The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1960 - 1966 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2010, 10:11 AM   #1
Real_McCoy

How do you store your bed?

I have at least two beds to store while I am rebuilding a couple of trucks. Currently, I have them on carts laying flat as the would on the truck, but this eats up a lot of shop space. I am thinking of fabbing a cart that will hold the beds verticle, sideways this would minimize the footprint they take up. My ceilings are only 8' tall and the bed is 8'5" with chains. What do you all use to store your beds while they are off frame?
Real_McCoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:27 AM   #2
C3Killer

Re: How do you store your bed?

Hook a couple ratcheting tie downs on each corner, and strap the bed to the rafters. You'll loose a couple feet of ceiling, but floorspace is more important I would think. That's what I would try.
C3Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 10:30 AM   #3
C3Killer

After thought, leave the tailgate off, and still use the bed for "storage of nice trim parts that you don't want messed up."
C3Killer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 11:17 AM   #4
lakeroadster
Account Suspended

I put some very large casters on the bottom of mine. Since it is a stepside I removed the fenders and store them along with alot of other truck "pieces parts" in the bed. When I need to move it out of the way I just roll it out the door. Work pretty slick.
Attached Images

lakeroadster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:02 PM   #5
GMR-PERFORMANCE

like this...
Attached Images

GMR-PERFORMANCE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:06 PM   #6
Real_McCoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by C3Killer View Post
Hook a couple ratcheting tie downs on each corner, and strap the bed to the rafters. You'll loose a couple feet of ceiling, but floorspace is more important I would think. That's what I would try.
Quote:
Originally Posted by C3Killer View Post
After thought, leave the tailgate off, and still use the bed for "storage of nice trim parts that you don't want messed up."
C3Killer >> I have thought about this, but as I said my ceiling is only 8' and this doesn't leave much headroom. Also, my ceiling is finished off and the rafters are not accessible.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakeroadster View Post
I put some very large casters on the bottom of mine. Since it is a stepside I removed the fenders and store them along with alot of other truck "pieces parts" in the bed. When I need to move it out of the way I just roll it out the door. Work pretty slick.
Lakeroadster >> This is something similar to what I am contemplating. I am thinking of building a rotisserie so I can rotate the bed into upright position for storage or flat for body work. Thoughts?
Old 12-02-2010, 02:08 PM   #7
Real_McCoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR-PERFORMANCE View Post
like this...

Last edited by Real_McCoy; 12-02-2010 at 02:08 PM. Reason: typo
Old 12-02-2010, 02:13 PM   #8
GMR-PERFORMANCE

well everyone covered it well and I thought being on the funny side would make a few people smile....
Old 12-02-2010, 02:26 PM   #9
Altec
Getcha Pull

Do they have to be inside? I found picnic tables to be good for bed storage.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...t/100_5662.jpg

What about something like a pipe rack, but with only one row? A stand like that, with wide padded "shelf" like areas. Have them sitting so that the bed is on its side. Just have wide pads so the bed doesn't dent.

I would suggest a similar rack design, but instead of pads have brackets come off to bole the bed to it using the factory holes. This would work, but you would need at least three people to attach the bed. Kind of a PITA.
'96 Integra
Altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:31 PM   #10
GMR-PERFORMANCE

http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-tu...ot-tub-189548/ hot tube while you think about the next upgrade??

Last edited by GMR-PERFORMANCE; 12-02-2010 at 02:34 PM.
Old 12-02-2010, 02:32 PM   #11
iiizman

Probably not the most correct, but i put two pieces of carpet down, stood it on the tailgate and bungy corded to the studs so it wouldn't fall. I got a nice sturdy 65 fleetside swb. Anyway it gave me alot of room..

Last edited by iiizman; 12-02-2010 at 02:33 PM.
iiizman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:32 PM   #12
markeb01
Senior Enthusiast

A simple solution would be to put down a row of highly inflated old inner tubes, long enough to support the side of the bed. Then just tip it over on the tubes and tether it to the wall. Just orient the valve stems so they can be inflated periodically if needed. Perhaps a tire store could provide used tubes for next to nothing.
markeb01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:47 PM   #13
Altec
Getcha Pull

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
A simple solution would be to put down a row of highly inflated old inner tubes, long enough to support the side of the bed. Then just tip it over on the tubes and tether it to the wall. Just orient the valve stems so they can be inflated periodically if needed. Perhaps a tire store could provide used tubes for next to nothing.
That is a good idea! I know my biggest concern would be keeping the beds from warping. That would cover it there.
'96 Integra
Altec is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 02:47 PM   #14
Real_McCoy

Quote:
Originally Posted by GMR-PERFORMANCE View Post
http://www.wonderhowto.com/how-to-tu...ot-tub-189548/ hot tube while you think about the next upgrade??

Quote:
Originally Posted by iiizman View Post
Probably not the most correct, but i put two pieces of carpet down, stood it on the tailgate and bungy corded to the studs so it wouldn't fall. I got a nice sturdy 65 fleetside swb. Anyway it gave me alot of room..
I thought of this, but the ceiling is too low.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markeb01 View Post
This might work for the time being.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Altec View Post
Do they have to be inside? I found picnic tables to be good for bed storage.

http://i13.photobucket.com/albums/a2...t/100_5662.jpg

What about something like a pipe rack, but with only one row? A stand like that, with wide padded "shelf" like areas. Have them sitting so that the bed is on its side. Just have wide pads so the bed doesn't dent.

I would suggest a similar rack design, but instead of pads have brackets come off to bole the bed to it using the factory holes. This would work, but you would need at least three people to attach the bed. Kind of a PITA.
I prefer to keep them inside. Damn tweekers will run off with them to the scrap metal yard.

Long term, I am leaning toward the rack design bolting to the factory mounts, but as a rotisserrie so I can lock the frame flat, bolt the bed and then rotate it to verticle.

Thanks for all the suggestions.