The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2010, 01:49 AM   #1
Rusteeze64GB

freaky Friday

This past Friday I was entering the freeway. I got rear ended at a dead stop. In Az there are red/greens when entering the freeway. I am sitting behind a truck waiting my turn when, Bam!, a nissan Titan rear ends me. I was pissed. I had a straight body truck. I now have 2 dents on my cab, due to my bed getting pushed forward and my GMC tail gate is smashed along with the bed not sitting right. I am hoping to find another bed locally from someone that may have an extra, then finding the GMC tailgate. Unfortunatley, the person that rear ended me did not have insurance and at this point it is looking like I am screwed. i had liability insurance on my truck, I will be able to get a DPS report in 10-15 days. The Highway patrol man laughed because the Nissan Titan was smashed up bad and was leaking everywhere. I was probably hit at about 45 mph, I hit my head on the metal cab. Lucky, I had a small glass and not a Big glass. I had a headache all day but was not sore the next day. Probably from all the yoga I do. Anyways, if there are any locals here in AZ that have an extra fleet long bed laying around that they may want to part with let me know. See the pics
Attached Images

Rusteeze64GB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 01:58 AM   #2
custom63

Re: freaky Friday

Thats suck mans. Glad to hear that you are okay though. My '63 has the same cab hit marks as yours from a rearending years ago. Best of luck finding some replacement sheet metal. Craigslist and swapmeets here you come!

The difference between genius and stupidity is that genius has its limits
-- Albert Einstein

63 build Thread
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=317341
custom63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:05 AM   #3
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

Sorry to hear of your bad luck. I'm not seeing where you need to replace the entire bed. From what I can see the bedsides look fine. Just loosen up the bed mounting bolts, adjust the bed and tighten back down. Then you'll need a new tailgate of course.

I would consider taking the guy that hit you to court. It's not your fault he hit you, nor that he didn't have insurance to pay for repairing your truck.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 02:40 AM   #4
Delmo

Noooooooooooooooooooo
Posted via Mobile Device
Delmo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:15 AM   #5
collins10672

if he hit you running about 45 mph and thats all the damage it done i would say you are lucky.glad you were not seriously hurt except for headache.if you had a rear bumper on it would have taken most of the impact.thats what i like about the old model trucks,thick gauge sheetmetal.
collins10672 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 09:09 AM   #6
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

Well glad your ok, except for the headache. In regards to your head, something to think about: I have thought about using Velcro to attach an upholstered pad to the cab as a sort of fixed headrest. I would use one of those small seats like you see on Harley fenders for passengers.

In regards to your truck... that really pisses me off! The cop should have pistol whipped the dude, arrested him and sold his damn truck and given you the money! I am sick and tired of us law abiding citizens getting the shaft by people that play the game and skirt the rules! I mean freakin Titans were introduced in 2003, hell the truck can't be more than 7 years old and the guy doesn't have insurance? Did the guy have a drivers license.... and no insurance?
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
Clyde65
1965 Chevy C10, 2005 4.8L/4l60

absolutely nothing happens to those people other than a ticket/fine, then ur left with the repair bill, if you had uninsured/underinsured then your insurance will cover it.

Rebuild of Clyde
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post8338184

69 Aristocrat Lo Liner build
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...84#post7561684

support our troops!
Clyde65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 03:42 PM   #8
raycow

You could sue. This type of situation must come up a lot if the state allows you to register a vehicle without having liability insurance.

Ray

Last edited by raycow; 11-15-2010 at 03:43 PM.
raycow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:01 PM   #9
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

I’m confused. If it’s against the law to operate a motor vehicle without insurance, and an uninsured motorist is the cause of a wreck, why aren’t they arrested and their car confiscated like they do with drug busts. I would think people would be less inclined to drive without insurance if they knew without exception they would permanently lose their vehicle it they got caught.

And yes, the last time I was rear ended it was also by a guy without insurance. Same situation – a stop and go signal controlled freeway on ramp. As I sat waiting for the light the guy behind just drove into my car.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 04:14 PM   #10
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

And to add insult to injury we, the insured, have to pay extra $$ for "uninsured motorist coverage".

Looks like the insane are now running the asylum.

Driving is a privledge, not a right. I agree with Mark, confiscate their cars on the spot, put them in jail and sell the car.

