The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-06-2010, 12:25 PM   #1
Mertz

Stall speed for towing

I have been all over the web and can't seem to get a good answer as to what stall speed converter I should get for my application.

This a 72 C20 with 350 with 350TH that has been tuned correctly with timing, wires, plugs, Quadrajet with perfromer intake dual plane, MSD ignition, headers, dual exhaust with cross pipe, rebuilt trans and 4.10 rear end gears. Stock cam. I am guessing a little over stock hp what ever that is. I don't have a tach in the truck but it does not rev very high when I power brake and I absolutley can't break the tires loose unless I start on gravel. I have great accelloration after 35 mph but it is a dog below that. 50 to 85 is quick and does not over rev.

I don't use the truck a lot but would like to have an easier time pulling my 6000lb trailer. Once I am up to speed there isn't much of a problem. I am having trouble getting it moving even with the 4.10 gears. I think my problem is in the stall speed of the converter. The guy that rebuilt the trans said he put a stock converter in it, what ever that is. I have read to go with a 13" out of a 400R with a stall of 1500. I have seen some Hughes TCs built for towing that have a stall of 1800. I have read that I need a high stall to get the engine up in the power band. Should I be looking as low as 1800 or would I be better off at 2000 to 2200? This truck is not used entirely for towing but that is what I need it tuned for. The few trips to the Home Depot are not as important as being able to tow.
Mertz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 12:42 PM   #2
hugger6933

Re: Stall speed for towing

1800 may be fine 200 as well but I would'nt go over that with the cam you are running. If you get to high of a stall speed in your truck it will overheat the trans easier. Jim
hugger6933 is offline   Reply With Quote