The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-28-2010, 11:28 AM   #1
72Mountaineer

The Truck Shop -CA

I just got a catalog from the Truck Shop in CA, lots of nice parts and very good prices, too. Anybody use their stuff, especially replacement panels? Good folks to deal with?
72Mountaineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 11:49 AM   #2
leddzepp

Re: The Truck Shop -CA

I use them all the time. They always have parts in stock as opposed to other vendors.

1968 C/10 50th Anniversary LWB. Unrestored, stock, daily driver/work truck.

RIP ElJay
RIP 67ChevyRedneck
RIP Grumpy Old Man
leddzepp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 12:24 PM   #3
msgross

they are a very large supplier... most body panels are created by one or two companies anyway. I would start with a board vendor and watch shipping costs.. I have purchased items from the truck shop, usually at Carlisle truck shows since shipping and tax are FREE... If you need large items i'd suggest coming out to the spring carlisle show...

Most of our board vendors will work a great deal with you if you ask, somethings are cheaper at the truck shop though, and some things "you get what you pay for".
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2010, 01:12 PM   #4
kaycee

I bought a underbed tank from them a coupla yrs ago,it was here in a copla days.No problem from my point
63 IMPALA 327
kaycee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 05:00 PM   #5
115-K10

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Mountaineer View Post
I just got a catalog from the Truck Shop in CA, lots of nice parts and very good prices, too. Anybody use their stuff, especially replacement panels? Good folks to deal with?
I placed an order with them and got to say they aren't that great to deal with. They can't tell you if something is out of stock so it's order at your own risk and see what shows up. I don't think they get things out the door very quickly either. Its been two weeks for my order to arrive and it's not here yet. Granted it's cal to ny but two weeks and counting? They charged my card right away so hopefully nothing is on back order. When I asked for a tracking # they said it's not their policy to give out that information. What's that all about? Oh well live and learn and use other vendors!
Posted via Mobile Device

1971 SS454 Monte http://www.hemmings.com/mus/stories/...feature14.html

1970 - Monte Carlo Convertible, LS6, L89, M22 Build
http://www.firstgenmc.com/ubbthreads...=360236&page=1

1970-SS454 Tripe Black - Barn Find
http://www.firstgenerationmontecarlo...=421201&page=1
115-K10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 07:28 PM   #6
72Mountaineer

Thanks for all the replies. The order I've compiled ranges from about 1100 to 1500 bucks as per different vendors. I've talked with all who I've considered (4) and definately some seem better than others. Being in an eastern region sometimes the extra "truck shipping" charges are enormous, while some are not. It seems as though the better prices are on the West Coast. I'd love to go to Carlisle, but with the price of gas and its a 4-hour one-way trip, plus a hotel stay, the extra charges to an order are justified. Is there a list of the vendors who support this board? Do they offer discounts to members?
Old 03-22-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
Tim Christian

Man Top Banana is not that far from you and also offers a board member discount. You can give Chris a ring in the morning at 10am 1-877-654-2287
Tim Christian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2011, 08:38 PM   #8
kalirodding
CLASSIX Truck Club

I've ordered some stuff from the Truck Shop. I can say that there Customer Service SUCKS. I will never order from them again. And when I did receive my parts, my order was short. When I called about it, they had total attitude because I was frustrated. Took forever to get the right parts. I will buy from them if they show up to the swap meets though, but never order again.
kalirodding is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 03:33 PM   #9
01spirit750

Also they are about 10 minutes from Disneyland. Everytime we go to Disneyland I drop in and pick up stuff. We drove down last time and I bought a bunch of stuff.

When you order online they call you back to advise what the shipping costs.
01spirit750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:28 PM   #10
Kabwe
Certified Car Nut

I buy from them all the time and I've never had a bad experience, but I do drive down and shop in person. They have pretty good prices and I can kill two birds with one stone because they sale car stuff also. I bought my bedside from them and had a lower price everybody else.
Kabwe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:50 PM   #11
Thadious

I've ordered from them in the past, and told them that I would never do it again. But my issue is of a different type. No problem getting the parts, but they refuse to ship other than UPS, so my $16 worth of parts ended up costing me $81 by the time I got it in my hands...

My 2 cents,
Ted.

Aut viam inveniam aut faciam - I will either find a way or make one.
If you don't have time to do it right the first time, when will you...

My new build - https://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/...70#post8958970
Thadious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 08:07 PM   #12
72Mountaineer

I called Top Banana (twice), answering machine said they would return my call, no return call yet. I checked out their website, it says a 601.00 order would need 208.00 shipping !!! Something wrong there, maybe I'll just pass.
Old 03-23-2011, 11:07 PM   #13
msgross

Quote:
Originally Posted by 72Mountaineer View Post
I called Top Banana (twice), answering machine said they would return my call, no return call yet. I checked out their website, it says a 601.00 order would need 208.00 shipping !!! Something wrong there, maybe I'll just pass.
don't write them off that fast... Tim and his guys are real truck guys that actually build, drive and bleed our trucks..

