The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-15-2010, 11:19 AM   #1
Chevorton

Suspension Kit?

Hello everyone, I need some new shocks for my 1970 Chevy, I have decided if I am going to lower my truck now may be the time while I am buying the shocks, I think I want to lower it 3" in the front 4" in the back, I can't go too low because I do drive the the occasional dirt road when I go dirt biking (good excuse to get the truck ).

So my question is, where is a good place to get a Lowering Suspension Kit?

Please let me know.

Thanks,

1970 Chevy SWB
Chevorton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2010, 12:22 PM   #2
N2TRUX
Happy to be here

Re: Suspension Kit?

Take a look in the forums "Vendor Marketplace" for some great deals. Our forum Vendors are running specials each month.

Articles-

"Jake" the 84 to 74 crewcab

"Elwood" the77_Remix

85 GMC Sierra "Scarlett"

"Refining Sierra"
N2TRUX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:20 AM   #3
GMCPaul

We curr4ently have our custom made in the USA lowering springs on sale for $95.00pr on the following page of our web site.
http://www.gmcpauls.com/SALE_SPECIALS.htm
They are all custom made here in the USA, our lowering springs are engineered then custom wound and tempered to the specific truck they are purchased for based on ton rating, wheelbase, motor & transmission size, bed style and if truck has A/C or not as these all affect proper spring rating due to changes in weight which we found is better than just pulling a set of lowering springs off the shelf and the same springs shipped to a 6cylinder short wheelbase truck as are shipped to a V8big block long wheelbase as the other companies do. They are individually wound and tempered then checked to make sure that in the tempering process that they are a calibrated matched set for height & spring rate.
In regards to shocks we carry the KYB Gas-A-Just or KYB GR2, most vendors go with the GR2, we prefer the KYB Gas-A-Just as the GR2 has a slighty soft valving in our opinion, the Gas-A-Just are $10.00more but definately worth it in our opinion for ride quality.
You will find our shocks here on the web site
http://www.gmcpauls.com/lowering_springs_&_parts.htm
If you lower the truck 4" or more in the rear we recommend a rear shock relocator kit to optimize the ride quality because at 4" or more lowering in the rear it causes the shock to become more horizontial limiting the effect they have on vertical travel which is what a shock is designed to dampen on a vehicle, by using the rear shock relocator it repositions the mounting point of the shock placing it back in the vertical position for improved shock dampening.
GMCPaul Jr
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 08:30 AM   #4
GMCPaul

By the way you mentioned using 3" front lowering spring, the 3" springs when installed and the truck is jacked up the spring can become loose in the spring pocket of the a-arms due to the shorter length if the truck is not jacked up under the lower a-arm, the truck using springs in the front to lower it will be more prone to bump steer the more you lower it with a spring, if you use a spindle to lower it it will not make bump steer worse like the lowering springs do. Also check your upper a-arm studs where the alignment shims go because you will need to use ALOT of shims to get the truck in alignment with a 3" front springs and in some cases the upper a-arm studs are not long enough for the number of shims needed to align the truck and then in order to get it aligned you will need off-set upper ball joints which we've been told average $80.00-$120.00ea
With a 1"or 2" front drop spring the truck always has enough stud for alignment, they never become loose in spring pocket when jacking the truck in front. So you may want to consider a 2"frt-4"rear drop or 2"frt&3"rear or using a combination of springs & lowering spindles in the front.
GMCPaul Jr
GMCPaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 11:51 AM   #5
ChevLoRay
Old Skool Club

In my opinion, to go 3-inches lower up front would be better and safer if done with spindles (2.5 inches) and a 1-inch lowering spring. It's more money than springs-only, but GMCPaul is giving you some good advice. Ditto for the rear on the shock relocator AND an adjustable track bar....to keep the rear end centered under the chassis.

Doing the spindles also begats a conversion from drums to discs.

I guess my bottom line is do it right the first time and you don't have to do it over. How you define "right" for your case may well be different than how I define it.

Be careful...stay safe.

'96 GMC Sportside; 4.3/SLT - Daily driven....constantly needs washed.

'69 C-10 SWB; 350/TH400 - in limbo

The older I get, the better I was.
ChevLoRay is offline   Reply With Quote