The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1967 - 1972 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2010, 11:03 AM   #1
shrike

Engine is cold

ok, first a little backstory:
I had the truck last winter, with the original heater core and 1 speed on the fan (basically on or off) and it seemed to warm the truck adequately. I also had no working temp gauge.

This summer, I installed Vintage Air (which includes a new heater core and fan) and put a new intake manifold on (including a new thermostat) and installed a temp gauge.
ever since then, the temp gauge read really low unless I was sitting in traffic for like 30 minutes in the summer with the air on. Then it would creep up over 200. Most of the time it would run at 150 or less.
I thought it was possibly a bad temp gauge (and I am going to replace it, Im not happy with it for other reasons) but just lately we have had a cold snap (in the 30's) and the heater will not blow even warm air unless I have been driving the truck for 45 minutes or so and the gauge reads at least 150. Most of the time, driving around town the gauge is sitting at the bottom, not even moving and the heater blows cold air.

I am guessing the thermostat is either defective or installed wrong but I thought I would post and see if anyone else had any ideas.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:09 AM   #2
cdowns

Re: Engine is cold

use a knon good thermometer and take the temp of the coolant in the radiator
71c-10 350/2004r/4:11 lowered3/4 longbed/dead by hurricane

MEANING OF DEATH::::: SOMEBODY ELSE GETS YOUR STUFF

DONT BELIEVE EVERYTHING YOU THINK

TAKE MY ADVISE;I DON'T USE IT ANYWAY
cdowns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 11:10 AM   #3
MrDude_1

engine thermostat.

replace it first (its like $6)
MrDude_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:09 PM   #4
ksjh1316
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrDude_1 View Post
engine thermostat.

replace it first (its like $6)
I agree 100% sounds like it is stuck open. Had a Toyota this happened in froze my rear off for a month before I got to the thermostat
ksjh1316 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 12:23 PM   #5
Jacfourteen
Big Red - Now its a SWB!

X3 on the T-stat. I usually throw the new one in a pan with a thermometer and boil it to see when it opens and if it opens all the way. They are just so unreliable now, its good insurance to see that they work before installing. Oh the spring goes down toward the block, since you said it may be in wrong.
68 3/4 ton (Project)-350 Small Block, .030 over, 10:1 comp, 3998993 heads, C3BX edelbrock intake, comp cams XE268, Holley 670 SA, long tube headers, dual flow 40's, E-fan, Alum rad, currently under the knife getting shortened and bagged build thread
41 3/4 ton (wife's)-flatbed, fully restored to original
01 Tahoe LT 4WD (my daily driver)-Magnaflow Muffler, Rollin on 22's
02 Ford Mustang Convertable (Wife's Car)-Flowmaster 50, Clear corners, Intake, sittin on 18's
Jacfourteen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 01:14 PM   #6
Zeke's Garage

x1.5 million on the Thermostat. I'm of the mind that folks stay away from the MotoRad 'Failsafe' models that lock open when they 'fail'. I've got one in my '67 That stuck open, and now one in my '99 Suburban that's 'failed' open.

I pulled the one out of my '67 that was stuck open, released the little locks on the plunger to close it again,and put it in a pan of heating water. Whereupon it snapped locked again at 160 degrees (The opening temp). Any one else have problems with these? I got mine at Oreilly's but I'm sure they're sold everywhere.
Zeke's Garage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:17 PM   #7
shrike

Dont remember the brand, but I got mine at oreillys also.
Well, thanks for the input. I guess I know what I'll be doing this weekend!
Old 12-09-2010, 05:30 PM   #8
Stubbs67

pick up an OEM thermostat. I hate aftermarkets. The oem ones are 1 million times better than the autoparts specials. The ones from auto parts stores are all low quality isreal or pakistan made junk, here is a comparo, the awesome brass one is OEM subaru, the other is "oem replacement" from allimport auto parts

my heat was cold, and my car ran hot on hill pulls... junk.
My Build Thread!
http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=433751

Need step tail gate and bed front, driver door, both front fenders (both are bondo'd nightmares). can trade fleetside bed parts real straight (except sides) or pay some cash (i am pretty broke)
Stubbs67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #9
grs

I think Stant is a good thermostat. I agree you should check it before you install it.
grs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 05:42 PM   #10
shrike

where can I get a OEM thermostat? The Dealers near me all show that it is discontinued...
Old 12-09-2010, 05:45 PM   #11
MrDude_1

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike View Post
where can I get a OEM thermostat? The Dealers near me all show that it is discontinued...
fact is.. dont worry about it.
from the best thermostat to the cheapist... they're all so stupid simple that if it works at all, it will continue to work for the next decade without issue.

some people get all worked up over nothing. its a SBC.. you literally have hundreds to choose from...
if you're worried about it just get a "stock replacement" stant one. they're the most popular name brand replacement, and will be on the shelf everywhere.
MrDude_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 06:01 PM   #12
Stubbs67

Quote:
Originally Posted by grs View Post
I think Stant is a good thermostat. I agree you should check it before you install it.
stant is probably as close to oem as you will ever get. Their QC is really good. I have seen so many Oreilly's and duralasts suck right out of the box, and one killed my old suby motor, just 2 months after i installed it. It was stuck shut... and it did NOT do it progressively, it just leaked out its wax and snapped shut.

You could also go with performance quality aftermarket. Good options there too.
My Build Thread!

Need step tail gate and bed front, driver door, both front fenders (both are bondo'd nightmares). can trade fleetside bed parts real straight (except sides) or pay some cash (i am pretty broke)

Last edited by Stubbs67; 12-09-2010 at 06:02 PM.
Old 12-09-2010, 11:00 PM   #13
AustinScott

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeke's Garage View Post
x1.5 million on the Thermostat. I'm of the mind that folks stay away from the MotoRad 'Failsafe' models that lock open when they 'fail'. I've got one in my '67 That stuck open, and now one in my '99 Suburban that's 'failed' open.

I pulled the one out of my '67 that was stuck open, released the little locks on the plunger to close it again,and put it in a pan of heating water. Whereupon it snapped locked again at 160 degrees (The opening temp). Any one else have problems with these? I got mine at Oreilly's but I'm sure they're sold everywhere.
YEah i went thru 3 of these "fail safe" garbage T-stats. I did the same thing when testing them & right about 180 it opened to far and snap the lock, not allowing it to close... what garbage.
AustinScott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 02:18 AM   #14
Ed 72 Sierra Grande

Bought one when I got the truck in July. Going for the stant oem type after reading this on the fail safes. I'll take it back and exchange it.

Thanks to all for that one.
402 bb / Camper
Stock, Loaded, Straight & Aged Nicely, No Tilt
Original Resto would be nice $
Ed 72 Sierra Grande is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2010, 11:48 AM   #15
shrike

Went and bought a Stant on the way home and installed it last night. The old oreilly one had locked open.
I boiled the stant with a meat thermometer to verify it opened and closed correctly before I put it in.
It worked great, had plenty of heat on the way in this morning.
Thanks for the replies!
Old 12-10-2010, 12:29 PM   #16
Stubbs67

no problemo!
My Build Thread!