The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1973 - 1987 Chevrolet & GMC Squarebody Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-25-2010, 10:09 PM   #1
lo72
Truck Junkie

Drop Experts

Ok put the 2.5 inch spindles and 2 in springs in and the left side is an inch lower. I checked to see if both springs are seated in the pockets and yep they are. Is there a left and right spring? New ball joints. Any ideas? 1985 C-10
lo72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:27 PM   #2
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Re: Drop Experts

The springs are not the same or the frame is bent, would be my guess.
No LH or RH springs. They're all the same.
Was the left side 1" lower before you started, or did you measure?

I wonder if the balljoints are different?

Convert to disc brakes.
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=444823

Last edited by lolife99; 11-25-2010 at 10:28 PM.
lolife99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
flamingbig10
6.0 powered square

did you measure your before height, have you checked your body bushings
I would measure in this area between the top of the control arms to the bottom of the cross member on both sides and see what you get

Last edited by flamingbig10; 11-25-2010 at 10:35 PM.
flamingbig10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-25-2010, 11:51 PM   #4
lo72
Truck Junkie

Smile Re: Drop Experts

I measured the height before and it was even on both sides. I'll measure the control arm to crossmember space tomorrow and check the ball joint space as well I'll recheck the passenger spring too! Thanks for your input. Greg
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2010, 12:55 AM   #5
3r!c84
Badass

Mine did that. Called the chevy lean. The front and back on mine the drivers side is 1 inch lower
Posted via Mobile Device

drop a gear and disappear!

1/4:13:90
3r!c84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 01:47 AM   #6
lilpoindexter

I'm in the middle of dropping my '78. Every corner was a different height, it's not noticeable by eye, only with a tape measure...it drives fine, though, no crashes or damage
lilpoindexter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:37 PM   #7
muthstryker

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3r!c84 View Post
Mine did that. Called the chevy lean. The front and back on mine the drivers side is 1 inch lower
Posted via Mobile Device
x2 Its actually a really big issue with alot of guys that drop their trucks. However I got lucky and dont have it!!

You can get spring spacers that will help this, I will look for the link.

Cant find the link but any spring spacer should work, The reason I was looking for a link is because they had a product video and all this other stuff. It was made by Belltech but any spring spacer should work just fine.

Last edited by muthstryker; 11-26-2010 at 02:41 PM.
muthstryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 02:59 PM   #8
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Belltech spring spacers,...
http://www.jegs.com/p/Bell-Tech/Bell...88996/10002/-1

Convert to disc brakes.

Last edited by lolife99; 11-26-2010 at 02:59 PM.
Old 11-26-2010, 03:09 PM   #9
muthstryker

Yep those are them, They had a video explaining the whole chevy lean thing. Cant find it though, Only reason I wanted to bring it up is my friend had the same problem after I lowered his truck. I told him what it was and how to fix it and when he was taking it to a mechanic about it the mechanic told him theres no such thing as the chevy lean, so my friend called a bunch of places and they all told him the same thing so he thought I messed up his truck....

I just emailed him a bunch of links for him to print out, then he saw I was right.
muthstryker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 07:46 PM   #10
nbpro
Account Suspended

found this on another website, I give full credit to the original poster s10cyncrvr.

A majority of trucks have a problem of the driver-side being lower then the passenger side. This has been called the "Chevy Lean." There are many threads on forum boards as to why this occurs and how to fix it. Often times the information is untrue and people get confused. I've done a lot of research on this topic and have came up with the following information...

1) Does your truck have the "chevy lean"?
Almost all trucks do. I have had some people tell me theirs dosn't but everyone I owned has. The lean isn't very noticeable when your truck is stock height, but after you drop it the distance between the tire and fender decreases and it becomes more apparent. The only way to know for sure is to measure from the ground to the highest spot on the fender lip at every corner. You'll probably find that your drivers side is approx. .5" to 1" lower then your passenger side. If it doesn't lean before you drop it, it shouldn't lean after you drop it. If it does lean before you drop it, then it will most likely lean after you drop it.

2) What causes "chevy lean"?
This I'm not 100% sure on. The best theory I have heard to date is that the lower control arm spring pockets were stamped differently. There are a lot of myths about what causes it which include: gas tank on the drivers side, your always sitting on the drivers side so the springs wear faster, you have bad shocks, or that it was caused by lowering components. These for the most part are all untrue. Although, always check to make sure your suspension components are in good condition. If your truck is older with high-mileage then it may be that your springs are worn on the drivers side. Put your new suspension components on and re-measure. Also, if someone has lowered it before you, make sure the springs are seated properly in the pockets.

3) How do I fix it.
The best way to fix it and level out your truck is to buy a spacer that Belltech sells. part # BEL-4930. Summit sells it along with numerous other companies. This is a 1/2" polyurethane spacer that sits on top of the driverside front coilspring. It will raise the driverside of the vehicle up 1/2" in the front and the rear will raise up some too. Usually this will be enough to level the truck or make it less noticeable. It can be tricky to get in so here are some tips.

- Leave the rubber isolater on the bottom of the coil spring and remove the rubber isolater from the top of the coil spring. This will allow the spacer to slip further down into the spring for better stability.
- Tape or ziptie the spacer to the top of the coil spring. It will want to move around when you try to install it so really get it tight on the coil spring.
- When you install the spring make sure it is seated properly on top. the spacer and the coil should both tuck up into the cup in the frame. Sometimes it feels like it pops into place but when you look it has shifted. Take your time, this is the hardest part of the installation. Using a coilspring compressor greatly helps the installation process.

