The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-21-2010, 10:58 PM   #1
Dru

Dru's 86 longbed project

Didnt want to start a build thread, cause I dunno how fast this will go, but here is my 86 that was gave to me by a longtime friend.

I was looking for a 62-63 longbed, but these 73-87 years mean more to me anyhow, as they were what was drove when I was younger.

Am the 4th owner, I know the original owner, but the second owner was a close family friend of mine since growing up, till he passed some years back, and a relation of my friend, who gave me the truck.

It had seen some years of being used hard, and put away wet, while in my friends possession, but it has some sentimental value to me, and Im going to try and get it close to its old glory.

Started out he gave me the truck about a week and a half or so ago, and it had a tired oil crust encapsulated 305 in it. Not the original also. I decided it needed more power, and found a 454 with all of the accessories from a 77 still attached, for sale on Ebay, bought the motor for fairly cheap, but had to drive around 850 miles to get it.

Stuck the 454 in to check it out, an it ran bad, turned out it had got hot, and wasted two exhaust valves, and had a flat cam. Pulled it back out, and rebuilt it real quick, all new bearings, freeze plugs, timing chain, mild cam, and a set of fresh heads. The motor was already .030 over, and no real ring ledge, so I just put a light hone on the cylinders, and some new rings.

Painted the engine all together, and even some of the rubber hoses to mimic an industrial mass/assembly line look, I have a twin cylinder Onan genset that was close to the same color, that I want to mount in the bed. Is a GM Detriot diesel color.

Plans are to either put a Muncie 4 speed, or a Super T-10 behind the big block soon, as Ive almost already blew up the weaky Turbo350 in a few days. Also hope to swap put the rear end to a posi unit soon, the 2.73 isnt helping the breaking things too.

Then lower it some, I dunno if I may just tuck it down on the big tires a little bit, or go with different tires on those rims, or new rims and tires. I didnt like the big tires at first, but they are growing on me, and I used to drive a truck that was close to the same wheels and tires, so I kinda like it in that respect. Its sitting on small block springs in the front still.

Paint/bodywork will come this summer, I've been riding a motorcycle year round for over 6 years, and this will be my first winter for quite sometime with something heated, so even though I'd love to start on this part, it would be much more prudent to wait till spring/summer.

The air cleaner is filthy, cause I had cleaned up a tall small block air cleaner that I was hoping to tuck under the hood, but I need to cut a modify the base plate, to tuck it down over the carb better. it was just late night by the time I got to that part, and was ready to drive it home, so the dirty skinny big block filter was used for now.

Last edited by Dru; 11-21-2010 at 11:02 PM. Reason: typo
Dru is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2010, 11:32 PM   #2
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Re: Dru's 86 longbed project

Nice! You started just the way I would have--with the engine. I've seen a lot of nice vehicles with attention to everything but the engine.

"It takes a smart man to know when he's stupid." -- Barney Rubble

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430367
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:18 AM   #3
foamypirate

Holy cow! My twin!

I'm definitely going to keep my eye on this!

Just for fun, the twinner.

foamypirate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 01:59 AM   #4
BGRAFX
Account Suspended

What color code is that on the engine? There are a lot of ks guys on here let us know if ya need anything.
Posted via Mobile Device
BGRAFX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2010, 04:29 AM   #5
Dru

TheWhiteElephant, thank you. Im hoping this will be the last engine for awhile, I guess it was about the 8th or so engine the truck had. Ive been running oils high in ZDDP, and cam shield ZDDP additive to try and keep the cam in good shape during break in, but a slight mistake made by the same friend who gave me the truck, led to an over tightened lifter, so I may see if I can scrounge together enough cash to put a roller cam in it, and hope that the GM stamped long slot rockers clear stock valve covers. Its stressin me out a bit worryin about a flat lobe in my new engine, but it'll peg the 85mph speedo pretty easy. If only I could remember what I did with an old 70's gauge cluster I had.

foamypirate, thank you for the picture. I might actually hit you up for a picture of the tailgate if you don't mind also. I'm going to be making a few mods here and there, debating on shaving the tailgate handle, with a 90's model interior gate handle, and using the Blazer trim like others have done, but may keep it stock. The tailgate at the moment is off of another year. Even with a few slight mods here and there, I think I'll be going back with the stock paint job, your picture even helped with that, I had been kicking around the idea, but it sealed the deal.

BGRAFX, thats "Detroit Diesel Alpine green". I wanted something different, and a twin cylinder Onan generator inspired the color choice. Not only was the truck free, but the junk in the bed came free also, Ive got to get the bed cleared out, so I can get to mounting the generator, and hard plumbing it. I'm gonna pipe the exhaust down through the bed, to a small import muffler, and run the generator electric start to a switch in the cab. Its only about 22 inches tall, so it wont stick up too much, I just have to figure out a way to build a nice custom box around it, with storage, as I want it centered in the bed, behind the cab.

