The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-05-2010, 12:05 AM   #1
mcmullinauctions
McMullin

Anyone make an upper cab patch panel?

Does anyone make an upper cab ( over the windshield rubber) patch panel interior/ exterior. For a 60-63 cab? I have an awesome cab but it has serious rust inside and out over the windshield. I have thought about finding a big back window cab and swapping the back and roof sections but I am still very new to body work. Which would be easier? A patch or new roof?
Posted via Mobile Device
mcmullinauctions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:07 AM   #2
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Re: Anyone make an upper cab patch panel?

There is a patch panel available for that area, but I think they are for the '64-'66's. I don't know if they could be used on the '60-'63's. Check out Top Banana Restorations, they are a vendor here and I know they have the parts. As for the outside/roof, I would replace the whole outer roof panel. It's just a matter of a hundred or so spot welds around the perimeter. That is far easier than trying to weld across the roof panel and not warping it. If you can find a complete cab with a useable upper portion, that would be a good way to go also.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 01:12 AM   #3
Sixxer

Is this what you're talking about? If so this one is specific to your 60-63.

http://www.topbananaparts.com/servle...y-truck/Detail
Sixxer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2010, 03:57 PM   #4
mcmullinauctions
McMullin

Sixxer- Thanks! That is the exact piece I am looking for. I have to find something for the inside as well. Do you think I could get away with fixing it with the upper roof in place? How do I separate the two sections? My upper roof is perfect all the way around so I hate to take it off if I can prevent it. Also, if I find a good BBW cab could I cut it off at the A pillars and down on the floor and weld the whole rear wall and roof section in. How well would that hold up?
Old 11-05-2010, 04:20 PM   #5
mcmullinauctions
McMullin

Sixxer- Thanks! That is the exact piece I am looking for. I have to find something for the inside as well. Do you think I could get away with fixing it with the upper roof in place? How do I separate the two sections? My upper roof is perfect all the way around so I hate to take it off if I can prevent it. Also, if I find a good BBW cab could I cut it off at the A pillars and down on the floor and weld the whole rear wall and roof section in. How well would that hold up?
Old 11-05-2010, 04:52 PM   #6
McC_65_91

I need this part as well but i got a 65... do they make the patch pannel for 4-5-6's?? i just looked on top bananna and didnt see it and havent seen it anywhere else either. this is the only real bad spot on may cab, inside and out though. PO did driver side floor panels and everything else looks pretty good. ive got cab lights on the roof and were leaking and as a result this section on my cab is pretty bad. donor cab is pretty much outta the question for me as well so this panel would be a lifesaver.

PS. sorry for hijacking your thread
McC_65_91 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 01:01 PM   #7
McC_65_91

TTT, anyone know of a 4-5-6 patch? ive looked around and havent found one
Old 11-08-2010, 02:35 PM   #8
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

I have seen a 456 patch somewhere..also I will look again, but one time I eyeballed the piece that rusts, and from the factory seam side to side the middle piece looked to be the same 60-66.

I do not think they make an inner patch, which is silly because I have seen more inners rusted than outers, and alot of times both sides are gone...
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2010, 05:21 PM   #9
McC_65_91

found one on LMC but its like $125, it does look like the 60-63 top banana one is the same though, (and only $39... sux for me) , anyone used one and can give some advice, input ect?
and jon, i agree mines rotted both sides in and out, inside is probably little worse tho
Old 11-20-2010, 10:15 PM   #10
60apache

I was gonna say lmc as well. I looked at it for my 60 but mine is more on the corner at the top and I dont think anyone makes that piece.
60apache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 10:37 PM   #11
jonzcustomshop
1961 crewcab

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcmullinauctions View Post
I kind of did this proces on my radical 60 build (link in sig\/)

if you do find a bbw probably the easiest would be to cut at the a pillars and somewhere low on the back or the cab, either through the back panel, or across the floor and rockers.
mainly depends on how good your new piece is.
jonzcustomshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 11:43 PM   #12
RollinKaos

I have the same issue with my cab. It is rusted pretty bad almost all the way across. The inner is rusted out too. I have debated on just replacing the cab entirely or cutting the roof off of a donor cab. 60 - 63 cabs are hard to come by that arent as bad if not worse than what I have.
CPP 3/5 drop with front sway bar.
RollinKaos is offline   Reply With Quote