The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-23-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
TomPetty

Ideas I could use to make my 1971 4x4 chevy the ultimate truck

Im a college student that is restoring a 1971 Chevy 4x4 truck long bed. Im gonna use this truck to pull my 1972 Nova SS to the race track in the summer. Its gonna be my good truck, the one i take on special occasions. Im currently restoring it at college because im going to school for collison repair. I just want to make it have everything, a truck everyone in my area is amazed with because of all of its features. My 1972 Nova has been talked about for a couple years now by people in my area, but i want this truck to really show off my talents. I'm just looking for new ideas i haven't thought about... Any Suggestions?

This is what ive came up with so far

6.0 liter out of a 2001 and up chevy

60/40 seats out of a newer chevy truck, one with fold down center console, power heated seats

GPS built in, hidden, because i want everything to look stock

Keyless entry

Review mirror with outside tempature and compass

lights in the bed, hidden under the bed rails, so i can see if ive got everything before i leave the dragstrip at night

i don't want power windows because after working at a bodyshop since i was 16, ive seen alot of window power window regualors go out and don't like to change them and kind of expensive to buy

I wanna be different, i want to make it look completely stock, it would be a challenge to take anything new out of a new car and hide it with it working perfectly in the truck
TomPetty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:04 PM   #2
Zoomin
Man of Mini-Talents

Re: Ideas I could use to make my 1971 4x4 chevy the ultimate truck

ABS, backup camera, power tailgate.

Rethink power windows are these trucks. They're easy and cheap.

Keep us posted.
Posted via Mobile Device
Zoomin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:08 PM   #3
msgross

ultimate 4x4 huh....

dana60 front and 14bolt full floater rear...
nv4500 5 speed manual and NP205 transfer case...
or newer automatic...
heated seats
power 4 wheel disc brakes
power steering
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2010, 11:10 PM   #4
TomPetty

I love the idea of the backup camera, since most of the time im hookin up to the trailer by myself, ill look into power windows, it seem to me that like anything electric that is produced aftermarket doesn't last that long.
Old 11-23-2010, 11:23 PM   #5
TomPetty

This a picture of my truck. My dad drove it in high school when it was brand new, his boss owned it and let him drive it to school. i bought it off of his boss this year. i have the body work on the front clip done and in primer. i bought a rust free box with few dents in it for 150 bucks and a tail gate that was taken off a 70 chevy truck when it was brand new that is perfect
Attached Images

Old 11-24-2010, 12:06 AM   #6
Vintage Windmills
Vintage 4x4s

The most amazing thing I could think of is 4 wheel steering! Look for a salvage denali or 05 ish truck with 6.0 and 4WS, then you also have keyless, compass/temp mirror, seats, etc. all from one donor truck. The seats are pretty big though.

Also maybe an under hood air compressor for filling up your car tires.

Spent last night under a 2500hd 4x4 6.0/4l80e/w transfer case- forgot how long the whole setup is! Prepare for a short driveshaft if you would run that whole setup!
Vintage Windmills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 08:02 AM   #7
msgross

something like the idea above would be best suited for a body swap... then you get all the goodies in one package.... just put your truck body on it...
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2010, 10:59 AM   #8
mrein3

Every time a friend of mine and I have to pull something out of the lake, and I'm not talking a boat trailer at the ramp, we use his 2007 GMC. That thing has some kind of traction control on it that allows his fat, wide, low profile totally street tires to not spin. Ever.

If I hooked my 4x4 up to it (all stock for 1971 with no traction control, only posi) the first tire that started to lose grip would be half way to China if I didn't get off the gas.

GM has some kind of traction control in that '07. My friend just stays on the gas. He claims "a governor kicks in" when he pushes the go pedal down to the floor. I'm guessing the computer kicks in to limit the R's and the brakes start pulsing on the wheels that are trying to slip.

EVERY time we pull something nasty like a broken boat dock or a heavy boat lift out of the lake that thing amazes me.

Put that system in a 1971 4x4 to impress me. (Then tell me how you did it so I could too. )

The engine in the truck is nothing special. A standard 5.3 liter. I think what you'd need is the computer and the front and rear brakes.

Regarding the rear steering, another friend who plows for extra beer money in the winter picked up a tahoe with rear steering. He said that thing is amazing when you have tight plowing conditions like say at a town home complex. It would be REALLY cool if you could do traction control and rear steering.

In the same breath, if all you're doing is pulling a car in the summer I wouldn't bother with the 4x4. I'd get a 3/4-ton or 1-ton 2wd and build it right.
Center City, MN
mrein3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:33 PM   #9
TomPetty

Its gonna be hard to find a wrecked one with rear steering on copart... Im still looking
Old 12-13-2010, 11:10 PM   #10
70 shorty
Where's my beer?

I'd rethink the power windows too. I really like the kits that use the original crank handles in the original locations so visually you can't tell it has power windows. How about a power sliding rear window too?
'08 Tahoe LTZ 4x4 155K
70 shorty is offline   Reply With Quote