The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2010, 03:34 PM   #1
57 3100

ceramic brake pad question..

guys,
on my 57 i am running a disc brake conversion that uses 1970-78 camaro rotors, calipers and bearings on my factory spindles.
brakes fine and drives fine, with no pulling at speed and no pulling when braking.
me, always wanting to make sure everything is fine, i took my infrared temp sensor today after getting home from driving and checked both front rotors.
drivers side was about 40 degrees hotter than the passengers side, like 120 vs. 160 degrees, if i remember correctly.
jacked up the front and both wheels spin equally as hard.
i noticed the rotors looked a little blueish, heated, so that caught my attention, but when i looked at my daily drivers, a 2003 s-10 and a 1990 full size k-1500 4x4, both of those trucks also show a blueish tint on the rotors.
i run ceramic pads on all my trucks to keep the brake dust down.

so, do ceramic pads tend to run hotter and can make the rotors look heated, and is a 40 degree temp difference a problem from one rotor to the other ?
i checked the bearings about a year ago, or about 100 miles ago, and everything looked fine.
thanks guys.

leonard
57 3100 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:35 PM   #2
dwcsr
Hollister Road Co.

Re: ceramic brake pad question..

If you only see 120 -160 thats good. I would expect to see 300 or better. Cermaic has a few advantages over semi metalic in that they leave less dust, the brake squeel of ceramic is out of the hearing range of humans, and the last longer and can take higher heat before fading. Down side it they cost more and do need to warm up before they are at top stopping ability. Your going to see that blueish color on almot all discs due to th heat generated during a stop. The slight difference in temps could be due to many things but I wouldn't worry about it, If you said it was 200 or 300 degrees different then I'd say you have a problem. If you have no heat checking or cracking on the rotors then all is well.
dwcsr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 06:00 AM   #3
57 3100

Re: ceramic brake pad question..

thanks for the info man......
when i checked them on my 57 the truck sat maybe 5 minutes, due to me having to look for my temp sensor....
i decided to take the sensor along with my to my friends house and check them on my full size 4x4. right after pulling up to his house i had one at 200* and the other at 300*......... 100* difference...
so, like you said, i am not gonna worry about it....
thanks again for the info, i appreciate it.

leonard
57 3100 is offline   Reply With Quote