Last edited by lakeroadster; 11-15-2010 at 04:14 PM.
lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:14 PM   #11
Rusteeze64GB

Thanks for the support guys, I am mad because I have worked hard on my truck and all I want is it to be fixed. I did not have injury and am not thretening to sue just want my property fixed. The one thing that gets me is now my truck is tainted.
Old 11-15-2010, 05:23 PM   #12
jbgroby

In Louisiana we too have an option for "Uninsured Motorist", AND I pay for that. However, LA. is a "Required Insurance" state. Which I always though as goofy to pay for something while NOT requiring other states to require it.

My painter was hit headon and the guy although had insurance (min., coverage) and lives in an apt. so he has no assets to lean. THAT IS the problem.
jbgroby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:24 PM   #13
djinva

I work for an insurance company and in Virginia you are required to carry uninsured motorist coverage so even if you only have liability coverage your um would take care of your damage since he was uninsured. I know not all states require um coverage, but you should check and see if you have um coverage.
12 Ultra Classic
71 Vega Wagon V8 4 speed
djinva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 05:24 PM   #14
jocko

Rusteeze, I know how you feel. I had a 57 Bel Air that got T-boned. And to add insult to injury, it happened THREE WEEKS AFTER I GOT THE NEW PAINT JOB ON IT! While I DO know what you mean about feeling it is tainted... rest assured that once you do fix it that it will be even more important to you than it was - it will then become "special" like a dog that broke its leg and is all healed up running by your side again. Anyway, not sure that helps, but it will make a good sea story some day - so very glad you were not hurt. Agree with Capt's comment - the bed sides look pretty good, seems that bed could be saved! But then again, I can't see it all in the pics, so only hoping that is the case. Good luck my friend - again, very sorry to hear about that. And I agree with the others that non-insured motorists should be shot. Ok, maybe just beaten, but you know what I mean....

Last edited by jocko; 11-15-2010 at 05:26 PM.
jocko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 11:43 PM   #15
protrash64
Resistance is Futile

Sorry to hear it.......I just got rearended a few weeks ago by a silver Nissan Titan at 6:30am on a Sunday morning. It was in my S-Blazer and just dented the bumper. I got hit square. Same thing though, red light!!! People are staring at their damn phones all the time.
STRENGTH/DETERMINATION/MERCILESS/FOREVER
.......posted via stationary device
protrash64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:29 AM   #16
iiizman

Boy I like Texas-Here if there is a wreck and driver has no insurance and license-car is towed and they go to jail. It is not just a ticket-it is a higher charge. Nice truck wish i had an Arizona cab, cause mine definitely got some rust

Last edited by iiizman; 11-16-2010 at 12:31 AM.
iiizman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 12:31 AM   #17
Youngbuck7072

i would get out and smack 'em up, ruinin a classic....
................(O)..........(O)
Youngbuck7072 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 01:42 AM   #18
Captainfab
60-66 Nut

I'm not the sue-happy type by any means, but when someone f's up your property and they don't have insurance to fix it, that's when you take advantage of the laws available and take him to court. Small claims courts usually doesn't cost much to get started, and when you win the case, the defendant will have to reimburse you for your court costs. And I can't see an judge not awarding you a claim against this jerk. It may take some time to get paid for a judgement against him, but at least you can get your truck fixed at his expense.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rusteeze64GB View Post
I did not have injury and am not thretening to sue just want my property fixed.
Hydroboost Mounting Plates HERE
Captainfab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:44 AM   #19
oldblu65

Several years ago , as I sat in the student pick - up line at my daughter's school in my ' 65 C10 , a lady drove up behind me and failed to stop before hitting me ! She was driving a nice 1978 Nova . As we get out to examine the damage , she was very apologetic and kept saying how sorry she was . I looked over the back of my truck and could only find a small scratch on my painted bumper . Then looking at her Nova , my bumper smashed both headlights and totaled the grille ! I told her to forget it but you could tell she was nervous about the damage she had done to her car . I think she was thinking about sharing " her day " with her husband !
oldblu65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:49 AM   #20
Rusteeze64GB

I think if I would have had a rear bumper I might not have sustained the damage. I would feel better because I would not have to worry about finding a GMC tailgate. I am expecting to have to fix this myself. So, I am alredy researching my options. I will be contacting the other driver once the report is ready. If it does turn into a pissing match we are probably going to court....