I'd give him a call again or send a PM..
1969 C-10 LWB (SOLD) "Project flip that truck or else"
1993 Passport, F@rd 1-ton (SOLD)"Project Cousin Eddie"

My Garage Build "The 1,000 footer"
msgross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 09:54 AM   #14
chevyrestoguy

I deal with them all the time, mostly over the counter because I live relatively close, and have had zero problems with them. Their prices are hard to beat.

My build threads:
'55 Chevy: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=247512

'64 C-20: http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=446527
chevyrestoguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2011, 04:08 PM   #15
poncho_villa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thadious View Post
I've ordered from them in the past, and told them that I would never do it again. But my issue is of a different type. No problem getting the parts, but they refuse to ship other than UPS, so my $16 worth of parts ended up costing me $81 by the time I got it in my hands...

My 2 cents,
Ted.
That is the exact reason I only buy from vendors that are willing to ship USPS. I avoid any vendors that ship UPS. I also have been screwed over, just not by The Truck Shop.

Just another 2 cents worth.
Old 03-24-2011, 06:19 PM   #16
wigadore

The whole problem lies around UPS being the broker to get your product over the border. Once the order is in their hands they can charge what they feel. I have even been screwed over when I specified my broker to do the paperwork and UPS ignored it. Now I ship everything to a holding company at the Alberta/US Border and pick it up myself and only have to pay GST. This has worked out better then a direct shipment...only issue now is the 6 hour drive there and back!

A lack of planning on your part...
...does not constitute and emergency on mine.
wigadore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 04:14 PM   #17
1952ssr

I've ordered from them with only 1 problem, it takes my stuff FOREVER to get to my door step. I think it's averaged 7 days on all my orders. But, as has been said they do have some good prices. So that's the trade-off. Did I mention I live in GEORGIA maybe that's why. LOL
1952ssr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 10:02 PM   #18
dsl30263

I agree- it takes them forever to get stuff to Georgia. I got parts from them at the Moultrie Swap Meet, and they had real good prices.
dsl30263 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2011, 11:33 PM   #19
59Mutt

they did not have anyone who could give me price ad availability right away and called me a half hour later. will call was a good way to get help right away and they are always busy. great prices!! shipping may suck but you cant have it all.
59Mutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 12:26 AM   #20
NW Task Force

Unhappy My experience

I made an online purchase from these guys about 2 weeks ago. I never got a tracking# to check my order status. I began to worry about my items and decided to call. Everytime I called, the line put me straight to an answering machine. I did not recieve a call back until several hours later. I ended up finally getting ahold of someone and was told that looking up conformation numbers was not possible???? The lady on the phone explained that she would get further assistance to find out about my order and have someone call me back. That never happened. At this point I was pretty frustrated with customer care. Oddly enough, a UPS guy showed up last night at my door with the package! Jeez, about time. The order was correct and the parts were what I expected. I consider myself lucky, if a billing problem might have occured, its scary to know that these people are so hard to get a hold of. I'll probably buy someplace else. I'll glady spend a few extra bucks on parts knowing I can get a assistance on the phone quickly if a problem arises.
Old 03-26-2011, 12:53 AM   #21
mr48chev

I guess the guys in the East are a bit spoiled as compared to our buds up in the big middle of Canada or a lot of guys out in the West in that a four hour one way trip to a major swap meet seems just too long a drive to do.
As Wigagore said, he makes a six hour trip down and across the border to pick up his parts and probably does it on a pretty regular basis.

We made the 3-1/2 hr one way trip to Portland last weekend for the roadster show and will do it again next weekend for the swap meet. No big deal we do that all the time and if I get the vibration out of my daily driver tomorrow we may go to Spokane on Sunday to the car show there. I guess I can't be very sympathetic to someone who sees a four hour road trip to a major swap meet as a huge issue when he has a serious shopping list to take along. We by the way do all of the above trips in one day with no motel stays . Not because I don't want to stay in a motel but because I can usually only take one day to go to an event right now. I work strange hours and my wife is in school.

Or contact one of the board vendors and ask of they can have parts dropshipped if the parts are made or supplied from the east coast as that might save some shipping.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2011, 10:54 AM   #22
72Mountaineer

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr48chev View Post
We made the 3-1/2 hr one way trip to Portland last weekend for the roadster show and will do it again next weekend for the swap meet. No big deal we do that all the time and if I get the vibration out of my daily driver tomorrow we may go to Spokane on Sunday to the car show there. I guess I can't be very sympathetic to someone who sees a four hour road trip to a major swap meet as a huge issue when he has a serious shopping list to take along. We by the way do all of the above trips in one day with no motel stays . Not because I don't want to stay in a motel but because I can usually only take one day to go to an event right now. I work strange hours and my wife is in school.
Taking a serious shopping list to a major swapmeet is what it is, just taking the list. Theres no guarantee that you can get the whole list of parts you need, as opposed to ordering your list and a company assuring you of your parts. Theres also no "we" in my journeys, just "me", no one to share the driving or expense, and an older person such as myself may find it difficult to put in an extremely long day. Save your sympathies, I posted looking for info on a parts company.