The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-27-2010, 10:46 PM   #1
lpguy

2006 silverado seats in an ad

I took out the passenger seat in my silverado and gave it a test fit in the 54 tonight. I took some pics for other people to have ideas. Im pretty sure this is what im gonna use. Im thinking of using the using seats on reverse sides so the seatbelt retractor doesnt block the corner windows. Once both seats are in it looks like im gonna have anywhere from 5-7 inches in between the seats. Legroom is ok but im 6'2" and knew these trucks werent built for legroom. I also had a question about the upright brace on the rearside of the floorboard. Is is to keep thee floorboard rigid?Can i remove this and brace the floorboard underneath? I can gain a few inches if i could.

lpguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:01 AM   #2
Atomsplitter

Re: 2006 silverado seats in an ad

Nice seats!
Does it matter that you have the seat on the wrong side?
I've seen those seats at swap meets and liked the leather they use.
Can you post up a picture of the seat on the other side?
I always wondered what they would look like inside the cab.
Atomsplitter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 02:07 AM   #3
lpguy

reason i tried it liek that was due to the corner window.. with them in correctly the raised area for the seatbelts will block the corner window... I will take some pictures with it the other way tomorrow in daylight. I havnt stripped one of these seats apart but i may be able to move that part down a little bit and remove the headrest when i just want it to look cleaner.
Old 11-28-2010, 06:49 PM   #4
lpguy

heres a couple of more pictures

Old 11-28-2010, 10:55 PM   #5
Big Irish

I think it is going to look great . Anxious to hear about removoving that brace . thanks for the pics .I am in the same boat for space . I am 6.2 also . need every inch I can get .What gas tank did you use ?
1951 GMC Bagged and patina
Big Irish is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:23 PM   #6
lpguy

Right now the po has some big tank under the bed thats an eyesore.... im gonna be using a '70 mustang under the bed once i get to that point. Yah im hoping someone can chime in on that brace... i tried searching but not really sure what to search... I think i remember seeing some custom floorpans being produced that just added another brace along the underside of the floor but cant find the instructions...
Old 11-28-2010, 11:30 PM   #7
68GMCCustom
Truck and auto performance nut

won't you need to brace the floor area a little extra where the new seats bolt down...since those bolts will also be taking the force for the seat belts?

'68 GMC short step - NIB '09 LY6 6.0L crate motor w/mods, NIB '12 crate 4L85e w/billet 3k stall Circle D, 3.73 posi 12 bolt, DynaTech f-swap headers, 3/4 drop, handling mods, etc. - my toy
'72 Chevy LWB C-10 Highlander - 350/350 ps/pb/tilt/ac - not original but close
'06 Chevy TrailBlazerSS - LS2/4L70e - little black hot rod SUV - my DD
'18 Kia Sorento - wife's econo-driver
'95 Chevy S10 - reg cab shortbed, LS, 4.3, auto...

my '68's powertrain and chassis build -links broken
A surprise phase - carb to efi -links broken
68GMCCustom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 10:18 AM   #8
lpguy

yah i will use make some kind of reinforcement on the mounting if i do use this style of seats.
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-29-2010, 12:47 PM   #9
OrrieG

the brace is probrbly there to cross the cab/floor sides and add suppoert for the floor. if you remove it on the cab (top) side just add a piece of angle or square stock anext to the one on the under side. at the same time you can add some sq. plates for the seat belt load point. i uses Yukon seats in mine using the stock bolt locations. I figure if the wreck is bad enough to be shearing 8 seat bolts I have a much bigger problem to worry about!
Posted via Mobile Device
OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 01:08 PM   #10
Big Irish

