The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network

Register or Log In To remove these advertisements.

Go Back   The 1947 - Present Chevrolet & GMC Truck Message Board Network > 47 - Current classic GM Trucks > The 1947 - 1959 Chevrolet & GMC Pickups Message Board

Web 67-72chevytrucks.com

Old 12-09-2010, 01:19 PM   #1
Laid_Out_50

Power Steering Pumps

I have a MII with power rack and pinion going into my project. I was just wondering what you guys are using as far as p/s pumps. Who is using an OEM pump and who's using aftermarket Borgeson/Saginaw pumps. I have a 401 Nailhead going in my project if thats any help.

Last edited by Laid_Out_50; 12-09-2010 at 03:21 PM.
Laid_Out_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:03 PM   #2
raycow

Re: Power Steering Pumps

I didn't know there was such a thing as an aftermarket Saginaw pump. Wouldn't an OE Buick pump be easier to mount?

Ray
Old 12-09-2010, 03:41 PM   #3
mr48chev

I'd think that a standard Saginaw pump with the factory Buick brackets would be the most practical and best all all around setup. You would need the correct reservoir for the engine and brackets but I think most of the pumps that have the nut on the shaft are the same. Usually you match the reservoir and pulleys to the engine. This pump doesn't show to go on a nailhead but as an example of what a pump that fits my 71 GMC also fits. http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...2869&ppt=C0031 If you click on compatibility you will see that the pump it's self fits several thousand models of vehicles depending on the control valve, reservoir and pulley you put on it.

Last edited by mr48chev; 12-09-2010 at 03:52 PM.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 03:56 PM   #4
Laid_Out_50

They are same part I take it older GM PS pumps are universal. So I should run the gm pump with pressure valve to lower the pressure to acomidate for the Ford rack
Laid_Out_50 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2010, 04:07 PM   #5
mr48chev

That's what I would do and what I intend to do on my 48 in the next few months.
I'm a serious advocate of using parts like power steering pumps, alternators and distributors that are pretty much standard and use standard and easy to come by repair parts. The custom stuff is nice but if you really put miles on the truck and take it more than a few miles and a couple of hours away from home it's nice to know that you can get repair pieces at most well stocked parts houses.

And yes we both need to run the correct control valve to get the pressure down right for the MII rack.
mr48chev is offline   Reply With Quote