The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-13-2010, 10:59 PM   #1
knightowl73
TUKE-NoBullChit Customs owner

dash light/ground problem-HELP!

ok ive had this problem before, and took the dash apart and thought i had fixed this but its back.

only happens when i turn on my headlights and its completely intermittent. sometimes i can turn them on and everything is normal, and when it isnt, i wait awhile, keep driving around hitting bumps or sometimes just tap the guages and it all goes back normal.

i turn on the swithch and my guage lights dont work, but my turn signal indicators stay lit all the time. all my guages except the clock and the seedo of course quit working, the door open buzzer quits working, the interior lights wnt come on when i open the door or try to turn them on thru the headlight switch, and i notice that even when i do try to make them come on thruogh my headlight switch, the cigarette lighter has no power.
anyone know which wire or wires i need to be checking. figured maybe all this info would narrow it down a bit maybe
OWNER @ NBC Customs...No Bull Chit....'92 GMC C2500 ECSB 350/TH400, '57 FORD SKYLINER (My dad's for now, but its really mine-you'll NEVER see a cooler car at 7 years old lol), '42 ford rat rod shop truck (new project), 91 CHRYSLER VOYER MINIVAN (shop van for now)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/nbc.customs

knightowl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:03 PM   #2
vtwinsport

Re: dash light/ground problem-HELP!

just a guess but maybe the headlight switch is going

76 Silverado, 2wd, long box, 350/th350, 3.42 posi, edelbrock performer 64cc heads, edelbrock 1405, 2101 intake, Hedman Headers, Comp Cam XE262
http://beerbreadbike.wordpress.com/
vtwinsport is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2010, 11:57 PM   #3
knightowl73
TUKE-NoBullChit Customs owner

hmm that isnt that hard to swap out right? do you know how to get the headlight switch out, the handle itself i mean?
OWNER @ NBC Customs...No Bull Chit....'92 GMC C2500 ECSB 350/TH400, '57 FORD SKYLINER (My dad's for now, but its really mine-you'll NEVER see a cooler car at 7 years old lol), '42 ford rat rod shop truck (new project), 91 CHRYSLER VOYER MINIVAN (shop van for now)

http://www.facebook.com/#!/nbc.customs

knightowl73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 12:06 AM   #4
pilotj

Light switch would be my guess too. Look for melted wires at the plug in too. To get the handle out, pull the light switch handle out till it stops then reach up under dash and push the button in (located on drivers side/left side of switch). Pull handle out while holding button in. Be sure to disconnect battery (lights will be stuck on)