The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-07-2010, 12:04 AM   #1
GOPAPA

Kick Down Cable Bracket Questions

My kickdown cable bracket is made to bolt down to a manifold bolt coming from a 350th tranny to a small block motor, like a 350 V-8..

but I have a 402 cu in motor and a 350th tranny ,,( I don't think there is a bracket set up for this because the factory put electic kick downs on the 400 trannys to the BB engines,,CORRECT ME IFii AM WRONG ) the place where I do have to bolt the bracket up is stopping me from a hook up,,does not fit .

I will have modify this bracket to fit ,,but I need to know how you get the correct lenghth hook up to the carb? All the way to the end towards the front of the carb or half way ,,or?

I assume if it's off a quite a bit it will damage the tranny if not set correctly?

. gp Larry
Old 11-07-2010, 10:05 AM   #2
Hubscrub
Cruzin

Re: Kick Down Cable Bracket Questions

i have used these in when i didn't have a factory setup you can buy them at autozone, advance, etc... it just bolts to the back bolt of your carburator.

second pic is on my 71 green arrow is where it bolts to carb.
thrid pic is on my 75 nova with a 350 transmission
i have had no problems with them....
maybe this helps
Attached Images

Back to the Fifties 59 https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=...NAeStpydfrcj_U

Proverbs 3:5,6

"Thanks to the Interstate Highway System, it is now possible to travel across the country from coast to coast without seeing anything."Charles Kuralt

In memory of our first baby daughter, daddy and mommy love you.
Danica Grace 6/26/14
Hubscrub is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:09 AM   #3
jondancer

yeah i have a 350 with the 350turbo trans and my kick down cable is not connected , it just lays next to the carb. i'd like to hook it up but in the meanwhile is it hurting anything?
jondancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:20 AM   #4
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

The factory kick down bolts to the intake manifold, but your saying you can't mount it there?
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.
Sport/Truck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:08 AM   #5
GOPAPA

I have the 402 cu in engine and when I use the bracket I have ,,it makes the kickdown cable come up short to hook to the carburator ..plus the bracket is cockeyed some and not in line to the carburator.. Do they make BB brackets and SB brackets ? this may be my problem as I might have the wrong bracket/Or it may be because there is no factory bracket made for a BB motor ..( like I mentioned before ,,I think the BB engines was teamed up with a 400th tranny and used Electric kick down and no bracket.. Maybe I just need to modify this one that is meant for a 350 cu in engine manifold ??

I will take pics soon as it lightens up today.. and that may help you see the bracket I have and where I am trying to bolt it down to..gp

Can anyone identify this bracket and tell me if it is a bb or sb bracket.. ?

Last edited by GOPAPA; 11-07-2010 at 11:37 AM.
GOPAPA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 11:38 AM   #6
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
I have the 402 cu in engine and when I use the bracket I have ,,it makes the kickdown cable come up short to hook to the carburator ..plus the bracket is cockeyed some and not in line to the carburator.. Do they make BB brackets and SB brackets ? this may be my problem as I might have the wrong bracket/Or it may be because there is no factory bracket made for a BB motor ..( like I mentioned before ,,I think the BB engines was teamed up with a 400th tranny and used Electric kick down and no bracket.. Maybe I just need to modify this one that is meant for a 350 cu in engine manifold ??

I will take pics soon as it lightens up today.. and that may help you see the bracket I have and where I am trying to bolt it down to..gp
You might be correct about the BB and no bracket.....It doesn't look happy there!
Did you try to undo the adjustment clip and pull it out to the it's maximum length?
1971 GMC Sierra Grande, 1/2 ton short wide, original 4 bolt 010 020 block & heads. (matching #'s). 383 stroker, SMI q jet 750 cfm, Lunati Voodoo 60102 cam, Scorpion roller rockers, Spin Tech pro street mufflers with X pipe.

Last edited by Sport/Truck; 11-07-2010 at 11:40 AM.
Old 11-07-2010, 11:59 AM   #7
GOPAPA

My first pics shows that it will reach if I can modify the bracket and get it bolted down close to where it lies .. but I need to know if I am supposed to make that longated end of the cable to be centered on the slide bolt of the carb linkage ? I dont want to bend the bracket and bolt it down to find that it isnt bolted to the right spot and the linkage is all wrong ,, like to get it right the first bending I do to mount it,, know what I mean?
Old 11-07-2010, 03:46 PM   #8
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Your linkage looks like this one.
http://gallery.me.com/burchlife#1006...&bgcolor=black
Except it on wrong?

I'm thinking the aftermarket one will be your best bet.

Last edited by Sport/Truck; 11-07-2010 at 03:48 PM.
Old 11-07-2010, 03:58 PM   #9
GOPAPA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sport/Truck View Post
Your linkage looks like this one.
http://gallery.me.com/burchlife#1006...&bgcolor=black
Except it on wrong?

I'm thinking the aftermarket one will be your best bet.
Yeah ,,the one hubscrub showed is something I need to look into .. I tried the one I have many ways and nothing worked..

thanks to both of you ,,as have some ideas now that I didnt have before. .GP
Old 11-07-2010, 04:23 PM   #10
Sport/Truck
Sierra Grande Club

Quote:
Originally Posted by GOPAPA View Post
Yeah ,,the one hubscrub showed is something I need to look into .. I tried the one I have many ways and nothing worked..

thanks to both of you ,,as have some ideas now that I didnt have before. .GP
And by the looks of your picture your intake bolts are different than my SBC, so my bracket won't work for you either.