I don't recommend cutting your passenger side coil to level it out. First, it will cause a different springrate between your two front springs and second, the inner fender is tighter on the passenger side beacuse of the AC box and you may run into issues with rubbing.

4) How do I know if I fixed it.
After installation remeasure your height at all 4 corners. If it lifted more then 1/2" on the drivers side, make sure you have the spring seated properly. Give the suspension a few days to settle and remeasure and compare the measurements to your previous ones. After the spacer install my driver's side is till 1/4" lower then my passenger side. This isn't very noticeable at all and should be nothing to worry about.

Hopefully that answers all your questions but if you still have something you are unsure about, post a new thread and someone will try to answer it.
nbpro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 08:26 PM   #11
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

I thought the "Chevy Lean" problem was only related to the '99-up trucks?

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 11-26-2010, 08:51 PM   #12
lo72
Truck Junkie

Guys thanks for the input. I took some meaurements tonight Drivers side crossmember to top of lower control arm is about 4.5 " rubber bumper to cross member is about 1/2". Passenger side crossmember to lower control arm is 4 7/8" rubber bumper to crossmember is 3/4" Another thing the coils on the DS spring are tighter just can slid my fingers in. the PS i can go in up to my knuckles. I think i have a weak spring. Thoughts I got the springs from CPPjeff
Old 11-26-2010, 09:10 PM   #13
lolife99
67-72 parts collector,…

Have you driven the truck any?
I always do my final measuring after I put a few miles on it.

Convert to disc brakes.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:12 PM   #14
lo72
Truck Junkie

I haven't driven it yet. But I did measure the rear it is dead on 16" to the floor both sides
Posted via Mobile Device
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-26-2010, 10:40 PM   #15
Trey765

I always thought it was the body bushings (mounts) were worn out.
Old 11-26-2010, 10:43 PM   #16
baclay9

I would definately drive it a litle before making any decisions sould like you are pretty close already though man. Got pics???
baclay9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-26-2010, 10:51 PM   #17
Trey765

I agree let it settle.
Old 11-27-2010, 01:26 PM   #18
lo72
Truck Junkie

Some Pics of the suspension. I agree there are some trucks tha droop on one side, but i would have noticed an inch. i'm thinking it is the spring on the left. Thoughts?
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2010, 01:33 PM   #19
lo72
Truck Junkie

A few more. I have learned one thing. I will not be doing be doing business with CPP again.Lesson Learned!
Attached Images

Old 11-27-2010, 05:19 PM   #20
SCOTI

Have you 'cycled' the suspension? After reassembly, I always lift the hood, grab it securely while standing on the bumper & try to bounce that sucker off the ground.

Of course you won't bounce it off the ground but it should be enough to adjust any abnormalities. Re-measure your suspect items. If they're still different, swap the coils from side to side & measure again. If the measurement changes sides, it's the coil. If it doesn't, it's the truck.
99CCSWB Driver
All Fleetsides
@rattlecankustoms in IG

Building a small, high rpm engine with the perfect bore, stroke and rod ratio is very impressive.
It's like a highly skilled Morrocan sword fighter with a Damascus Steel Scimitar.....

Cubic inches is like Indiana Jones with a cheap pistol.
SCOTI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-27-2010, 05:50 PM   #21
benoit454
Chris

I think you might want to tighten the adjuster sleeves and maybe grease the PS ball joints and tie rod before driving lol.

GIT R DONE!!!!!!

Check out all our rides,
http://www.cardomain.com/id/benwa454
benoit454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 06:16 PM   #22
lo72
Truck Junkie

Thanks to Scoti, lolife99, baclay9 and everyone else that offered solutions to my problem. I took scoti's advice and swapped springs side to side. I cleaned the pockets in the arms and reinstalled the springs making sure the were in the mounts top and bottom. then i lowered the truck and rocked the crap out of it. It now measures out at a 1/4 of an inch lower on the drivers side. i'll let it settle, while i try to get the toe in set and bleed out the brakes. A 1/4 of an inch i can live with! Thanks again for everyones help and opinions. Greg
Old 11-28-2010, 10:24 PM   #23
Trey765

Another thought it looks like you changed everything out tie rod, springs, and spindle. Did you change out the bushings in the A-arms? upper and lower? I had a 92 that I lowered right after I bought it new and it had no lean. I have helped several other friends of mine lower their square bodies some leaned and some didn't. For my 85 swb I bought all new poly bushings for my upper and lower a-arms and DJM 3" drop spindles and new 2" drop springs I just haven't put them together because I am waiting on my motor and transmission back in so the weight will be close before I snug up the a-arm bolts. I don't know if that will make a difference but it makes since that the driver side any part would be more worn.
Old 12-01-2010, 01:19 AM   #24
grim626

at least mines not the only one but its about an 1" lower on the passenger side front and back haven't remeasured since lowered but you can still see it

Last edited by grim626; 12-01-2010 at 01:21 AM.
grim626 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 01:41 AM   #25
bigblock73
yeller

I know you said you verified, but it sounds like the top of the spring wasn't seated correctly in the "cone" in the upper crossmember. You have to stick your head under and get an ants eye view to make sure it is seated properly.
bigblock73 is offline   Reply With Quote