The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2010, 06:16 PM   #1
Robert8096

Angry Rear end question

I just pulled the rearend from under my 1986 1/2 ton shortbed beause someone broke the bolt that holds the carrier pin in the ring and gear unit and I cannot remove the pin to remove the axles to service the wheel bearings and seals.

I have a 1978 1/2 ton longbed chevy parts truck and I am wondering if the rearend will fit in my 86.

Thanks
Robert
Robert8096 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 07:16 PM   #2
menace121978

Re: Rear end question

yes it will. the only thing you should check before you swap is the size of the pinion yoke where the u-joint bolts up. you may need to get a different u-joint from napa. i did this swap years ago but the other way around(86 rear into my 78) and i remember everything going perfectly until the driveline wouldn't hook up. went down to napa and they gave me a conversion type u-joint.

1978 Silverado (2wd, 1/2 ton, short bed)complete nut & bolt frame off restomod LQ9/4L80E
MY LS SWAP/FRAME OFF BUILD BOOK

2006 TBSS way too much to list
menace121978 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:27 PM   #3
87chevy.com
BMW & ASE Master Certified

its common for the center pin bolt to break. its no big deal, just back it out with a pic.. throw some good penetrating oil and back it out. Mine was broken and came right out with a pocket screwdriver.
clint

New project: 2006 BMW x5 6cyl AWD to L83 6l80e 4wd to 2WD / RWD

A poor man buy's it twice

finally got my domain name back, 87chevy.com.... site rework in progress
87chevy.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:21 AM   #4
Robert8096

Quote:
Originally Posted by 87chevy.com View Post
its common for the center pin bolt to break. its no big deal, just back it out with a pic.. throw some good penetrating oil and back it out. Mine was broken and came right out with a pocket screwdriver.
clint
Tried that but mine was not going to give up that easy and due to the angle I could not get a drill bit in there so I went yesterday and pulled the rear out of my parts truck. The differences I see was that the one in the 78 was a 12 bolt and the one in the 86 is a 10 plus the routing of the e-brake cables. The78 has the cable running down each side and connecting up under the cab where the 86 has the right cable coming across the rearend and connecting just before the left gas tank. I need to remove the 86 e-brake cables and modify the e-bracket and the diff cover to mount the right e-brake cable.

I was checking junk yards on-line and there is a few within driving distance that have a rear with 3.73 gears and I may call and go look because that is the ratio I would really like to put back under the truck.

Thanks Menance I will measure that when I get home this afternnon.

One more question; What is the best way to remove the bushings from the springs and shackles?
Old 11-15-2010, 09:24 AM   #5
James McClure
One shot, one kill.

As 87 said, the broken center pin bolt will back right out with a pic. The reason it breaks off is the lower bore the pin rides in is a little to large and the pin flexes under lateral loads and because it is a hardened bolt it snaps. There is no danger of the spider pin comming out if the bolt is broken as the head of the bolt is threaded and tight. There is no real good way to prevent future breakage except to use a larger bolt from a heavier rear and modify the carrier to accept it. jim
1984 K20 350M engine with 465,000 miles. Well, it's finally done!! Almost 2 years of work, but it was really worth the effort. Little stuff left to do is mount winch, wet sand & buff out and build belly pan\running boards. Body work takes lots and LOTS of beer!!!! God, Guts and Guns made America and God, Guts and Guns will preserve it! The worst thing you could do is get into my sights, but that don't matter, you'll never know it, cause you'll never hear the shotJim or Paladin whichever you choose.
James McClure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:01 AM   #6
Robert8096

I picked at it for about two hours Saturday and I did not get it move. I am almost sure the previous owner had been in there because they used silicone for the gasket and the head of the bolt was no where to be found. I really was not wanting to have to remove the rearend from the parts truck because I hate to lay in the dirt to work on things. I'm getting to old for that kind of action.