The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-02-2010, 10:24 PM   #1
breezy

OD is in, Have E-brake question?

Got off work at 2:30 today. Got to the shop and got truck on rack about 3. At 5 tranny was in and drive line was being measured to get cut down tommorow. Not bad time for just me and some hand tools. lifts and tranny jacks are great. Knowing someone that has them is even better.
I do have a question. Do the e-brake cables go on top or under the cross member? They were run below to start, but cross member has been out so that might be wrong. Looks like they could go on top and not get in the way of anything. Just wondering where the factory put them or if anyone has them over the cross member. Wpould keep them from getting caught on limbs or brush and such.
breezy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 11:54 AM   #2
arkansas

Re: OD is in, Have E-brake question?

Mine with a T350 had them above the crossmember. After reading some of the threads, I think I'm going to put a 200 4r in mine and hope to keep them above the cross member. Seems safer that way to avoid "hang-ups". Hate to hit a dog or something and end up locking up the rear.
arkansas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 01:16 PM   #3
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

I don't know wher they were stock, but if no interference I'd put on top out of harms way.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2010, 09:11 PM   #4
breezy

Well I finally got the truck back on the ground and everything went great. I new in the back of my mind something would go wrong. It did. Wrong convertor. Tranny guy gave me a 32 spline and the tranny was 28 or something like that. Started truck and what a growling noise it was. He got me the correct one and pulled tranny and installed. All is good right. Wrong! Shifts out of 1st at 5 mph then between 2-3 it revs up before going into gear. Sometimes I don't know why I even try.Sure someone doesn't want to buy a truck with alot of money spent on it. I hate this thing!

Last edited by breezy; 12-04-2010 at 09:12 PM.
Old 12-05-2010, 12:14 AM   #5
VetteVet
Msgt USAF Ret

The 82 through 84s were 28 spline and were the worst of the 700s. I doubt if it will hold up under very much power without some heavy mods. You can make the converter lock up with hydraulics instead of electrically by putting a 1/4 steel ball above the lockup solenoid. It will lockup in 2nd 3rd and 4th. Downshifting might be a little harsh but mine wasn't too noticeable .

metallic green 67 stepside
74 corvette convertible
1965 Harley sportster
1995 Harley wide glide

Growing old is hell, but it beats the alternative.
VetteVet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 09:01 AM   #6
rsavage

Don't give up. It sounds like the TV cable isn't adjusted properly. If it isn't, it will cause the symptoms you are describing. What kind of carb do you have? 200 4 R or 700? You will need a bracket that will work correctly. Don't drive it without it hooked up and adjusted properly as it will toast the tranny. Lots of info on TV cable adjustment on Bowtie Overdrives site.
2021 Durango RT 5.7
rsavage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2010, 01:00 PM   #7
breezy

I have the correct linkage and carb from an 82-3 chevy. TV cable was adjusted to GM specs and also checked how to on the bowtie site.I really belive the tranny is screwed up. I guess I need to learn how to build a trans. I get so tired of paying someone to screw something up. And it's always not there fault. I've adjusted TV one notch both ways and still not correct. Seems it works better when the tranny is cold but after driving around it gets worse. I don't even want to call my tranny guy I'm so po'd the more I think about it the madder I get. I have the worst luck with farming work out. Try to help my local shops out and they do poor work. I've tried all three trans guys in my town and have never had one go in and work the first time. How do they stay in business is beyond my belief.