The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-06-2010, 04:12 PM   #1
tonypaul

Fuel sender wiring question...

I have a fuel cell with a 90ohm fuel sender in it with a "G" and "S" on it, I think..... I have two wires coming out of my cluster plug- fuel gauge feed and fuel gauge... How do I wire this correctly? I think "S" goes to "fuel feed", "G" goes to ground, but not sure about the "fuel gauge" wire.... I dont know.. my brain is mush right now!!!

My truck didnt have a working gas gauge when I got it, and the wiring was a mess. Im almost done with installing the EZ (yeah right) harness in and the gas gauge is the last thing I need to do. Since the truck was in such bad shape, I dont have a good reference point to go back to.
Thanks!
tonypaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:46 PM   #2
id_unavailable

Re: Fuel sender wiring question...

what color are the wires? the power is plugged into the fuse box (labeled fuel gauge)on mine.
id_unavailable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 05:54 PM   #3
RN72GMC

"S" is you signal wire from the gauge it should be tan with black strip and "G" is ground you can hook it up anywhere where there's a good ground location.... thats what i did on mine anyways......hope this helped
RN72GMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 06:20 PM   #4
tonypaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by RN72GMC View Post
"S" is you signal wire from the gauge it should be tan with black strip and "G" is ground you can hook it up anywhere where there's a good ground location.... thats what i did on mine anyways......hope this helped

On my notes, which may be wrong.. I show on the pin out gauge cluster plug- #3= Fuel Gauge Feed, #4 Fuel Guage..... Where does #4 go? Wire color isnt work in this case, my new harness is all black, only the small pig tails from my cluster plug remain...
Old 11-06-2010, 06:26 PM   #5
id_unavailable

are you sure it is not supposed to be power from the fuse block? Does the gague already have 12 volts?

Man I also feel your pain sometimes in frustration things get confusing.

Last edited by id_unavailable; 11-06-2010 at 06:27 PM.
id_unavailable is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 11:34 PM   #6
tonypaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by id_unavailable View Post
are you sure it is not supposed to be power from the fuse block? Does the gague already have 12 volts?

Not yet, Im getting there.... I will try wiring it up and see what happens... Im sure I will figure it out. I have been working on my vent window seals today- took a break from the wiring. Brain is not as mushy now I think I can get it tomorrow....
Old 11-07-2010, 11:53 AM   #7
raycow

GM's designations can be confusing because I have seen them use "fuel gauge" for both the dash and tank units. All I can tell you is that the dash unit lead which DOESN'T go to the tank goes to ignition switched power. If you have stock wire colors, that wire should be pink.

Ray

Last edited by raycow; 11-07-2010 at 11:57 AM.
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:15 PM   #8
tonypaul

Quote:
Originally Posted by raycow View Post
GM's designations can be confusing because I have seen them use "fuel gauge" for both the dash and tank units. All I can tell you is that the dash unit lead which DOESN'T go to the tank goes to ignition switched power. If you have stock wire colors, that wire should be pink.

Ray
Thats the way I was going to try first... seeing that it made the most sense. But if it burns to the ground- I can blame you!!!!!!

thanks for the help!
Old 11-07-2010, 01:40 PM   #9
haysonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonypaul View Post
Thats the way I was going to try first... seeing that it made the most sense. But if it burns to the ground- I can blame you!!!!!!

thanks for the help!
According to my Painless instructions that pink wire goes from Gauge to sending unit and the gauge gets its power from the B+ wire from fuse panel to gauge. B+ should be a red/white wire

Last edited by haysonj; 11-07-2010 at 01:44 PM.
haysonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:43 PM   #10
sjarrett71

Quote:
Originally Posted by id_unavailable View Post

I don't know about you but I wouldn't want 12 volt power from the fuse block going to my gas tank with gasoline in it. Of course I might be misunderstanding you and you meant power to the gauge and not the sending unit?

In my 72GMC I have one wire going from the gas tank sending unit to the fuse block marked "Fuel Gauge" or something like that. No power wires and no ground wires.

Last edited by sjarrett71; 11-07-2010 at 01:49 PM.
sjarrett71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 01:48 PM   #11
haysonj

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjarrett71 View Post
I don't know about you but I wouldn't want 12 volt power from the fuse block going to my gas tank with gasoline in it.

In my 72GMC I have one wire going from the gas tank sending unit to the fuse block marked "Fuel Gauge" or something like that. No power wires and no ground wires.
The ground is from the sending unit to ground. I had to jumper from the tank to frame for ground.