The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-02-2010, 03:20 PM   #1
bw4sale

How do you hunt?

I'm new to piecing together a project and have never done any junkyard hunting or anything. When you are looking for something specific like a certain model trans, what do you do? Do you call the junkyards around or do you have to go look? Will they be able to tell you if they have that specific part or will the just tell you if they have a vehicle it might have come in? Do you post an add on craigslist or anywhere? 70BLAZERX2 showed me Car-part.com. Are there other resources like this? I'm looking for either an NV3500 or an AX15 5-speed for my project. Thanks.

-'68 Stepside Project
-'98 Z71 Daily Driver
-Enough extra parts to build another truck and a half
bw4sale is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 03:40 PM   #2

Re: How do you hunt?

When I go junkyarding I go in person and just ask to walk around and look. If you find some stuff, make a list and go back to the office and ask prices. I have never had luck with asking for parts. Also, be prepared for some yards to tell you that you're not allowed to look around as it's an insurance liability. Those yards don't get my business simply because I like the hunt and the satisfaction of finding parts on my own.
70 Chevy El Camino SS396, Triple Black, 454/th400, Tach
70 Chevy Shortbox Stepside 4x4, 350/th350, Tilt, Tach, Cab Lights, Bumper Guards, Tow Hooks
70 Chevy 3/4 Longbox, 350/auto, 70k, SURVIVOR
71 Chevy Blazer, CST, 350/auto
71 GMC Sierra K2500, 454, 4 speed, 4.10 posi, 37s
71 Custom/30, Open Road, 350/th400, tilt
72 Chevy Shortbox Fleetside, 496 Stroker/th400, Tilt, Tach, Bucket Seats, 3.42 Posi
72 GMC Sierra Grande 2500. 427/th400, tilt, a/c, tool and stowage, buckets/console, 3.54 posi
68350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:13 PM   #3
DorianB

I am a big fan of Pull-a-part. You can look up vehicles on the internet, and also get a listing of prices. You know exactly how much a part will cost if you can find it, and also where the vehicles are. The only real downside I see is that they don't tell you if a particular vehicle HAS the part you are looking for.. you may get there and only find a frame.
DorianB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 04:20 PM   #4
PanelDeland
I am a Referee of life.

^I'm with Dorian,I like Pull-a-Part because I can check without leaving the house unless there is a trucvk that intrests me that just hit the lot.I also have a GAPCO JY here,that is much like it except they haven't got the online.There is also another yard nearby but they are quite a bit higher and the yard is cluttered so bad you may not be able to get to what you see much less get it off.Some yards will bargain with you and others have half price days,all you can carry days and such.Try to keep track of those as they can save you big time.Also try to find someone to go with,two sets of eyes are better than one.
Barrett-Jackson has perfected alchemy,they make rust into gold!
"You can lead a horse to water but you can't saddle a duck"
"Cleverly disguised as a 'Responsible Adult'
"Sometimes your Knight in shining armor is just a retard in tinfoil"

Last edited by PanelDeland; 11-02-2010 at 04:21 PM.
PanelDeland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:04 PM   #5
bernd

These days there seem to be lots of services online where you fill out a form and submit it, and then you'll get offers for parts rolling into your inbox over the next day or so. I think many of these services are connected with each other. I've had success with this for modern cars and trucks (15 years older or less), but haven't tried classics. There have got to be a few folks out in remote places that specialize in rust-free parts for these trucks. For example, I've dealt with the "Yota Yard" for Toyota parts and with a guy named "Boneyard Stan" (I think) for Pontiac parts.

I used to go junkyarding a lot, but with many folks being sue-happy and insurance what it is, you don't get let into a lot of yards to go poking around anymore. A friend and I once brought a camera in while looking for classic Pontiac parts and the owner had a fit. We just wanted some cool black & white shots of old junkers and looking back on it, there was probably something back there he didn't want people taking photos of.
bernd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2010, 07:09 PM   #6
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

An old man had a wrecking yard in Little Rock. He had a '23 TT Ford out front that he wouldn't sell.....so it disintegrated. He also had a Kaiser Darrin that he kept inside. He wouldn't let people go and "hunt", so the locals just picked it when he wasn't there. He knew what he had, but didn't know what was left.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:55 AM   #7
bw4sale

Quote:
These days there seem to be lots of services online where you fill out a form and submit it, and then you'll get offers for parts rolling into your inbox over the next day or so.
So you know of any specific one? Can anyone recommend a specific service?

-'68 Stepside Project
-'98 Z71 Daily Driver
Old 11-03-2010, 10:28 AM   #8
bernd

Just google for "junkyard network" or "junkyard parts" "auto parts locator", etc. I've used this service 3 times and don't remember which one I specifically used. They all seem to be connected anyway.

Good luck!
bernd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 05:06 PM   #9
bw4sale

Ok. Thanks.

-'68 Stepside Project
-'98 Z71 Daily Driver
Old 11-03-2010, 06:33 PM   #10
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Quote:
Originally Posted by 68350 View Post
when i go junkyarding i go in person and just ask to walk around and look. If you find some stuff, make a list and go back to the office and ask prices. I have never had luck with asking for parts. Also, be prepared for some yards to tell you that you're not allowed to look around as it's an insurance liability. Those yards don't get my business simply because i like the hunt and the satisfaction of finding parts on my own.
x2

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote