The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2010, 01:23 PM   #1
dyrt

body mount component order question

Howdy folks,

When i pulled my cab from the frame the mounts were so rotten that i could not even figure out how many components were involved, let alone the order they fell out of the frame since they broke in so many pieces. I purchased a new gmc pauls kit and the pieces are all quality, but i am not sure why i only have 2 washers that fit on the front bolts and i was hoping to get the cab back on the frame this weekend but he is not answering email until he reopens on monday......

Can anyone tell me if there is supposed to be a washer between the upper half of the body mount and the cab floor? It has always been my understanding that the halves of the mount went around the frame mount, the tube went through them, it was sandwiched by 2 washers, and one washer went against the body while the other washer was against the bolt head or the nut depending on how the bolt went through. I only have 2 washers that fit the larger front bolts, which had me thinking that perhaps the front mount didn't need a washer between the body and mount, but that would mean the tube has to crush and wear against sheet metal. Any ideas?
i looked at the lmc picture but it doesn't really spec where the washer sits.

Mike

Last edited by dyrt; 11-25-2010 at 01:26 PM. Reason: bad grammar.
dyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 07:47 PM   #2
JimKshortstep4x4

Re: body mount component order question

You will need a washer between the mount and the body as you surmised. The instructions that we had with new mounts was to use the existing washer, (which you don't have).

Here is a picture, (extra washer is a shim used to level the cab with the bed).

Jim
Attached Images

1971 Shortbox step side 4x4, 350 sbc, 3:07 rear end
1965 Impala SS 400 sbc, Muncie rock crusher
1966 Impala SS 396 bbc, TH 400
1969 El Camino, 350 sbc, TH 350
1971 Snowplow built on a Blazer frame
1972 GMC Short bed, stepside, TH 400, 427 BBC
JimKshortstep4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 08:04 PM   #3
squirel

here is the step by step install in the FAQ section

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=192342

My build page
http://67chev.shawwebspace.ca/
squirel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:40 PM   #4
dyrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by JimKshortstep4x4 View Post
You will need a washer between the mount and the body as you surmised. The instructions that we had with new mounts was to use the existing washer, (which you don't have).

Here is a picture, (extra washer is a shim used to level the cab with the bed).

Jim
thanks very much. i didn't get any instructions with the bushing set for whatever reason so i wasn't sure about the washer. the odd thing, like i said, is that i only received 2 washers with the right size hole but 8 washers total, which kind of confused me. maybe you were meant to reuse the factory washer and the other washers were supplied in case you needed to use them as shims on the back bolt. whatever, as long as i know that there is supposed to be a washer on both sides of the tubes i can get it done.

Quote:
Originally Posted by squirel View Post
here is the step by step install in the FAQ section

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=192342
thanks for posting this. i had already looked at it several times but i wasn't sure if it was a general or for these trucks. i just realized it listed for kit 7-101 which, upon searching, turned out to be for our trucks. golden.

while we are discussing this, does anyone know the original thickness of the front cab mount washer you are supposed to reuse? i'll just make one, but i have no idea what it looks like or how thick it should be.

Mike
Old 11-26-2010, 08:28 AM   #5
eagleuh1

Why the heck would you want toorder a kit that doesn't include the stuff thats normally all rusted and sometimes missing on these trucks. I doesn't make sense that they wouldn't include the washers. Just my opinion. I got to check mine now to see if it came with the washers. Thanks.
eagleuh1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 09:16 AM   #6
dyrt

Quote:
Originally Posted by eagleuh1 View Post
Why the heck would you want toorder a kit that doesn't include the stuff thats normally all rusted and sometimes missing on these trucks. I doesn't make sense that they wouldn't include the washers. Just my opinion. I got to check mine now to see if it came with the washers. Thanks.
i'm going to have to agree with you on that one. unless it is a factory specific body shim that was supplied in different sizes from the factory for body alignment and thus different from truck to truck, i think it should be. i think the kit should include all of these parts, but i guess that is how they keep costs down. as i said, it wouldn't be a problem for me as long as i knew what should be there since i can at least make my own, but my mounts were just gone, and i am not reusing my cab since rot took its toll badly on that and the frame mounts as well, which i fixed.

Mike
Old 11-26-2010, 06:24 PM   #7
dyrt

i just made my own washers and spacers. As it turns out, the newest pdf lcm catalog online list the rear upper washers and front "shim" as being 1/8" and i just assumed that the originals were 3" od, so i made myself those as well as a 3" washer that matches the thickness of the washers supplies with the kit. Now my cab is on the frame and next garage access i get i can start cutting sheetmetal!
Attached Images

Old 02-11-2013, 07:48 PM   #8
Coboyle04

what thickness is the first waher on the far left