OrrieG thanks for the info , these forums are a great help . How much legroom did you gain when you did the seat install / thanks again .
Old 11-29-2010, 02:22 PM   #11
MrDude_1

as far as the brace goes.... it is what keeps the cab floor stiff back there. it will flex without it.
you can easily brace under the cab, and THEN cut it out.
same goes for the orignal wrap around seat support. my floor didnt flex at all, but as soon as i started taking it out, (actually about halfway through me getting it out) i saw it would bend a little with my weight.
i put a small brace on the floor, and now its just as tight as it was before.
MrDude_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2010, 02:27 PM   #12
MrDude_1

another question...
if you were to push the seats out as far apart as possible, could you fit the center console/jump seat in there??
like this one:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/99-06...item20b567299a
Old 11-29-2010, 03:08 PM   #13
lpguy

thanks that's what i figured... The best i think i could do was 8 inches between the seats but then it felt like i would be leaning to the right to driver... at a comfortable position for me with both seats equal from doors it was about 5-6 inches.. I'm planning on doing bucket with custom centerconsole anyways. I'm gonna have to move around all the pedals also maybe aftermarket e brake.Anyone installed a lever brake before?
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 11-29-2010, 03:15 PM   #14
Big Irish

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDude_1 View Post
as far as the brace goes.... it is what keeps the cab floor stiff back there. it will flex without it.
you can easily brace under the cab, and THEN cut it out.
same goes for the orignal wrap around seat support. my floor didnt flex at all, but as soon as i started taking it out, (actually about halfway through me getting it out) i saw it would bend a little with my weight.
i put a small brace on the floor, and now its just as tight as it was before.
Can you give some more specifics of the braces etc. you did / Also did you gain some extra leg room doing this / thanks
Old 11-29-2010, 04:49 PM   #15
MrDude_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Irish View Post
Can you give some more specifics of the braces etc. you did / Also did you gain some extra leg room doing this / thanks
cant say i have much to tell you.. my cab is on a dolly right now, and ive never driven my truck. lol.
theres 2 braces for the seat.. the curved front brace that makes up the front lower part of the seat, and the straight back piece.
i dont really see any need to disturb the back piece... its obviously adding some stiffness to the cabs floorpan.
the front piece that needs to be removed for most seats, also adds some stifness... but i cut it out anyway.. i just welded a 1"x1" bar across where it was as a temporary brace. when i finish my floorpan repair, i plan to make a better brace under the cab.

how much leg room you get, depends on the seat you use. dont forget a taller seat will give more legroom, at the expense of headroom... so you can play with it until it fits you.. but a non-chopped top truck should be able to fit a 6'3" guy easily.. anyone taller then that is probably used to being cramped everywhere anyway.
Old 11-29-2010, 05:55 PM   #16
Big Irish

I have to tell all of you guys . I began my morning stressed about buying a truck that I thought I could not drive often . I bought a "shop truck" style truck to drive often . All your input has realy helped my stress level . very much appreciated . I look forward to more input ,and will start tonight on pulling the seat out and work towards , removing the tank as well .
Old 12-06-2010, 12:49 PM   #17
tmackg

The seat backs are pretty thick on those seats. You really need a seat with thin( 88-98 bench) back to gain as much leg room as possible.
tmackg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 01:33 PM   #18
lpguy

problem is i want integrated seatbelts if i ever get a break from work ill go by my parents house and borrow my mom's 3rd row seats out of a newer tahoe.. they have integregrated seatbelts and they should be thinner. May have to get them reshaped a little though they arent comfortable on long trips
Posted via Mobile Device
Old 12-06-2010, 02:13 PM   #19
tmackg

If you know a good upholstery shop they can thin and shape the silverado seat you have to gain the leg room you need.

Last edited by tmackg; 12-06-2010 at 02:14 PM.
tmackg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 04:08 PM   #20
OrrieG

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Irish View Post
OrrieG thanks for the info , these forums are a great help . How much legroom did you gain when you did the seat install / thanks again .
The Yukon third row seats are relatively thin compared to the front seats. The stock seat is 27.4" from firewall to the front of the seat. It is 12.8" from the bottom of the steering column to the back seat cushion. In the photo below you can see the front of my seat is 3" in front of the stock seat floor bolt location. You will need to measure the stock seat front to bolt location to compare it to mine. I have 16" from the bottom of the steering wheel to the seat back, stock is 12.8". I think I had it at the telescope mid point, so you could possible gain another couple of inches. For reference I am 5'6" and 160#.
Attached Images

OrrieG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-07-2010, 12:57 AM   #21
mr48chev

That may work for you Orrie but I think several of these guys including myself and I'm 5'9" now that I shrank and I couldn't get behind the wheel with that seat.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote