The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 11-30-2010, 03:43 PM   #1
777ralph

Voltmeter for the stock 64 Dash?

Does anybody make a voltmeter kit to replace the ammeter in my 64's dash? The dash is the "full instruments" one, maybe from a grain truck. It has "Overspeed" and "Tandem Axle" lights!
I think the ammeter is the External shunt style, with little wires connecting it. I think it's dead, and I'd rather have a voltmeter. Any thoughts?
Ralph
777ralph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 04:11 PM   #2
MalibuKasey
Artist

Re: Voltmeter for the stock 64 Dash?

good question.... My ammeter is dead in the water as well....
Old 11-30-2010, 04:48 PM   #3
62ShortStep

I would wonder why you want a volt meter over an amp meter?

An amp meter will tell you when you're heading for trouble. A volt meter tells you you're in trouble.

When you look at the history of automobiles, the early ones had amp meters. Its not until the 60's/70's that the amp meters were replaced by a volt meters. Why? Its takes more skill and mechanical prowess to use and understand an amp meter. The volt meter was easier to read and understand by most consumers, regardless of their skill or mechanical aptitude.

The flip side, of coarse, is that some people just like the looks and readability of the volt meter, and that's okay too.
62ShortStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 05:52 PM   #4
padresag

I don't think that out ammeters work with the newer alt (they tend to overheat and stop functioning). voltage meter is the one that works.. you cna keep on using an iidiot likgth though
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 06:03 PM   #5
777ralph

"I would wonder why you want a volt meter over an amp meter?"

Cuz I think the amp meter's dead, and I've heard the amp meter horror stories. But keeping it would be OK too. OK, how can I test it? I'm in the midst of rewiring this thing, and I must be the fifteenth guy adding or changing things.
Ralph
Old 11-30-2010, 06:36 PM   #6
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

Here’s a link to an explanation/comparison between a voltmeter and an ammeter:

http://www.egauges.com/ATM_Tips.asp?...terammeter.htm

I’m not aware of anyone offering a retro voltmeter to directly install in 60-66 Chevy, but a universal voltmeter gauge can be fitted into the stock dash with a bit of effort and some ingenuity (I’ve done it before on other cars). Simply buy a typical round gauge with the markings you prefer. Remove the bezel by twisting the edges with a screwdriver (which destroys the bezel), remove the bezel and the glass, unscrew the nuts on the back of the housing and lift the gauge mechanism free. Mount the “guts” of the gauge to your original panel fabricating whatever adapter is needed to make the gauge face line up in the window correctly. This works for just about any type electrically operated gauge.

The lower left of the following photo shows the temperature gauge in my 46 Ford back in the 80’s. There were 3 more gauges to the left which aren’t shown in the picture. The fit wasn't ideal but it worked great. The other 3 looked more natural, but unfortunately I don’t have any photos showing the rest of the dash. Using the same technique, the speedometer and clock were also transplanted from a Thunderbird.

markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 07:57 PM   #7
62ShortStep

I was working on my '62 ammeter recently and found that it is not designed to have all the current running through it. Instead, it only has a small amount of by-pass current going through it to indicated current direction. I don't know if your 64 works the same way as my '62.

Most ammeters (that I've seen) are designed to carry all the current directly through it. I don't know about the ammeter horror stories...maybe they hooked the meter up directly instead of per factory specs?

I think the only way you can test it is to hook it up to the wiring (as per the factory diagram) and try it.
62ShortStep is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:22 PM   #8
padresag

this usually the reason that all of the harness fuses together in a lump,which you discover after the smoke clears away
ron
padresag is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 09:27 PM   #9
Rich 5150 69

These people, http://www.speedometershop.com/ say they can convert your amp gauge to a voltmeter, but have never seen it done, you might want to give them a call.
`68 Dart 370/904/323 suregrip
Rich 5150 69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:53 PM   #10
TR65

The ammeters in our trucks are shunt type. They just measure the voltage drop between the battery (where it connects to the starter solenoid) and the output of the alternator at the horn relay connection. The voltage drop is proportional to the current going in or out of the battery. If the battery voltage is higher it shows discharge, if the alt voltage is higher it shows charge.

Mine works fine with a modern alternator and LS2 motor.

TR

LS2 Swap Thread http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=413880
TR65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:27 AM   #11
777ralph

Thanks Rich and TR65! Now I have the correct connection points and a way to see if it works, and a solution if it doesn't. Much appreciated. Please don't expect a quick response about the outcome, though. At the rate I work, this may take a while!
Ralph