The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-18-2010, 04:46 PM   #1
70stroker

heater help

Guys i have a 86 chevy 4x4 shortbed. Its starting to get colder down here and I think about now is a good time to start figuring this all out. the heater gets warm but the blower doesnt seem to be putting out much.

You can hear the blower motor step up its speed with each and every selection you go up on the speed, But you cant really feel much of a difference in flow from the low up to high.

Now this truck did sit for about a year before i got it. So it could be something in the ducting, such as a nest or insulation, but im not 100% sure. If you guys think this also can anyone tell me the best way to go about taking the ducting out and installing it to make sure it all works again. Pictures would be helpful alos.

Thanks
70stroker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 04:55 PM   #2
HOGDADDY

Re: heater help

Do you feel it blowing any from the lower heater vent just above the tranny hump in floor?

The heater doors are all vacuum operated are you sure you have vaccum from the round ball on driver's side under hood?

I recently rebuilt my heater box with new core and cleaned it up. It now heats too good. I didn't take any pics sorry.

Actually I rebuilt the whole ac/heat system put a newer cab on frame cause tree fell on old cab.

Last edited by HOGDADDY; 11-18-2010 at 04:59 PM.
HOGDADDY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 05:15 PM   #3
70stroker

were exactly is the ball? Or better yet where under the dash can i check for vacuum (in other words where does the line coming from this ball attach to under the dash) Should i have engine vacuum at this line?

thanks
Old 11-18-2010, 06:56 PM   #4
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

do you have air conditioning? if its a non ac from factory there is a heater door that is moved via cable that could be not closing all the way

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 07:02 PM   #5
HOGDADDY

Quote:
Originally Posted by 70stroker View Post
were exactly is the ball? Or better yet where under the dash can i check for vacuum (in other words where does the line coming from this ball attach to under the dash) Should i have engine vacuum at this line?

thanks
The Ball is a black plastic softball size thing under hood by driver's side firewall. Yes engine vacuum or do you not have ac like rusty said then it wouls be cable operated.

Last edited by HOGDADDY; 11-18-2010 at 07:03 PM.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:04 PM   #6
70stroker

no i dont have ac, but the box and the control unit do have ac options, so it came from the factory with ac but the previous owner removed the compressor and condenser.
Old 11-18-2010, 07:51 PM   #7
babyJay
Arrived on a Pale Horse

I thought the ball was for cruise control.....
babyJay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:31 PM   #8
85gmcguy
Plays with trucks

I don't have cruise but I do have the "ball". Maybe a vacuum reservoir?

My Dad's Old Truck
85gmcguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2010, 10:46 PM   #9
old Rusty C10
Robert Olson Transport

with the compressor and condensor removed it should operate off of vacuum. I would remove the glove box and with the fan on low motor running id go listen for any vacuum leaks .I would also check up by the selector switch too because its possible for it to dry rot or leak there too. I dont have any pics of an air conditioned box but you can prolly move the air door over so its fully open. IM not sure if there is any other threads on this subject

1951 International running on a squarebody chassis

"If a man's worth is judged by the people he associates himself with, then i am the richest man in the world knowing some of the fine people of this board"
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/a...t.php?f=25&a=9 (you can review the site rules here!)

PM Me for your vehicle/parts hauling needs in the North East US or see my Facebook page Robert Olson Transport

Live each day to the fullest.. you never know when fate is going to pull the rug out from under you...
I hate cancer!!
old Rusty C10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-19-2010, 12:29 AM   #10
70stroker

Alright guys heres what i found.

I do have the ball I can only see or feel one nipple on it and thats on the top. My question is if vacuum is supplied to this "ball" how does it help the vents with no outlet source?

I do not have vacuum at that ball, I tracked the vacuum line over the brake booster and right before the firewall curves back it connects to a switch, on the other side of this switch it has a electrical connector. what would this be for?

Third i did find a vacuum line going into the firewall by the ac heater box and it does have a vacuum source. Is this what runs the vents?

Last thing i did was put my head down by the brake pedal and watch the vent door move while i changed the selector location. With it on vent it blows out of the vent and very little to none at the bottom by the trans tunnel. With the selector on "heat" it blows very hard at the bottom by the trans tunnel. With it in defrost it still blows hard at the trans tunnel, also you dont see the door move while going from heat or vent to defrost. Whats this mean? I assume that door should move when going to defrost, and thats probably my issue but i dont know what the next step would be.

Thanks in advance
Old 11-19-2010, 12:40 AM   #11
HOGDADDY

Type in your info on your truck on this site. They have a good diagram showing heater box parts and all assosciated with it.

http://www.gmpartsgiant.com/

The heater box has 2 vacuum valves one opens for defrost I think maybe one hose came off or diaphragm is bad.

