The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current Classic GM Trucks Classifieds > The 1973-1987 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Parts Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-04-2010, 09:45 AM   #1
tucsonjwt

For Sale: 2 Fuel Sending Units

I have two fuel tank sending units removed from my 83 C20 dual tanks - $25 for both, including shipping. I replaced them thinking they were bad, but it turned out I needed a fuel gauge instead, so I believe these are good sending units, since they were working prior to the gas gauge going out. Strainer socks show wear, but are not worn through and I did not see any sediment in the carburetor fuel filter when I changed it. New socks are available online for about $9 ea. No payment required until you get the units and are satisfied with them - shipped at my expense. Includes new installation o rings and lock rings, plus the OEM lock rings and o rings I removed from these original units.

tucsonjwt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 11:03 AM   #2
ScottH

Re: For Sale: 2 Fuel Sending Units

I need one for a drivers side tank, would u split?
Does it make a difference if its a short bed tank or long bed tank?
BTW any other parts for the dual tank set up?

Looks like I'm buying all your extra parts! lol

thanks.
Scott
ScottH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 12:15 PM   #3
Jonboy
Slots go on anything!

If you decide to split them up, I will take the other one. Mine has a nice bounce to it.
Old 11-06-2010, 11:40 AM   #4
tucsonjwt

Scott, long post ahead, could be TMI, but I want to be specific.
I am not sure about the application for just the driver's side of a truck. These have 3 outlets - some have two outlets, or some other different configuration of outlets (for vapor recovery or no vapor recovery, etc.) I don't have any more dual tank parts, except maybe a selector switch with a broken clip or bezel, but you can buy those for $12-$15 anywhere.
Suggest that you enter your year and model of truck in an online order website (oewarehouse.com, or oehq.com for genuine Delco parts, Rock Auto for both Delco and aftermarket) to get a part number and a picture of the sending unit you need - then match that to the picture shown. I am pretty sure that dual tank or single tank take the same fuel sender - but you need to research that - especially the no vapor recovery system unit like this one is designed for (these are for no vapor recovery -the third outlet just takes a short piece of hose and a vent cap to vent the tank, no vapor recovery canister.) I am attaching a pic of the sending unit set up - I converted the short vent hoses to long vent hoses that run to the back near the spare tire and capped them off there. This stops the gas smell from entering the cab of the truck. I have more pics of both sending units set up, if you want me to post them.
I replaced these with Spectra brand aftermarket sending units - FG05F for Driver's side and FG05G for passenger side. You can check Rock Auto's website for these 2 part numbers (search under 83 C20 454) and click on the blue highlighted part number -you will get a list of all applications these parts fit - your truck might be one of them. I am assuming that this Spectra part will interchange with my stock units - but that is a guess.
Let me know what your research turns up.
Attached Images

Old 11-06-2010, 11:47 AM   #5
tucsonjwt

Jonboy, looks like these might get split up, depending on what Scott wants to do. I'll have to recalculate the postage, so it won't be exactly 1/2 of $25. It costs more for postage than what I am asking for the parts I am posting for sale.
Old 11-06-2010, 05:24 PM   #6
ScottH

thanks very much for the info and pic. I will check my truck (its kind of a mixture) and see what will work. Most likely will take both but need to check what is in the truck now.

Thanks.
Scott
Old 11-06-2010, 05:34 PM   #7
ScottH

Looks like I will need both, so I'll take em.

Thanks.
Scott
Old 11-06-2010, 05:45 PM   #8
tucsonjwt

Scott - I will send them out to your Monday morning - thanks.