The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-03-2010, 09:53 PM   #1
breezy

New guy with lotta ??'s

I've just got a 71 SWB and am starting on making it my own.
Does anyone know of a driveshft for a 700r4 conversion besides cutting the one I have.
I also have collected all the TBI stuff for it except the harness. Has anyone used a harness from Haywire in Joplin Mo.
I'm not sure if I have all the info on this that I need so if you all could point me in the right direction I would be much appreciative (sp).
I also would like some shorty headers. Has anyone ran they chevelle headers and if so any part numbers and input would be great.
I also found a set for a jeep conversion that also list for a chevy truck. They are made by headman I belive. They look very good and I can get them for 180 from work. I work for the green mafia. Or O'reilly for those of you that don't knoe of the mafia.
That's enough for you all to chew on for now.
Thanks for any help. I've already got alot of money in this thing so I might as well finish her up.
So far , 383,4 wheel disc. old air, van tilt,new interior , new dash, lowered, 18" coys, and more. Trying to stay under 15,000 with this truck. Don't tell my wife but it's going to be close.
Here's a pic. Tell me what you all think.
Attached Images

Last edited by Sillyoldman; 11-05-2010 at 11:01 AM. Reason: You must be a premium member to sell or advertise
breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 09:58 PM   #2
tantrumpipeline
Master Procrastinator

Re: New guy with lotta ??'s

looks like a nice truck.
77 2wd short fleet beater
52 short project

Last edited by Sillyoldman; 11-05-2010 at 11:02 AM. Reason: Removed fs reference
tantrumpipeline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:01 PM   #3
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

For a guy from Missouri, you sure do ask a lot of questions.....

Seriously, your truck looks good. As for your driveshaft issue, I know of no driveshaft that is a bolt-in for a 700R4 conversion. My transmission guy quoted me $1500 for a 700R4 and that included the driveshaft work.

As far as your wiring questions...someone will probably have experience and can answer them for you.

If you have managed to keep your investment to $15K, good for you. When I got my '69, 11 years ago, I told the wife that I'd probably have the equivalent of a new truck invested. So far, I'm thankful for inflation....I'm probably going to end up somewhere around $20K in mine....if it ever gets out of paintshop limboland.

BTW, nice-looking truck.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2010, 10:09 PM   #4
breezy

You guys are all over this fast. As far as selling, I really don't need a stroker motor truck. I would rather have a plain 350 or 327. This is my daily driver and is really to nice for that. My old 52 was flat black and subframed. So this is quite a step up for my DD truck.
1500 is alot of loot. I am having the tranny built for 600 bucks and can get a drive shaft cut for 50 bucks. Helps to have been selling parts to these guys for 20 years. Calling in so favors on this thing. I also have the keys to 2 of the shops in town and all the lifts and tools you could think of.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:38 PM   #5
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

So, what're you waiting for?

BTW, O'Reilly's is my preferred supplier. My youngest son is the parts manager for the "city" bus line in LR. His major parts store is not OReilly's but he's been known to use 'em.

I'm somewhat of an old parts guy. Really liked selling parts and helping folks when they had a need for something that required a little thought on my part. Lots of stuff interchanged if you went back in time. Had a customer when I was pulling wrenches at Sears, who was trying to get to the horse races. His AC compressor had locked up and burnt off the matched belts that drove it and the water pump. He was driving a '72 Caddy and the books only showed one set of belts because all of those models came with AC. So, I did some research and found that the '65 Caddy could have come w/o AC. The matched belts for that model worked perfectly on the '72, if you bypassed the AC. The customer was happy and made the first post time.

You just can't beat a good parts man, when you need one. I'm not bragging on me....just making a point for anyone who doesn't have a good one on tap.

As for the $1500 price tag on the OD/driveshaft......there's $1500 reasons I don't have an OD....yet.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 12:06 AM   #6
Gobbles

I can't help with your questions but I really like your tire/wheel combo! Looks awesome, I imagine mine will be very similar. Just putting it out there.

"You already said spite"
Gobbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2010, 09:06 PM   #7
breezy

No more help?? Figured I"d have more than this?
'
Old 11-05-2010, 10:34 AM   #8
red71cheyenne
Back in the sticks

I'll have to get under the 71 and measure my driveshaft for you. I went to a one piece when I put the 700r4 in. Only issue I've noticed with it is that it rubs sometimes on the center support if I'm carrying a really heavy load and hit a bump. Only a little though. I got my driveshaft at a local guys place that rebuilt them on the side. He had several just laying around.

Can't help you on the headers, I run dynomax on mine and they hang low enough to be seen under the truck. Mine isn't lowered.
2011 K1500 Suburban
2014 K1500 Pickup
2008 Nissan Altima? The wifes' hoopty
red71cheyenne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 10:49 AM   #9
LEEVON

Breezy, very nice truck and I like where you're heading with it. Please be patient your answers will come there's lots of knowledge on this forum. We want you to make friends and stick around, ya dig?

As for the driveshaft, it should come out to around 56 3/4" which is very close to 88-98 swb 2wd trucks, so you could start there if you want to find a used one but it's gonna run you $50. For me it's easier just to take it and have it cut or lengthened (depending on if you have a short or long tail TH350). You'd want to have a used one balanced with new u-joints anyways. Last one I had lengthened with new u-joints and balanced was $200. Last one I had shortened with new u-joints and balanced was about $120. You can get it done for $50 so why bother with a used one. Do you have a 2-piece driveshaft?