Speaking of needing anything, and I don't mean to go against the rules here, if I am, I'm sorry, please edit this out. But tracking down a manual pedal assembly is seeming to be a bit difficult, I would like to find one out of an 86-87 that was already set up for hydraulic, but I think I could make an older pedal setup that use the Z bar work also. I still have yet to start calling salvages around here, but if anyone happens to have any info on one, I would sure appreciate it.

Last edited by Dru; 11-22-2010 at 04:35 AM.
Old 12-13-2010, 12:37 AM   #6
Dru

Just thought I'd post some pics to update the thread, the rubber control arm bushings were pretty shot on my front end, and one finally let go, so I had to get to my front end swap before I planned to.

I installed a 1 ton crossmember for the greaseable control arm shafts, and added the extra bracing. I figured it would give me a more positive feeling front end, and should last about forever, as long as I keep them greased.

Was originally going to go with 8-5 lug conversion dropped spindles, but this 1 ton front had Belltech dropped spindles on it already, so Im just going to get some 3/4 ton 8 lug rotors, and change out the rear to 8 lug. The rear needed upgraded to a posi anyhow. I figure some 8 lug 20's might not look bad.

For some reason my drivers tire is closer to my fender lip, than my passenger side, the truck has never been hit, the body mounts are still in place, and I certainly didn't get the crossmember crooked, I'm not quite sure whats going on there. Also didn't think of measuring that beforehand.

Old 12-13-2010, 01:25 AM   #7
nbpro
Account Suspended

nice looking project got to give some love to da longbeds
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 07:17 PM   #8
Meatman

Looks like a fun project! Your not to far away.
My 01 TA and 88 Formula hide in the garage. :-)
Meatman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2010, 01:22 AM   #9
TheWhiteElephant
God is good!

Looking good. As far as your tire spacing issues go, are both front wheels identical--meaning do they have the same backspacing?

"It takes a smart man to know when he's stupid." -- Barney Rubble

My build thread: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=430367
TheWhiteElephant is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-15-2010, 06:07 PM   #10
Dru

Thanks guys.

nbpro, lol there was actually a time when I said I'd never own a longbed, but they have grown on me, and I originally wanted a work truck, something I could haul 10 ft. sheets of drywall in, without supports. Its turning into a bit more of a hot rod, than a work truck though, lol. I've got to flip that rear as soon as I find a good 8 lug posi, and have some money in my pocket, the sport rake I've got going on there is a bit much.

Meatman, yeah not too far away, I've actually never made it up to Topeka though, but I think it would be nicer to live there, than here in Wichita.

TheWhiteElephant, yeah they are matching wheels/tires. I'm really not sure whats up, but its certainly turning out to be a problem. There is about an inch difference, and the tire has pulled down my fender lip a couple times now. I could roll the fender lip up a bit, for clearance, but that's not the fix I'm looking for.

I'm not sure if A: my frame/body is crooked. B: The earlier crossmembers dont match up. C: Its a common problem with these trucks, like the lean. I may create a thread trying to see if more people have ran into the issue, as I dunno how many read this thread, and happen to have dealt with it.

I noticed the earlier crossmember didn't fit as tight on my frame, but figured as much as these frame flex, it wasn't something to worry about. What a mess.

Last edited by Dru; 12-15-2010 at 06:09 PM.
Old 12-16-2010, 12:10 AM   #11
chevy406

i know this is a little off topic but you are the first person i have heard of that spells dru like that becuase i spell my name like that, just kinda crazy ha but back to subject i, subscribing to this its looks like its gunna be good.
chevy406 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 01:03 AM   #12
nbpro
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dru View Post
Thanks guys.

nbpro, lol there was actually a time when I said I'd never own a longbed, but they have grown on me, and I originally wanted a work truck, something I could haul 10 ft. sheets of drywall in, without supports. Its turning into a bit more of a hot rod, than a work truck though, lol. I've got to flip that rear as soon as I find a good 8 lug posi, and have some money in my pocket, the sport rake I've got going on there is a bit much.

Yeah, most people lke the shortbeds better, including myself. But the longbed was the hand I was dealt, and that's the one I'm playing. There are some nice looking longbeds out there. And my truck at one time was a straight up work truck. But I've changed it a little, and have further plans. But, you have a nice project started here. Keep up the good work. I'll be watching out for this one.
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-17-2010, 04:04 AM   #13
Dru

chevy406, cool lol.

Thank you, nbpro.

I have spotted some newer Chevy 2500 8 bolt rear ends with disc brakes for fair prices recently, haven't had a chance to compare the width, but I cant imagine it being too far off. Would be nice to get rid of the drums.

Was thinking about going through and boxing the frame at some point, but I could have cut down the 1 ton CCD frame, and used it, kind of kicking myself for that. I needed mine to drive though, and shortening the frame, with unforeseen other mods needed while swapping it out, would have taken more than a weekend. Might have fixed my slight front tire issue though.

Just window shopping on the net, and came across these 20x9" wheels, dunno what backspacing they come in, so I still have check into that, but I hope I can get them to work, there aren't too many good 8 lugs. Will take sometime before I can afford them yet, and other parts to buy first.

Hopefully the next post, I'll have pics of a new rear end in there, flipped, with the 1 ton shock mounts on frame.