Last edited by HOGDADDY; 11-19-2010 at 12:53 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 01:07 AM   #12
70stroker

Alright guys i went and messed around with it a little more, what i found is a bunch of muddobbers nest in the ducting along with some insulation. Needless to say removing that improved the flow alot.

I also found out that the door that is suppose to move and block air flow to the floor and direct it up to the defrost is not moving, I can manually pull that door so it shuts off air flow to the floor and it pushes alot of air to the defrost.

Ill be honest and say defrost is my main concern, so if i have to i will wire that door so air always goes to the defrost, but if i can fix it to work like factory with your guys help then i will do that.

So what i found is i am not getting vacuum to the diaphram right above the gas pedal that controls the floor and defrost door. I tracked it down to the back of the selector panel along with about 5 other lines at the back of the control. My question is if the control panel will direct flow from the floor to the vents as it should with the move of the selector could i still possibly have a bad control selector panel?

or could that switch at the back of the panel be bad? Can it be replaced?

Where should i go next?

Thanks
Old 11-19-2010, 01:51 AM   #13
HOGDADDY

All the selector does is move a wheel to the correct port for vacuum kinda reminds me of a revolver gun and the temperature selector is cable controlled to open up the heat door I believe.

This company has the diaphragms available also.

http://www.oehq.com/index.cfm?index=yes

Last edited by HOGDADDY; 11-19-2010 at 01:58 AM.
Old 11-19-2010, 09:46 AM   #14
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

you may hear the rubber edge of the flap inside moving when it hits the end of it's movement(cable drivin)
how is the truck running any chance a vac leak?
if you want to check the floor/def flap you can ez with temp air line and blow or suck to move the flap,inside that flap it has three holes to allow a choice of some air always to go up or down, or all air up or all air down.
Attached Images

Last edited by motornut; 11-19-2010 at 09:47 AM.
motornut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 06:46 PM   #15
kenm78
Broken Down

Not trying to steal this thread. But so that I am understanding everything. The above pictured valve controls the threaded rod that has the white clip in the above picture right?

Next if that threaded rod moves all the way left and center for vent and floor but not all the way right for defrost, it tells me the valve is bad correct?

“It’s better to keep your mouth shut and let people wonder about your ignorance, than open your mouth and reveal all doubt”
kenm78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:20 PM   #16
qu1cks1lver56

that hose came off of mine, found it laying in the floor the other day.
qu1cks1lver56 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2010, 07:27 PM   #17
kenm78
Broken Down

Mine is still connected and I do have vacuum to mine.

“It’s better to keep your mouth shut and let people wonder about your ignorance, than open your mouth and reveal all doubt”
Old 11-21-2010, 01:13 AM   #18
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenm78 View Post
Not trying to steal this thread. But so that I am understanding everything. The above pictured valve controls the threaded rod that has the white clip in the above picture right?

Next if that threaded rod moves all the way left and center for vent and floor but not all the way right for defrost, it tells me the valve is bad correct?
the white clip(broken in pic) chooses ac front vents or floor/def then
the valve in pic chooses floor or def

these two pieces would be amost 3 feet apart

Last edited by motornut; 11-21-2010 at 01:14 AM.
Old 11-21-2010, 01:18 AM   #19
motornut
78K & 79C Jimmys

Quote:
Mine is still connected and I do have vacuum to mine.
maybe try moving the valve by blow or suck a temp line on it to see if the bellows in the valve is working or maybe the clip inside on the flap came loose
Old 11-21-2010, 04:19 PM   #20
kenm78
Broken Down

Ok, I pulled the front box off to reveal the door in the lower picture above. The small white piece that is bolted to the door is broken on mine. I will get that fixed and go from there. I was unaware there is anouther vacuum actuator behind the heater box.

Old 11-21-2010, 05:58 PM   #21
HOGDADDY

Classic parts sells that white piece btw I bought one and it worked fine.
Old 11-21-2010, 06:35 PM   #22
kenm78
Broken Down

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOGDADDY View Post
Classic parts sells that white piece btw I bought one and it worked fine.
Did the diverter clip come with the pin hole already drilled in it for the vacuum can bracket?

Old 11-21-2010, 06:57 PM   #23
kenm78
Broken Down

For $2.49 I bought 2 becouse shipping was 8 bucks!! Hopefully this will be the fix!

Old 11-22-2010, 12:42 AM   #24
HOGDADDY

Quote:
Did the diverter clip come with the pin hole already drilled in it for the vacuum can bracket?
Yes its drilled but from the pics Classic has of item it looks like it don't.
just a bad pic I guess.

Last edited by HOGDADDY; 11-22-2010 at 12:43 AM.
Old 11-23-2010, 06:23 PM   #25
kenm78
Broken Down

Got it fixed! The small white piece on the door flap above was broke and the cause of poor defrost. Thanks for the help.