Haven't used Haywire myself but I plan to soon. A friend of mine has been using them for many years (old hot rodder and go-to wiring guy) and he won't use anything else. He was showing me a new one in the box and what was better about it than others. Keep in mind that those types of harnesses are made to fit about anything so you will have to make all the terminations, etc., whereas a direct-fit harness costs a bunch more but comes just like factory.

Oh yeah, you're going to love the 700R4. I get my kicks passing new cars on the highway burning only at 2200rpms.

Last edited by LEEVON; 11-05-2010 at 10:52 AM.
LEEVON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 08:43 PM   #10
breezy

Leevon, Don't get me wrong I wasn't being a butt. Just figured I would get a little more, a little quicker. I have a 400 turbo now. And a one piece shaft. The fella that does my shaft work is great at it and he doesn't have to balance them when there done. He can weld like a machine. Welds shafts in a lathe, so they are turning while he welds. Only reason I would like a used one is that I could probably get it for FREE with my yard hook ups. Then I would not have to get my buddy to the shop to measure for the new one. I could drive to his place and he could measure for the new shaft. I don't want to tie up my other buddies lift waiting on the welder guy. Yes I am blessed with alot of shop, yard,welding,powder coating, and just about anything car related buddies. I even had a buddy drive all my new t-posts for my fence for free. I'm not buddest or anything like that, but I do unto others as I want done to me. Took me 20 years to figure out the world was not out to get me. These last 20 have been alot easier to get thru. Thanks for all the help so far.

Last edited by breezy; 11-05-2010 at 08:44 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:29 PM   #11
LEEVON

I didn't think you were being a butt at all, just wanted to keep your thread going.

Welcome!

Last edited by LEEVON; 11-05-2010 at 10:30 PM.
Old 11-05-2010, 10:48 PM   #12
breezy

That works for me. What part of Ark. you from? Rogers?
Old 11-05-2010, 11:58 PM   #13
LEEVON

We live in Pea Ridge just outside of Bentonville / Rogers. Where is Palaskifield?
Old 11-06-2010, 02:51 AM   #14
stich626
Account Suspended

why u want tbi?
they fuel limited a 350, you have a 383.
you'll get the same mpg with a q jet, without the computer and new computer controlled dissy
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 04:15 AM   #15
swamp rat

Welcome and thats a sweet truck!

I cant help you with the driveshaft tranny stuff but just another suggestion on the headders, you may concider a corvett rams head manafolds instead of stock as they flow quite well compared to stockers.

Swamp Rat build thread :
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=595019

72 3/4T 4X4
4" BDS Lift
33" BFG's
swamp rat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 09:36 AM   #16
breezy

Why TBI? Drivability and not everyone's wife knows how to start a Q-jet or any type carb setup.Plus I could care less about a 383 it was in the truck when I purchased it. And supposedly fresh, so I hate to pull it out.Pulaskifield is a old polish community that really is just a church now. It's where I was raised, along with my relatives. I just like to keep it alive sorta. Anyhow it's about 3 miles from Monett. I'm about 30 minutes from Ark. down 60.
Old 11-06-2010, 10:13 AM   #17
LEEVON

TBI can work, just won't be breaking any speed records. I like how simple they are. Here is a good website:

http://www.tbichips.com/

send a PM to 67cheby, he had or has a stand-alone TBI going in his '67 and you can't even tell it's there. The harness is really small and has just a couple of hook-ups. He has old school valve covers and air cleaner, wouldn't suspect it has TBI at all.

Also do a google search for "ultimate TBI mods"

I pass through Monett weekly on my way to Springfield, we're moving there next summer.

Last edited by LEEVON; 11-06-2010 at 10:53 AM.
Old 11-06-2010, 12:03 PM   #18
stich626
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by breezy View Post
Why TBI? Drivability and not everyone's wife knows how to start a Q-jet or any type carb setup.Plus I could care less about a 383 it was in the truck when I purchased it. And supposedly fresh, so I hate to pull it out.Pulaskifield is a old polish community that really is just a church now. It's where I was raised, along with my relatives. I just like to keep it alive sorta. Anyhow it's about 3 miles from Monett. I'm about 30 minutes from Ark. down 60.
good luck..
the extra c.i.d. will make you run lean..
you can up the fuel pressure a little..
lean = melted parts. good luck
stich626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 08:35 PM   #19
breezy

Hey leevon if you go by on 60 look over at O'reilly's you might see my truck. I park next to the building on the south side. Stop by if you like. If the 71 isn't there I'm in the 06 SWB with SS wheels.
Stitch I hope I won't have any trouble with leaning it out. Should ping and the knock sensor will adjust for the problem. Also concidering a 454 TBI. From what I've been able to find the 350 TBI is a 670 cfm. I have a Q-jet now and it is 650 cfm. No problems with it.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:40 PM   #20
WIDESIDE72

Nice truck!

I have a 72 SWB step. I swapped in a 700r4. I slipped an old yoke I had into the trans, measured from where the middle of the front yoke would be to the where the middle of the rear yoke would be and got 55 1/2" at ride height. A few weeks back, I came across a Craigslist ad from someone selling a driveshaft out of an 85 Chevy SWB... It was 55 1/2" center to center as well.
WIDESIDE72 is offline   Reply With Quote