The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 11-29-2010, 01:08 AM   #1
GOPAPA

Total Disaster ,,Starting Over with help

My daughter and I attemped putting in my rear window glass and rubber gasket with chrome in it into my truck .

I warmed the gasket up by my wood stove
We put the gasket onto the window

We then put the Chrome into the groove in the gasket
Then I took vynol covered clothes line and inserted it into the groove that fits over the flange of the truck window hole..with a loop hanging out of it in the middle on top and also ends hanging down in the middle on the bottom.

I then put lots of vasolene into the groove along with the vynol clothes line

next I put the bottom of the window on the bottom flange and with my daughter pushing in from the out side and me in the inside we togeather got the window in place all across the bottom and up both ends almost to the top .Most of the time the vynol line came out and didnt help me with the gasket ..

Thats where it went sour on us and would not cover the flange enough to stay put and kept on slipping back off the flange ..

Finally I tore the rubber trying and that was that ,,stopped trying .. So now I am going to buy another gasket and am asking for some information on what brand I should buy and and this time I will take Kelly up on his offer to lend me a hand and help me put the window in..My daughter did great ,,but she now is going back to her home in Denver so I lost my helper..

The gasket has a 1/2 inch deep groove and my chrome has a 5/8 inch flange as far as I can tell ,,is this tipical ?? what do you think why this happened ?

I have a LMC gasket and LMC glass and LMC chrome ,,I would like to use the glass and chrome but I will need a new gasket ..gp Larry