The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-16-2010, 08:45 AM   #1
72farmer

Oldair needs to be more in depth on there instructions!

I was trying to install my conderser yesterday and the instructions said to run the 2 lines hard lines from drier and condenser through the 1 1/4" hole in the radiator support under the drier.Well guess what my 67 did not have the hole and the instructions did not have a revision or templete for the hole.Good thing i had my 72 sitting there to measure before drilling hole otherwise it would have been a shot in the dark.Now i will be calling them to find out where the pressure switch goes the instructions says in conderser tube but i can't find the port.A note in the switch pack says it can be screwed into the drier but the fittings that came with the switch does not look correct.
72farmer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 09:06 AM   #2
kevmic28

Re: Oldair needs to be more in depth on there instructions!

I had the same issues with vintage air when I put mine on last month. It would be nice if they provided a step by step with photos, pdf file online. Also it would be nice if they changed their directions to keep up with the upgrades they do.
Old 11-16-2010, 11:08 AM   #3
68gmsee

Location: Centrally located between Houston, Austin and Waco. BCS area.

Thanks for info. Writing proper, step by step instructions can improve the companies image. Sloppy ones can do just the opposite regardless of how good their products are.

Some companies rely on less technical employees to write instructions and techs or engineers that do write them are not the best writers. I worked for a company that would actually bring in field techs to write and actually do the work before sending the product out. Even then, there were errors.
68gmsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 02:37 PM   #4
dznucks

I had the same issues with a Classic Auto Air kit. The instructions were more of guidelines, than anything else. They sent the wrong connectors for their billet control unit, left hardware out of the kit, and some of the hardware could not work in the locations the instructions said to use it.

Every one of the companies are the same. You're going to have to use a little ingenuity to get it just the way you want it.

Last edited by dznucks; 11-16-2010 at 02:37 PM.
dznucks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2010, 05:50 PM   #5
72farmer

Another problem today.Mounted compressor to engine, drivers side. long waterpump looks terrible sitting up higher than the fan shroud and air filter.The original chrome altenator bracket on engine will not fit after compressor bracket is mounted.Upper radiator hose will have to be custom made and a swivel goose neck installed.I would have to get a double grove pulley on waterpump to get belt to drive compressor.I now need to get a different bracket to lower compressor.I call Oldair they said call dealer that i bought the unit from .I called them they want to charge me $73 plus shipping with no credit back if i send the original wrong bracket back to them.Let me recommend if you are going to buy a oldair unit do not go through a dealer order it straight from Oldair.On Oct. 29th. a hour after i ordered my unit i thought i wanted to upgrade to chrome compressor called dealer back they said no problem but they want $100 for the upgrade.I call Oldair they get $25 for the chrome upgrade.What a rip off.
72farmer is offline   Reply With Quote