The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-11-2010, 11:24 PM   #1
Fat Mike

59 Body Drop

Has anyone done a body drop by lowering the cab body mount brackets? What are some alternative bushing that can be used instead of the stock ones? What is the stock height of a new cab mount bushing for the front and rear? Can someone tell me what order do these go in? My cab did not come with any of this stuff.
Attached Images

Last edited by Fat Mike; 11-16-2010 at 09:55 AM.
Fat Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 12:11 AM   #2
jjjmm56

Re: 59 Body Drop

What is it your going for? If you raise or lower the cab then that affects where your core support and your box mounts. If your trying to lay rocker thats no problem running bags. I am running a 1" cab spacer on all corners and adjusted everything from there. Nothing is set in stone when doing a custom build, It's cut here shim there. You can't really plan everything ahead of time. You need to fabricate as you go.
jjjmm56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2010, 01:28 AM   #3
Kim57

Mike
I believe the body bushings are 3/4".
I'll check in the AM to verify.
Kim
Kim57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:44 PM   #4
robnolimit

The bottom of the rocker is already lower than the chassis. Channelling a 55-9 is a lot of work for what you get. It's easy to get them to lay out by just doing chassis work. by the way, you will loose some cab room if you do it, and there already small.
robnolimit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 06:21 PM   #5
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by robnolimit View Post
The bottom of the rocker is already lower than the chassis. Channelling a 55-9 is a lot of work for what you get. It's easy to get them to lay out by just doing chassis work. by the way, you will loose some cab room if you do it, and there already small.
Yeah thats true. I have been measuring mine and it is ABOUT 4-1/2" - 5" below the frame. If you are looking to lower it to the ground I would recommend a frame clip, camaro will get it there but you will have oil pan to ground clearance issues. Mine is a 71 C-10 front frame clip mated to a 1958 frame and my oil pan is about 2" above the crossmember.

My F.B. project page.
fabguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
Fat Mike

Here is the reason I was thinking a body drop. I like when people use a subframe where it is flay where it ties in to the existing frame. Most people leave the subframe high so they don't have to lower it or do a drop. Well I am getting ready to do my subframe and it will be level that is why Iwas possibly going to do a body drop. I am sure that with the bags I will get it as low as possible but just asking anyway.
Fat Mike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 10:13 AM   #7
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Here is a picture of my buddy's panel, he did his camaro subframe straight and this how low he got his with spindles & airbags. Only problem is that his oilpan is about 1/4" from the asphalt when he is deflated. Another friend did his camaro with the whole subframe and his fender & front bumper almost touches the ground but has the same oilpan issues. They both look AWESOME although if they blow a bag or line their oil pans are done.

I went a completely different route years ago. I have ESTIMATED that when my front X-crossmember is 1-1/2" from the ground my fenderside and door rocker will be slightly touching, and my oil pan will be about 3-1/2" from the ground. This picture was taken before we notched the rear.
Just a few things to consider instead of getting frustrated later.

My F.B. project page.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:53 AM   #8
duceducenine

any pics with the body on frame?
looking to do the same thing on my burb
duceducenine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-19-2012, 01:56 PM   #9
made2drag

ttt for more input
made2drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 05:06 PM   #10
made2drag

any one have any more info on body drops?
made2drag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:00 PM   #11
Ferrofil

Your friends panel looks great, nice paintjob!
Posted via Mobile Device
Ferrofil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2013, 06:24 PM   #12
mr48chev

I always thought that the concept of running a subframe was to get the truck (vehicle) down to the ride height you wanted to end up with by installing the subframe so it sat that way with the stock springs in it. I've subframed both my 48 and my 51 Merc that way and they sat low and drove great.

On yours if you let the air out of the bags and the rockers hit the ground that is as low as you can possibly go without digging a trench around the truck. To install the subframe too low to get the truck to sit where you want it to and then cut the body apart and drop it down over the floorboards (that is what channeling or "body drop" is) doesn't make a lot of sense in the long run.

My ongoing truck projects:
48 Chev 3100 that will run a 292 Six.
71 GMC 2500 that is getting a Cad 500 transplant.
77 C 30 dualie, 454, 4 speed with a 10 foot flatbed and hoist. It does the heavy work and hauls the projects around.
mr48chev is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2013, 07:43 AM   #13
fabguy
Elev8r Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by made2drag View Post
any one have any more info on body drops?
Well, by lowering the cab mounts you will gain about a 1/2" then channeling the body to drop it you will possibly gain up to another inch before you have to modify the seating height and possibly the brackets. If you are planning a subframe graft, which are you planning?

Example 1 : To lay rockers use a C10 graft in the front then install a Porterbuilt crossmember with A arms then air bag it. Your only issue then is finding the correct dropped height (aired out) as the rockers will be on to the ground with travel still left in the suspension. Also remember to use modular spindles as it will bring in your track width, and ask Nate at PB to build the A arms narrowed.

Example 2: call Nate at Porterbuilt and ask him about his new 55-59 drop member that he just ce out with.

Example 3: if using a Camaro donor front clip, do not match up the frame height wise. Cut and lay your frame on top of the sub frame section that mounts under the Camaro cab, as this mimics the lowering of your frame by about 2-3" out of the gate.
Example 4: Go with corvette C4 suspension and a flat out engineering or progressive front crossmember and notch it another 2" on the bottom side to raise it in the frame rails (lower the suspension ) and air bag that.

All these are just ideas to help avoid body dropping your cab, laying rockers on the ground, and I believe attaining the look you want.
Just my 2 cents, hope these ideas help.
Posted via Mobile Device

My F.B. project page.
Old 07-31-2013, 07:47 AM   #14
fabguy
Elev8r Man

For an idea on the look of a C10 front grafted clip onto a 58 frame. Look at my build thread and you'll see that I have te front bumper about 5/8" off the ground. I chose not to section the rear as I wanted a stock looking bed, so the truck sits raked only because of that. If it were level and the rockers touching, then it would in turn bring up the front bumper as it sits higher than the rockers do inherently.
Posted via Mobile Device

My F.B. project page.