The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-10-2010, 09:19 PM   #1
1968CHEVYC10

no start blues...

Went to start my truck the other day. Here's what happened, It started and ran for two seconds then quit, this didn't surprise me because usually if you don't give it a touch of gas when you first start it, it'll quit. So I went to start it again this time it just cranked and didn't even try to start. I did some trouble shooting and discovered that the fuse on the wire to the distributor had burned out, so I thought easy fix and replaced it. Went to crank it and still no start. So I pulled a plug to check spark, none. I had an extra distributor laying around so I swapped that in got it all hooked up and cranked it, still no start but after pulling a plug I discovered I did have spark.
My only thought now is that I put the new dizzy in at #1 cylinder TDC exhaust stroke instead of compression stroke, how would you tell the difference? I know the piston was at TDC and the mark on the wheel on the crankshaft was lined up. Any help? Thanks Yall!
Old 11-10-2010, 09:37 PM   #2
Sinister
Between Trucks...

Re: no start blues...

If it was 180* out you'd know it. It'll buck and back fire a lot. Good luck with it.
Old 11-10-2010, 10:43 PM   #3
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

Re: no start blues...

Pull the no. 1 plug and the distributor BAt wire then have a helper bump the engine over, while you have your finger in the no.1 plug hole. When the compression blows your finger out of the hole, manually rotate the engine clockwise until the mark lines up at TDC. Then pull the distributor cap and see where the rotor is pointing. It should be pointing at the no. one plug tower. If it isn't then rotate the distributor shaft until it does and seat the distributor.
The engine should start there and then you can time it as needed.
Also be sure and check the plug wire routing and the firing order.

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote