no mention of Rtv when installing the seal.

Not sure whats the correct way. Its A fel-pro blue colored seal.

This is my First build so don't beat be up to bad.
kcfirstbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2010, 11:47 PM   #2
78bronzechariot

Re: Rear Main Question

I have used the purple permatex "high tack" that you brush on when doing it with the engine in the vehicle. Helps keep it where it is supposed to be. Out of the vehicle, I would lightly oil the surface that touches the crank and install it without any sealant. Just make sure everything is perfectly clean and has no burrs on the mounting surface.
78bronzechariot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 12:06 AM   #3
magicoolbus

Install seal dry into grooves in bearing half and block half. Rotate the seal in the halves so the stick out about 1/2 to 3/4 inch. Basically so the seal halves are not in direct line up with the block/bearing half. Dab RTV on the ends of the seals where they will touch each other. Tons of right ups about this here and other places. As others have said, dry seals on start up are no bueno! Be sure to lube it up a bit. I have even put in some grease behind the seal lip for timing cover seals and main seals. Good luck.
Attached Images

1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
magicoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 08:54 AM   #4
kcfirstbuild

OK Ill take it apart and Put a Small amount on the each half where they meet. I Did the 1/2 inch sticking out part and rtv on the Rear main cap just at the tips. I Still have to Figure out if my crank has end Play. NOt sure how I do that either. Should i take the seals out when looking for end play?

Thanks for all the Help. Glad i can take my time on this truck !
kcfirstbuild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 10:05 AM   #5
Alex Hayley

The seals will not get in the way of taking that measurement. However, if the end play is too little, you will have to take it apart and sand the rear main bearing down a bit. So wait to install the seal until you have measured the end play.

A dial indicator is used to measure the end play. I wonder if you could use a feeler gauge? Someone might know.
Alex Hayley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 11:48 PM   #6
magicoolbus

A feeler gauge is commonly used for the endplay check. It's checked at the thrust bearing, just use a prybar between a main cap and crank throw to push the crank from thrust bearing and measure clearance.
1962 VW Beetle
1957 Willys CJ5
magicoolbus is offline   Reply With Quote